android
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Default My J3 keeps disconnecting from my PC

Hello all. I have just received my Cowon J3 today. Everything is good except for one thing. Everytime I connect it to my PC, unless I keep on pushing it in, it disconnects. I managed to get one song on but I can't go on like this. Please help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 AM

You mean you get the "disconnected hardware" sound, as if you'd actually pulled the USB cable out from the PC? Is that end of the USB cable firmly inserted? Have you tried another USB socket on the PC?

Is the other end of the USB cable pushed all the way into the J3's socket? There is a detent position on the J3's USB socket, and you have to firmly push the cable THROUGH that point, so that the bottom of the plastic part of the cable plug is fully flush against the edge of the J3 case. That thin proprietary USB end had to be pushed ALL THE WAY INTO the J3 socket, so that it has been securely "grabbed" by the socket.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the very quick reply. It seems I didn't push the proprietary end in hard enough. Thanks again.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvardboy View Post
Thanks for the very quick reply. It seems I didn't push the proprietary end in hard enough. Thanks again.
Glad you got that worked out. Seems to be the #1 most common mistake new owners make.

Note that if you just got your J3 today, you should be sure and charge it up for a good few hours before using it even if it seems to have a usable charge from the factory.

After that, my own personal practice is to use it normally but not to connect it to PC or charger until the battery indicator gets down to the 25% mark. Note that the battery indicator is not really very precise, and does not have a continuous metering. It's really only got 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%.

Also, although the battery life of the J3 is terrific, you also have to be realistic. The higher the volume the more electricity you'll use. The more you have the screen display on and the brighter it is, the VERY MUCH MORE electricity you'll use. The more you use the interface (e.g. to navigate), and the more you play high bitrate audio or video, the more CPU horsepower you'll be using and thus the more electricity you'll use.

Also, if you put it to "sleep" rather than "power off" it will use somewhat more electricity.

In other words you are almost guaranteed to NOT get 64 hours of life from a single charge. But depending on your usage pattern you could certainly get days (or even weeks) before you really do require a charge.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep a note of those.