android
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Help Ipod vs walkman !!

hey guys !!

so i used to have an ipod touch 2g ,,it was pretty good ,,the sound are nice and loud ,,now i want to get an sony walkman mp3 device ,,so i was wandering ,i know that the walkman has a better sound quality that the ipod ,,but is it as loud as the ipod ?

sorry for my bad English thank you !!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollz0r View Post
hey guys !!

so i used to have an ipod touch 2g ,,it was pretty good ,,the sound are nice and loud ,,now i want to get an sony walkman mp3 device ,,so i was wandering ,i know that the walkman has a better sound quality that the ipod ,,but is it as loud as the ipod ?

sorry for my bad English thank you !!
What headphones are you using? The sound quality depends a lot on the headphones. I myself have the walkman NWZ-A845 and it is pretty loud for me! If you are using the stock earphones with the walkman,14/30 volume will suffice you. I drive the ATH M50 (full sized cans) with my walkman and i usually listen to it at 17/30. You will not get FLAC support with the walkman but the sound quality is better. However you can ROCKBOX your IPOD if you want to mod it.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 AM

It depends what part of the world you are in. If you are in Europe then I am afraid to say that the Sony DAPs are heavily volume capped due to those silly EU regulations. If on the other hand you are anywhere else in the world then I say go for the Sony DAPs. They will be just as loud as the Apple iPods if not louder plus the Sony has much better SQ than the iPods due to its custom EQ.

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Old 05-29-2012, 04:21 PM

I stopped being a fan of sony mp3 players because the lack of bigger players here in mexico or the USA only 16GB max

I bought an ipod classic and to be honest it sounds pretty balanced in the sound spectrum.

I find the sony walkman to be more leaned towards bassy side, not so ideal for classical music

A fatal flaw of walkmans is their DSEE or what ever it is called, that restores your ultra compressed mp3 files to sound 'pristine', i discovered on my ipod i had downloaded a fake 320 mp3 files of bach harpsichord concertos..... they were mp3 96 kbps and i never detcted the garbage on my walkman A818 and x1060.

But it's u to you to take a decision

Fortunately i downloaded the flacs of those concertos and made an mp3 192 kbps version

Last edited by skip252; 05-29-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts instead of multiposting

Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Administrator

How is it the fault the fault of the player if you used a DSP to change the sound of a file? You made the decision to attempt to make the files sound better and the player did as it was directed. That it you weren't able to detect the difference is actually an endorsement rather than a "fatal flaw". If you were able to make it sound pleasing the DSP accomplished it's purpose.

BTW, as long as you're downloading instead of ripping you will never know if the files are the same as the original source. Some of the files from supposedly reputable commercial sources have been shown to be re-encoded to lossless from lossy sources. If you're getting the files from other sources the chances increase that somewhere along the way someone did the same to your FLAC files.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not an iPod hater, but I find the fact that the Sony made the crappy mp3 files sound good to be a plus, NOT a minus. Both devices sound spectacular.