android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Android

Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 AM

Default XOOM celebrating independence a month early—independence from Honeycomb

Verizon has just announced that the Motorola XOOM will be its first Honeycomb tablet to be updated to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The switch is set to take place on June 4, for better or for worse, and will include “speech-to-text technology and the ability to dismiss individual notifications by swiping a finger over an item. Users can also customize the new launch bar as well as create folders to access frequently used apps from the homepage.” And, in case you forgot, it also features “a built-in photo editor allowing customers to crop and rotate photos, remove red eyes, add effects and correct levels of images.”

The XOOM tablet has not had the best reception—but then, what tablet really has? The way I see it, ICS can only serve to make the device better. If nothing else, it will at least look better. Verizon may be dead slow at giving us updates, but it is aware of this. So just in case you were about to give up hope—or gave up hope three months ago—Verizon took time in the short press release to remind us of the devices currently slated for upgrading.

Those devices are, HTC: ThunderBolt, DROID Incredible 2, Rhyme, Rezound. Motorola: XOOM, DROID BIONIC, DROID RAZR, DROID RAZR MAXX, DROID 4, DROID XYBOARD 8.2, DROID XYBOARD 10.1. Samsung: Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy Tab 7.7. LG: Spectrum, Lucid. So, how many of you are ecstatic at this news, and how many have just given up waiting for a Verizon ICS update?

[Verizon | 2 via Slash Gear]

Last edited by Brendan Hugo; 06-08-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Hugo View Post
[CENTER]Verizon has just announced that the Motorola XOOM will be its first Gingerbread tablet to be updated to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Its actually being upgraded from Honeycomb. The XOOM was the Honeycomb launch device, while Gingerbread was the previous version of Android.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 AM

Wow, you're absolutely right. I was entirely on auto-pilot for that one. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

No problem. I swapped the title too.

Tags
verizon