android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves007 View Post
can I confirm the following "rules":

1) You can use a 64gb SD card as long as you don't have more than 8,000 files on it
Correct.

This is a J3 firmware limit, no matter how large internal and external storage each are capacity-wise.

Quote:
2) You can get up to ~96gb (32gb on the player + 64gb) as long as you only have 8,000 files on the player and 8,000 on the SD card

Hence, under either of these circumstances, you can consider the expanded player maxed out(?):

You put 8,000 files of 1mb on the player and 8,000 1mb files on the SD card (16gb used in total); or

You put 8,000 files of 4mb on the player and 8,000 8mb files on the SD card (96gb used in total)
Correct.

So it's still 8000 music files and 4000 "other files" on internal storage, and the same 8000+4000 limit on external storage (even the 64GB external storage). That's a total of 16,000 music files with no more than 8,000 each on internal and external.

I suspect that you can still probably store more than that number of files and then get to all of it using the "physical browse" method (i.e. Library -> [Folders], which is like Windows Explorer). But using "logical browse" and the finite sized tags database itself (e.g. for artists, albums, years, genres, and song titles) the firmware/database limits of 8000 on both internal and external apply.

Quote:
In which case, I suppose the best strategy is to make sure that movies, 1-hour long DJ mixes etc etc go on the SD card and the smaller files go on the player?
If your collection is so large that the 8000 file limit on either internal or external storage truly is an issue then I suppose you'll have to figure out how best to divide things to stay within the 8000 maximum for music files on each.

But then that's why the "logical browse" using the "tags database" is advantageous, because it doesn't really matter where the music files are... they will still be discovered, analyzed, and accessed correctly, even if you suddenly have to move a big block from internal to external or vice versa.