android
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Default Album art matrix doesn't show. Please help?

Aaaahhh, could need some help! I checked all over the internet but can't find a solution.

All of a sudden: my album art doesn't show when I turn the J3 to the left or right, while playing. In Matrix view. When I play an invidual song it is indeed mostly showing album cover.

I am using the standerd Cowon interface.
I have the J3 in MSC mode, always.
I use Windows 7 drag and drop to get files on the J3.
I have the latest firmware. 2.29
I am using MP3nity for taging and Album art.
I have imbedded the album cover in each individual song. There is no jpg file in the folder, just in every song.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 PM

A cover.jpg in the folder? Might depend on the how you have your music organized.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 PM

Well I embedded album art in every single file, and I have like 20 albums which I transfered on the J3 before, and it does show those covers.

It only doesn't show album covers of NEW folders I put on the J3. Huh? EVEN if I put a jpg album cover named "cover" in the folder. It just doesn't accept anything new it seems...

Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 PM

Are your music files MP3 or FLAC or OGG or WMA or APE?

When you rotate the J3 horizontally, do you see the 2x5 matrix, but for the newly copied albums you see the default placeholder music note instead of the album art you expect to see?

The album art for Matrix Browser is actually 95x95 miniatures, resized by the J3 at boot time by analysis of all of your newly discovered music files and stored in \System\MusicDB as individual ab_nnn.jpg images. If you can browse your J3 with an image viewer program while it's connected to a PC and look at the \System\MusicDB, you should see all of this album art images.

If you don't have ab_nnn.jpg miniatures in \System\MusicDB for the newly copied music then that's the root cause of the symptom you are seeing in Matrix Browser. If so, we need to find out why the J3 isn't developing those 95x95 miniatures for your newly copied music.

Again... what type of music files are these? And did you copy the music files while the J3 was in MSC mode or MTP mode?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 AM

thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!

When I go to the system folder \System\MusicDB as individual ab_nnn.jpg images I see some pics of albums that "work", who DO show cover art in the matrix. The new ones I only see a file which is empty. When I click it and go to properties it says it is empty.

I tried to use mp3tag.de and when I use that software instead of MP3nity, it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just that I want to add lyrics and I don't know if mp3tag.de can do that. However, my main problem is now solved!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks anyway for the help!!! I really don't understand why mp3tag.de works and the other mp3nity doesn't. Weird!!!!!!

BTW, using MP3 only,

Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayaloha View Post
thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!

When I go to the system folder \System\MusicDB as individual ab_nnn.jpg images I see some pics of albums that "work", who DO show cover art in the matrix. The new ones I only see a file which is empty. When I click it and go to properties it says it is empty.
AHA!

So we've gotten to at least understand why you're seeing no picture in Matrix Browser for these new files... because the 95x95 miniature actually doesn't contain a true usable JPG image.

Quote:
I tried to use mp3tag.de and when I use that software instead of MP3nity, it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To be honest, I'd never heard of MP3nity. I myself only use MP3Tag for all my tagging needs (although I do not imbed my album art in tags, but rather use the cover.jpg per physical album folder approach).

It does sound like MP3nity is the culprit. I have 100% confidence that MP3Tag is your absolute best choice for a tagging utility.

And now that you've seen it can do a proper job of imbedding usable album art in the tags of your new music files, even while MP3nity apparently did not... well, you can just throw away MP3nity. Believe me, MP3Tag is a super-program (with lots of powerful capabilities and sophisticated options and features that I suspect you're not yet aware of).

Quote:
It's just that I want to add lyrics and I don't know if mp3tag.de can do that.
I have no direct knowledge on the subject of lyrics, which I don't use.

However you'll probably find this post on the MP3Tag Forum very informative and useful, in making use of the UNSYNCEDLYRICS tag field to hold the lyrics. Of course the J3 doesn't make use of this field as far as I know. I think it uses an .LRC file for lyrics.

Quote:
However, my main problem is now solved!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks anyway for the help!!! I really don't understand why mp3tag.de works and the other mp3nity doesn't. Weird!!!!!!
Because MP3Tag is a terrific program, and MP3nity obviously is not.

Anyway, glad you got your important problem sorted out.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 AM

well, downside of mp3tag is that when you have a double CD, I don't know how to put all the songs in one and the same folder. MP3nity makes you adjust the numbers and so on, don't know how to do that in mp3tag...

Old 05-05-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
well, downside of mp3tag is that when you have a double CD, I don't know how to put all the songs in one and the same folder. MP3nity makes you adjust the numbers and so on, don't know how to do that in mp3tag...
I don't follow your question. Are you asking about how to change "track number" using MP3Tag? There's a column for that tag field, and you simply change the numbers and simultaneously update the tag in the music file by overtyping in that cell and pressing ENTER or TAB. Or, you can change the value in the "tag panel" (while setting the other fields to "<keep>") and then push the SAVE button. Either approach updates the "track number" tag field. Is that your question??

There is no ID3 tag field for "disc number". So if you had two CDs and each had 12 tracks, the best you can do is number them 1-12 and then 13-24, assuming you wanted them both in the same folder.

Or, I myself opt to create two folders in such a situation, one called "... (CD1)" and the other called "... (CD2)". And then the tracks in each folder are simply 1-12, and again 1-12. This allows me to put the same "cover.jpg" in each folder, or a unique "cover.jpg" for CD1 vs. CD2. Why wouldn't this approach work for you?

What exactly is the issue you're asking about?

Old 05-05-2012, 04:23 PM

thanks. You understand exactly what I mean actually. Problem solved. I discovered the field where you can change the numbers. So now I do have 1-12 and 13-24 so to say. I don't like my albums to show up twice in cover art. Thats why... To album covers for one double cd is a bit much... Thanks 4 the help!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
thanks. You understand exactly what I mean actually. Problem solved. I discovered the field where you can change the numbers. So now I do have 1-12 and 13-24 so to say.
Glad you got this sorted out. As you have noticed, I'm VERY high on MP3Tag and its wide assortment of capabilities (e.g. sophisticated "search" and "filters", recursion through folder/sub-folders, etc.).

Quote:
I don't like my albums to show up twice in cover art. Thats why... To album covers for one double cd is a bit much... Thanks 4 the help!
I don't actually use the standard Cowon user interface, so I'm never using Matrix Browser and landscape mode where this might be an issue.

Instead I use Kizune's UCI replacement package (Lynx, Leaf, Sense and Vision) where the horizontal Matrix Browser presentation is not supported. So for me, album art only appears when I'm playing music, and then the relevant cover.jpg in the containing physical album folder is all that displays. My music collection is organized to match: \Music\Artist\Album, so there's one physical album folder for one musical album, which holds only the tracks for that CD and the one related cover.jpg.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:58 AM

Default chtah

hey I also wanna download Kizune Cheetah, but that album cover matrix is nice though I think. WHat I dont like in the original firmware is that I cant automatically browse through folders. I always have to go back couple of times with the arrow. Besides that its not that bad.... And, again, I like that matrix album art feature... Dont you?

What is the big advatnage with Kizunes software anyway?
And can you install Kizunes Cheetax NEXT to the original, or do you have to replace that?

Old 05-06-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
hey I also wanna download Kizune Cheetah
At the moment it's "not yet ready for prime time". The whole package is still under development, and even the main desktop component Cheetah is only in early beta.

The rest of the really necessary pieces (browser - Bamboo, and music player - Penguin) are not available. So it's really not much of a "package" just yet, although it promises to be stunning when it's finished.

For now, if you really want to be able to use your J3 completely you should stick with the fully functional and "production" Kizune 1st-generation UCI system.

Kizune's existing "production" UCI package:

(a) Lynx, for main menu desktop. Download from here.

(b) Leaf, for browser. Download from here.

(c) Sense, for music. Download from here.

(d) Vision, for pictures. Download from here.

Quote:
but that album cover matrix is nice though I think. WHat I dont like in the original firmware is that I cant automatically browse through folders. I always have to go back couple of times with the arrow. Besides that its not that bad.... And, again, I like that matrix album art feature... Dont you?
Browsing music on the J3 alphabetically by album title is for me essentially a worthless method. If anything, I would browse music by artist, and then pick an album.

More likely, I would browse by artist, and then [All Tracks] (which displays all music by that artist from any album, located on both internal or external storage) and then I'd search for and pick the track I wanted to listen to.

Even so, seeing the "nearest 9 alphabetical album titles to the album corresponding to the music track currently playing" is of no useful value to me. It's entertaining to see 9 other album covers along with the one that's currently playing a track, but as far being of any real value to me... sorry, it's not.

But mostly, I use my J3 to play music in my car (through my car's audio system) while I'm driving. I'm not browsing, I'm just listening. I have all of my 1100 FLAC files (which by definition are my "favorite favorites", else I'd have them in MP3 form) set to have a "genre" of "FLAC" in their tags. These 1100 files are located both on internal and external storage, and cover hundreds of different artists and hundreds of different albums (from my total collection of about 1100 CD's). Then I start the browse by Library -> [Genres] -> [FLAC], and just let the J3 start playing. I have playback control set to "random", so what I really am listening to is like a "radio station" playing a "genre-playlist" of 1100 of my "favorite favorites" (located on both internal and external storage) in random order so that I have no idea what's going to play next. It isn't limited by 250 or 400, it isn't limited by internal or external storage, and it just plays continuous random "favorite favorites" without any intervention on my part.

And powering the J3 off, and then on, and then simply "resuming" play, the J3 simply continues on through this 1100 entry "playlist" never repeating anything (since that's how "random" works on the J3, with the once-shuffled playlist used indefinitely until you re-shuffle).

But that's just me, and how I happen to use my portable music player.

Quote:
What is the big advatnage with Kizunes software anyway?
There are many slick features in the Leaf/Sense combination. But for me, the two BIGGIES are:

(a) instant first-letter JUMP/search, when in Leaf, to an alphabetical location in any large list for the entries starting with that first letter, rather than having to finger-scroll through a list of hundreds or thousands of tracks. This is unbelievably convenient.

(b) cache versions of any list, which can optionally be "persistent", so that once the list is built for the first time it does not have to be built again (although you can force it to be re-built on demand, and/or rebuilt the first time you access that list each time you power on the J3). This speeds up navigation (especially when popping back up to the next higher level) remarkably.

There is one other very important feature for many, but not of any real value to me, and that is "dynamic playlists". This is a very useful feature that is built on top of Cowon's Favorites functionality, which supports a playlist of up to 250 music files that can be located on either internal or external storage.

With the Cowon software you yourself dynamically add or delete music files to this one Favorites list (by pushing buttons while a music file is playing, or by editing the current Favorites list). That's the extent of the Cowon Favorites functionality.

With Leaf/Sense, you can actually SAVE the current Favorites list as a file (with a name of your own choice). And you can build/save any number of such Favorites lists (each up to 250 entries). And then at a later time you can re-load the one 250 entry Cowon Favorites list from any of your saved files.

So while you still are limited to only 250 entries per list, you can have an unlimited number of these 250 entry lists. The fact that the lists can point to music files on both internal and external storage (which is part of Cowon's Favorites functionality) has great advantage over standard M3U playlists which though having a somewhat larger maximum of 400 entries are strictly limited to music on either internal or external storage but not both mixed in the same single M3U playlist.

So if playlists are important to you, the Leaf/Sense "dynamic playlist" idea is great (although these are SOL binary files and cannot really be maintained on your PC, but rather must be manually built and maintained with your own fingers on the J3 itself).

Quote:
And can you install Kizunes Cheetax NEXT to the original, or do you have to replace that?
Again, other than playing with it, if you really want to use your J3 for real you should go with the current "production" UCI family at this moment, not Cheetah.

But both Cheetah and Lynx are replacements for any of the three Cowon main menu desktop options. Presumably whichever of the three you like the least or would use the least, that's the one you would re-purpose to be Lynx/Cheetah. The other two Cowon main menu desktops remain available "side-by-side" with Lynx. So you can choose any of the three at any time (but honestly, once you've installed Lynx why would you use the Cowon main menu offerings??).

However Leaf and Sense replace the Cowon browser and music player. So even if you use the remaining two Cowon main menu desktops if you then go into the browser or music player you're invoking Leaf or Sense.

The whole UCI replacement package is only "temporary", installed by placing some files and folders in the \System\Flash UI folder of the J3. To uninstall them, just delete the same files and folders you placed there in the first place and you're now back to the original Cowon software.

As to your question, Matrix Browser is honestly of zero value to me. In fact, I don't use landscape mode. I use the Kizune "production" UCI, and am strictly portrait mode.

Last edited by DSperber; 05-06-2012 at 06:52 AM.