android
Old 11-21-2009, 07:43 AM

Default torchwood/doctor who.

any fans of either or both shows here?

i've been a fan of the doctors since the sixties, the 2nd doctor[patrick troughton] being my favourite.

the reason i started this was to ask, if you are a fan of torchwood, have you seen the 'children of the earth' shows yet?

i think they are the best yet. this story is quite scary and has one of the best representations of an alien i've ever seen, very different than the usual. well worth checking out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 AM

I'm a fan of Doctor Who (the Sixth Doctor is my favorite, and the Ninth and Tenth Doctors were great too). It was unfortunate that the Sixth Doctor didn't become more popular, he had an abrasive and off-beat nature that made him very interesting to me. I haven't seen Torchwood yet, although I've been told that it is very good show.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 AM

yeah it is quite a good show. its a bit like doctor who for adults maybe. as captain jack harkness appeared in the doctor's show, the doctor is meantioned a few times in torchwood, so there is that kinda crossover.

actually i didn't mind the doctor before the present one. he too was quite abrasive and rude which sometimes pissed me off, but overall pretty good.

there is a new doctor now of course, a young guy i think, and a new assistant too. i wouldn't mind if the next doctor reincarnated into a black guy, or even a female, however i don't suppose that would actually be possible would it? i mean the science of it?

one show i loved was 'life on mars'. this is the pommie[english] version, i really enjoyed that. actually the spin-off from that is 'ashes to ashes', that really good too. its almost 9.30pm here and that means that 'ashes to ashes' is about to start, its the final of series 2.

this isn't a bad british sci-fi show either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primeval

Last edited by hokeypokey; 11-23-2009 at 05:29 AM.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 PM

I like Dr. Who, not a fan of Torchwood though. I've see all the Dr. Who's. I used to watch the originals on PBS in the 80's. I watched the new ones in SyFy too. I was originally introduced to Dr. Who in the 60's when I was a kid. Before they ever ran it as a serial here in the USA. There was a movie on TV with Peter Cushing (remember him from Star Wars?) playing the Dr. It was "Dr. Who and The Daleks". Also before PBS ran it in the 80's there was an independent TV station (WOR-NY) which became UPN and is now CW ran the series with the Sarah Jane companion and Tom Baker (Dr. #4) in the series in the 70's.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomby Woof View Post
I like Dr. Who, not a fan of Torchwood though. I've see all the Dr. Who's. I used to watch the originals on PBS in the 80's. I watched the new ones in SyFy too. I was originally introduced to Dr. Who in the 60's when I was a kid. Before they ever ran it as a serial here in the USA. There was a movie on TV with Peter Cushing (remember him from Star Wars?) playing the Dr. It was "Dr. Who and The Daleks". Also before PBS ran it in the 80's there was an independent TV station (WOR-NY) which became UPN and is now CW ran the series with the Sarah Jane companion and Tom Baker (Dr. #4) in the series in the 70's.
My first experience with Doctor Who was the movie "Dr. Who and the Daleks," which I found out later was different from the TV series (in the movie he was Dr. Who [not The Doctor] and he was a human [not a Time Lord] who invented a time machine). It wasn't until I read the novelizations that I got to see the real Doctor Who. The first one I read was "Doctor Who and the Android Invasion."

When I finally got to see the TV series, it was on my local PBS station. At first, the only episodes that were available were the early Fourth Doctor episodes (ending with the departure of Leela). It wasn't until the late 1980s that I was able to see episodes featuring the Doctor's other regenerations.

Since then, I've seen all of the Doctor's regenerations except for the most recent one. One of the things I like about the more recent stories are the references to the events of the past (The Tenth Doctor's reunion with Sarah Jane Smith was a highlight for me).
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Last edited by CDMP3PlayerFan; 12-06-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Minor correction.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 PM

Started watching in 1977 my first memory was watching The Invasion Of Time. Always wanted to see the old B&W episodes so when BBC Enterprises started releasing the videos regularly from 1990 I was in my element. I love Doctor Who from the start to the present day it is the most amazing show ever.

I also enjoy Torchwood but I felt Miracle Day was just too long. Children of Earth was awesome and very dark and scary especially when they had to sacrifice Jack's grandson to defeat the 4-5-6. RTD got the whole thing absolutely spot on.

There's no reason for Doctor Who to ever end but maybe take a break every now and again to refresh everyone who makes it, just not fifteen years like we had between 1989 and 2005. I haven't mentioned the TV Movie because although Paul McGann was brilliant as the Doctor, the actual story was bloody awful.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:57 PM

I really enjoyed the new Doctor Who series (2005 until present) and the older ones are on the to watch list. I wasn't around when they first aired so I have a rather daunting task ahead of me. I believe it's among the longest running TV shows of all time.

I did not like torchwood in general, it's hard to put my finger on the exact reason. Maybe it was the homosexuality, maybe the plot just got stale. I did enjoy the Children of the Earth series but those are about the only episodes I'd recommend.

@paulstrad1999: Could you remove the spoilers from your post for those who have not yet seen it.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Old thread btw I love Doctor Who. I've watched almost every episode lol.

And I enjoyed the new series like sideways, I didn't watch any of the really old seasons though.

Now that I think of it I miss Doctor Who. Does anyone know if they're making a season 7?

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 PM

Watched "some" Doctor Who, with David Tennant. Space Canada mostly loops the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Sontaran and the Odd Ood and the Vashta Nerada and such.