android
Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Thumbs up What is your Compression rate ?

What would the compression rate of a music file be if the music file was compressed from 9mb mp3 265 kbits to 198 mb wav file ?

This is 1 album compressed E40Revenue Retrievin': Night Shift

18 items, totalling 3.3 GB

Last edited by MEGAKILL; 05-05-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 AM

WAV isn't compressed, it's linear PCM.

Regular 44.1 kHz 16 bit stereo audio has a constant bitrate of ~1411kbps as WAV, which equals to one minute of music being about 10MB of data.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM

Talking Im in Linux

I am using Linux and I have a program that is a called Sound Converter It converts music files and I use the insane method and when I do that the files no matter what they are at 2 mb or more come out above 150mb when converted.
How good is the conversion well when I was using my Atrios M5 I got compliments on my music from 60 feet away, last night I cranked up the the volume and 80 feet away people were complimenting the tunes they heard. So I am trying to figure what would they conversion in Kbits be.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGAKILL View Post
I am using Linux and I have a program that is a called Sound Converter It converts music files and I use the insane method and when I do that the files no matter what they are at 2 mb or more come out above 150mb when converted.
How good is the conversion well when I was using my Atrios M5 I got compliments on my music from 60 feet away, last night I cranked up the the volume and 80 feet away people were complimenting the tunes they heard. So I am trying to figure what would they conversion in Kbits be.
Everything you just said is nonsense. Was that the point?

On the chance that you aren't wearing a troll hat: Upconverting a lossy (e.g. MP3 or AAC) format to a lossless one (e.g. FLAC or WAV) does nothing to improve the sound. What was lost during the song's initial compression cannot magically be reinserted during the conversion...no matter how large it (needlessly) makes the resulting file. Essentially, you wind up with a much, much bigger version of the exact same thing.

As for blasting your IEMs across a room to great applause...and thinking the format you blast makes any difference...I don't even...

Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
What would the compression rate of a music file be if the music file was compressed from 9mb mp3 265 kbits to 198 mb wav file ?
Why are you converting from MP3 to WAV?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Re-rip from the CD to FLAC or WAV and then see how the compliments come in

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Why are you converting from MP3 to WAV?
It sounds better and the compression is larger. Well actually it was an experiment but I just realized the Cowon s9 only recognizes the mp3 format

Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can't convert mp3 to WAV. Lossy to lossless just creates a huge file size with no increase in quality. This is, I'm sorry to tell you, a wasted experiment. There is NO improvement in SQ - that's you experiencing the "placebo effect".

Now, rip a CD to WAV, the convert it to LAME. That's a fine thing to do. Then play around with bitrates & such.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
It sounds better and the compression is larger. Well actually it was an experiment but I just realized the Cowon s9 only recognizes the mp3 format
You cannot possibly make a copy that is more accurate than the source it came from. Use a program such as Adobe Audition to do a spectral analysis and compare. You will not have increased frequency response. At best, you are increasing the recording level and either losing dynamic headroom, or opening yourself to amp clipping or possibly damaging your headphones/speakers.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It sounds better and the compression is larger.
It cannot sound better. MP3 discards information. Therefore, converting to WAV merely results in larger files. One cannot regain the lost information after one encodes to MP3. Please see the following post to see why properly encoded MP3s sound the same or sounds very similar to uncompressed WAVs.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...19&postcount=1.