android
Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just received my Sony NWZ-A867 EU model today, and it sounds fantastic. And, considering I've had a similar experience before, it's DEFINATELY loud enough. I love the little bugger so far,...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I just received my Sony NWZ-A867 EU model today, and it sounds fantastic. And, considering I've had a similar experience before, it's DEFINATELY loud enough. I love the little bugger so far,...

Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Later, maybe, after more COFFEE!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 AM

Hello everyone
Well, it took a week but UPS emailed my that my Zip has arrived (a 4GB with a 16GB card).
What would you do if you were me once I'm home tonight and once the Zip is fully charged : keep or install the latest firmware available, or Rockbox it right away?
Thanx for your responses

Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try BOTH!!! See which option is right for you. Also, most importantly, ENJOY!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 AM

It's possible to try Rockbox and go back to the original firmware after?? Which one do you prefer and why?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Administrator

If you're asking that you've provided my answer. Since you haven't acquainted yourself with the manual it's your best bet will be to enjoy the player as it is while you read the manual at least through Browsing and Playing. You'll find the AMSv2 port status page helpful in deciding if you want to use Rockbox.

Rockbox isn't like the sandisk firmware where you can just drop some tunes in and figure things out as you go. You can do that but you'll find that while Rockbox is actually relatively simple to use but it is not what most consider intuitive. Getting started by doing some reading will make your experience much more fulfilling.

Last edited by skip252; 05-04-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 AM

Arghhh... I have installed the latest firmware 01.01.20 and the automatic installation of Rockbox doesn't recongnise it...
Do I have to install it manually then? What are the risks?
I have tested my new CZ this morning while walking to my job, and it seems to me there are more bass and the sound is more crisp than on my Samsung YP-R0
And its size, so small, and cute
the weird thing is that I connected it last night to charge it, and this morning, when I plugged on my laptop, the battery icon was moving again as if it was still charging. When I arrive at work, I plugged it again, till the icon was all green. I unplugged it to change the USB settings, plugged it back, and there is goes again, as if it was still charging again...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKeiser View Post
Arghhh... I have installed the latest firmware 01.01.20 and the automatic installation of Rockbox doesn't recongnise it...
No, and in fact that won't work either. When it asks for a firmware, just give it an earlier version.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator

The automated installer hasn't been updated to handle the .20 firmware yet. No big deal as far as Rockbox is concerned. Rockbox functions the same regardless of which firmware is used for patching. Just provide the automated installer with a copy of the previous firmware when prompted.

Or you could use the simple way to install listed here. The risk remains the same with manual or automated installation.

The erratic charging indicator in the OF has been noted before. I can't say much about that as I haven't used the sandisk firmware much.

Last edited by skip252; 05-04-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
No, and in fact that won't work either. When it asks for a firmware, just give it an earlier version.
what do you mean it won't work either?

I have installed this morning the firmware 01.01.20, everything went fine, CS is working well.
When I try to automatically install Rockbox, it says that it doesn't handle this firmware.
So are you suggesting I leave the .20 on my CZ, download the .18 for the installation of RB?
I'm a bit at loss here

Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Administrator

I've just undeleted a post I got rid of because saratoga had answered. There's more detail there.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKeiser View Post
So are you suggesting I leave the .20 on my CZ, download the .18 for the installation of RB?
Yes, thats exactly what I was saying.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 AM

Well, I did what you suggested (except I tried the automatic install), and IT WORKED (I know you knew it would )
now, I tested my CZ with the original firmware, and last night with Rockbox, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the thing rockboxed!!! I haven't explored all the options, but the little I have seen, it's amazing!! It boots in a sec, the volume is outstanding, and... Let me play a bit more with it and I'll come back to let you know.
But I wanted to come back now to thank you all for your advices, it's a great device with a great firmware!!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 AM

Well it didn't go so well actually. I used it last night, turned it off, and a couple of hours later, when I wanted to turn it back on, I had an error, audio_buffer_error and then nothing. I could boot on the original firmware (.18) but nothing else. Then this morning, the device was dead, no more battery. I decided to uninstall rockbox first, then I'll charge it and reinstall it and see what happens next. Disapointed I am.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 AM

Hello all
Long time I haven't posted here, really sorry. So my CZ didn't work well with the installation I had done. I uninstalled everything, took off my micro card, loaded the .18 firmware over again, and reinstalled Rockbox calmly. Then I put back the card inside.
No more error, and the device is running PERFECTLY! The sound is amazingly loud, I had to turn it down right away the first time I love all the options Rockbox is offering, this makes the CZ a really great player!
Thanx to all for your advices, you really nailed what I wanted and what I needed
I almost want to buy a second one
Battery life is not really great though, but I never let it die on me, and my songs are all 160kps encoded, that might be why.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:53 PM

if you want better volume level get a fii0 e6 i bought one the other day and with my clip zip rockboxd i love it. i use these headphones with them http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 very happy with this budget setup

Old 06-05-2012, 01:24 AM

Go back to Samsung and get them to replace the batteries, sometimes old is GOLD!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Samsung doesn't do battery replacement,...