android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphone Amplifiers (Portable)

Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Default what LOD chord is needed to connect a fiio e7 to a sansa clip+?

I'm sure this is a novice question, but I'm relatively new to the audio game.

I just bought a Sansa Clip+, and I wish to outfit it with a Fiio E7 DAC. I bought the L7 LOD, but I'm not sure if that'll help me to bypass the Clip+'s internal DAC.

What LOD is needed? Thanks for the help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aname View Post
I'm sure this is a novice question, but I'm relatively new to the audio game.

I just bought a Sansa Clip+, and I wish to outfit it with a Fiio E7 DAC. I bought the L7 LOD, but I'm not sure if that'll help me to bypass the Clip+'s internal DAC.

What LOD is needed? Thanks for the help.
You can't bypass the Clip's DAC. Then again, you really don't need to....it's very good quality. You can connect a cable from the headphone-out to the E7 to use it as an external amplifier, but not as a DAC.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 AM

Gotcha. I suppose I didn't need to spring for the E7, then, if it's acting simply as an amp. Oh, well. Thanks for the response.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Gotcha. I suppose I didn't need to spring for the E7, then, if it's acting simply as an amp. Oh, well. Thanks for the response.
You could use the E7 with your computer, if that's any consolation.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
You could use the E7 with your computer, if that's any consolation.
Ha. It is. I intend to do so. I bought a lineout for my computer so I could use a USB connection and circumvent its sound card.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 PM

I'm having a problem with the DAC and my laptop speakers. I'm using Logitech z623s, and for some reason, it'll play using the lineout from the DAC to the speaker, but it won't register the DAC's bass boost or volume control options. The only way to control volume and bass is the Logitech speaker controls. How do I fix this?

Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 PM

It's worth noting that I'm going through my line out on the L7 attached to the E7.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I'm having a problem with the DAC and my laptop speakers. I'm using Logitech z623s, and for some reason, it'll play using the lineout from the DAC to the speaker, but it won't register the DAC's bass boost or volume control options. The only way to control volume and bass is the Logitech speaker controls. How do I fix this?
I'm pretty sure that the bass boost and volume control on the E7 are only for the amplifier section of it....not the DAC section. So it can be either a DAC or an amp, but not both at the same time.

But I am not 100% sure....hopefully one of the people here that do own an E7 can confirm this.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the bass boost and volume control on the E7 are only for the amplifier section of it....not the DAC section. So it can be either a DAC or an amp, but not both at the same time.

But I am not 100% sure....hopefully one of the people here that do own an E7 can confirm this.
Ah. I see.

When I ran the laptop to the DAC directly to the speakers, it would let me use the FiiO volume control and bass boost, but when I ran the laptop to the DAC, then applied the L7 dock with a line out to the speakers, it wouldn't.

I apologize for all the novice questions, but would it function as a DAC when I use the L7 dock with a line out to the speakers, but then it acts as an amp when I connect the speakers to the DAC directly through the headphone jack (which is when I can use the bass boost and volume control on the DAC)?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Ah. I see.

When I ran the laptop to the DAC directly to the speakers, it would let me use the FiiO volume control and bass boost, but when I ran the laptop to the DAC, then applied the L7 dock with a line out to the speakers, it wouldn't.

I apologize for all the novice questions, but would it function as a DAC when I use the L7 dock with a line out to the speakers, but then it acts as an amp when I connect the speakers to the DAC directly through the headphone jack (which is when I can use the bass boost and volume control on the DAC)?
Found this on Amazon.com....
Quote:
The FiiO L7 is designed to be used with the E7 USB DAC/AMP, providing a dedicated line-out jack for sending a high quality line-level signal to other devices such as a stereo or amplifier.
So I think you're right.....using the L7 is just for using it as a DAC, and giving you a line-out signal to the speakers you have hooked up. Connecting them to the headphone jack is allowing the amp to come into play....of course, if they are self-powered speakers, that may not be the best option.

Sorry I can't be 100% sure.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Sorry I can't be 100% sure.
No worries. Thanks for giving me feedback and helping me along. It's much appreciated.