android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > Site News & Announcements

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM
dougtape dougtape is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Default Me obsolete, Industry obsolete, or site not as important as others?

I know ABI is now part of a larger media group that focuses on similar items, but is it just me still being interested in a stand alone media player, and industry news that's out of date since I don't want a smart phone, or 7" tablet, or is it the media group who thinks our niche of the tech market is not important/obsolete, or have our manufacturers left us in favor of bigger fish to fry?

I regularly check this site, since there is no where else that I have found to find MP3 player information and advice without having to wade through smart phone post after smart phone post. I come here because it was the best I have found, but I feel like I have been left behind by those that run this site. There are some active members in the forums that give great info, but having to search through the different forums to find info on products is a pain, that's what the front page is for. I am dissappointed in the lack of front page updates, info about what is coming out, best of the current products, current product comparisons to help me choose which to buy, etc. you know, the stuff I started coming here a couple times a week to find out.....

maybe it's just me who hasn't gotten the memo that the non touch screen mp3 player is dead (sure do see a lot of clips being bought though), or hell products like the Galaxy Player (yes I am coveting one to complement my cheaper everyday player that goes everywhere with me) exist without having to buy a stinking phone and pay a cell company for features i want on a separate device from a phone. I dunno, I just miss the excitement this site used to bring when I would read about a new Sansa, cowon (please make a new i7), Archos, Sony, etc. that is coming out in time to replace whichever player i have used and abused until it quit working.

I'm not trying to bash those who run the site, but if we aren't as important as tablets, phones, etc please just tell us, and I can go find a new site to geek out on, or I can give up hoard a few clips and tell verizon to stick it when they won't sell me a dumb phone and go back to smoke signals. Or if the manufacturers are leaving us, maybe we need to try and make some waves and say hey, these are cheap for you to make and we still want them, so please don't leave us.

Sorry I'll quit rambling now. I just want to know what my options for a new player are when i finally kill my clip+, and it is much harder now to find new ones than it was a few years ago.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtape View Post
I just want to know what my options for a new player are when i finally kill my clip+, and it is much harder now to find new ones than it was a few years ago.
Unless you want to shop in Canadian B&M stores...the Clip Zip.

Steve
__________________
Everybody should own at least one Sansa Clip family player. Except maybe the Sport.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtape View Post
I know ABI is now part of a larger media group that focuses on similar items, but is it just me still being interested in a stand alone media player, and industry news that's out of date since I don't want a smart phone, or 7" tablet, or is it the media group who thinks our niche of the tech market is not important/obsolete, or have our manufacturers left us in favor of bigger fish to fry?
Don’t blame you or abi, it’s the manufacturers that have focused on convergence devices. Many of us here also prefer separate devices rather than one mediocre device that does it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtape View Post
I regularly check this site, since there is no where else that I have found to find MP3 player information and advice without having to wade through smart phone post after smart phone post. I come here because it was the best I have found, but I feel like I have been left behind by those that run this site. There are some active members in the forums that give great info, but having to search through the different forums to find info on products is a pain, that's what the front page is for. I am dissappointed in the lack of front page updates, info about what is coming out, best of the current products, current product comparisons to help me choose which to buy, etc. you know, the stuff I started coming here a couple times a week to find out.....
There really isn’t that much new in the DAP seen, it’s either a new PMP or phone and phones are also taking away from the PMP as there’s less and less :/

On another note, spending time wading thru the different forums can be rewarding as there is a lot of great information that members share with each other and there is no way it can all ever make the FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtape View Post
maybe it's just me who hasn't gotten the memo that the non touch screen mp3 player is dead (sure do see a lot of clips being bought though), or hell products like the Galaxy Player (yes I am coveting one to complement my cheaper everyday player that goes everywhere with me) exist without having to buy a stinking phone and pay a cell company for features i want on a separate device from a phone. I dunno, I just miss the excitement this site used to bring when I would read about a new Sansa, cowon (please make a new i7), Archos, Sony, etc. …
All the new cowon’s, Sony’s and Sansa’s make the FP, there just seems to be less new introductions …

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtape View Post
… Or if the manufacturers are leaving us, maybe we need to try and make some waves and say hey, these are cheap for you to make and we still want them, so please don't leave us.
The more members making these “waves” you infer would help the manufacturers take notice, hopefully they see your post here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtape View Post
… I just want to know what my options for a new player are when i finally kill my clip+, and it is much harder now to find new ones than it was a few years ago.
Here are some member recommended players http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...14&postcount=2
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM
sideways sideways is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 590
Default

Convergence devices sell better = More interest from manufactures and tech writers. If you have deep pockets you could remedy that, but that would hardly be an optimal solution.

Hey it's not all bad though... Looking through the apps on my phone I no longer need to carry around a dedicated camera, calculator(except for exams), GPS, notepad, collection of classic books, list of contacts, alarm clock and lots of other dedicated devices that would technically do a superior job. If you want bare bones look at the sansa clip series, you'll be hard pressed to beat it for the price.

I can definitely relate to wanting to avoid carrier fees. There are some devices like the samsung galaxy player 4.0 that circumvent them by being wifi only. And the cost is not that much higher than for a dedicated player.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
... If you want bare bones look at the sansa clip series, you'll be hard pressed to beat it for the price. ...
Did you every replace your train run away Clip or are you now full on convergence? /me wonders if it's still on/next to the tracks
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM
sideways sideways is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 590
Default

I suspect it is still on the tracks... Or maybe it found a worthy new home if maintenance has been by. I have not replaced it yet with another dedicated player. The budget is tight and I can do what I need with my smartphone, so for now I am using that. I will eventually get around to getting a replacement beater/ workout player.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM
bert000l's Avatar
bert000l bert000l is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Freiburg, Germany
Posts: 57
Default

I do use my Sansa Clip from time to time. My Galaxy S2 with Poweramp and DSP has replaced it as the everyday player, though. Great audio quality, much better than with the stock player.
__________________
My German review of the Creative ZEN
http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showthread.php?t=443141

Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM
diechipmunk's Avatar
diechipmunk diechipmunk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 115
Default

In my family we have 3 Clip+, a Droid Incredible phone, a gen 4 ipod nano, a Sony S-544 and Sansa Fuze. They are all great players, and all on the smaller side. I prefer the Clips to everything, great sound ultimate portability. The kids want all the apps and video, so they'll be upgrading in the not too distant future.

I find I only use my phone when sitting at my desk, I've tried it elsewhere, but I find anything bigger than the clip a nuisance. When I get around to upgrading my phone, I figure I'll keep it as a dedicated WiFi enabled PMP, with access to cloud and apps like last.fm and YouTube; but for portable sound, my Clip+ still rules.

Everyone hates the gen 4 ipod nano, it never gets used.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM
dougtape dougtape is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Default

this is my third attempt at a response, I just don't know what to say besides thank you to the people who are still active here and love to give good info.

Yes I have a clip+, and like it. I don't love it as i have some of my cowons (I still wish that my i7 had some form of babies to replace it with). I just wish there was some better options out on the market for a "beater" mp3 player. I like to use them when I am doing activities that may get them destroyed. better a $40 device than a $200 device with my life stored on it... I know i will replace my clip, probably with a zip or maybe a i9 (love my cowons and the bigger screen, but miss the actual buttons and clips are 1/2-1/3 the price) but I think my bigger fear is not this time, but what about in 1-3 years when i have killed the one i buy this time? will there be anything? kinda like a dumb phone, you practically have to jump through hoops to find them anymore.. my local phone store flat out told me last year, go to our web site, we don't have any in store anymore.

Ok, i'll stop before i get fired up and just repeat myself. But again, if you are sitll reading at this point, thank you. I will continue to peruse the forums to hopefully make my next device choice easier, and hopefully find some options that i wouldn't hear about otherwise.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.