android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > Site News & Announcements

Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM

Default Me obsolete, Industry obsolete, or site not as important as others?

I know ABI is now part of a larger media group that focuses on similar items, but is it just me still being interested in a stand alone media player, and industry news that's out of date since I don't want a smart phone, or 7" tablet, or is it the media group who thinks our niche of the tech market is not important/obsolete, or have our manufacturers left us in favor of bigger fish to fry?

I regularly check this site, since there is no where else that I have found to find MP3 player information and advice without having to wade through smart phone post after smart phone post. I come here because it was the best I have found, but I feel like I have been left behind by those that run this site. There are some active members in the forums that give great info, but having to search through the different forums to find info on products is a pain, that's what the front page is for. I am dissappointed in the lack of front page updates, info about what is coming out, best of the current products, current product comparisons to help me choose which to buy, etc. you know, the stuff I started coming here a couple times a week to find out.....

maybe it's just me who hasn't gotten the memo that the non touch screen mp3 player is dead (sure do see a lot of clips being bought though), or hell products like the Galaxy Player (yes I am coveting one to complement my cheaper everyday player that goes everywhere with me) exist without having to buy a stinking phone and pay a cell company for features i want on a separate device from a phone. I dunno, I just miss the excitement this site used to bring when I would read about a new Sansa, cowon (please make a new i7), Archos, Sony, etc. that is coming out in time to replace whichever player i have used and abused until it quit working.

I'm not trying to bash those who run the site, but if we aren't as important as tablets, phones, etc please just tell us, and I can go find a new site to geek out on, or I can give up hoard a few clips and tell verizon to stick it when they won't sell me a dumb phone and go back to smoke signals. Or if the manufacturers are leaving us, maybe we need to try and make some waves and say hey, these are cheap for you to make and we still want them, so please don't leave us.

Sorry I'll quit rambling now. I just want to know what my options for a new player are when i finally kill my clip+, and it is much harder now to find new ones than it was a few years ago.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtape View Post
I just want to know what my options for a new player are when i finally kill my clip+, and it is much harder now to find new ones than it was a few years ago.
Unless you want to shop in Canadian B&M stores...the Clip Zip.

Steve

Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I know ABI is now part of a larger media group that focuses on similar items, but is it just me still being interested in a stand alone media player, and industry news that's out of date since I don't want a smart phone, or 7" tablet, or is it the media group who thinks our niche of the tech market is not important/obsolete, or have our manufacturers left us in favor of bigger fish to fry?
Don’t blame you or abi, it’s the manufacturers that have focused on convergence devices. Many of us here also prefer separate devices rather than one mediocre device that does it all.

Quote:
I regularly check this site, since there is no where else that I have found to find MP3 player information and advice without having to wade through smart phone post after smart phone post. I come here because it was the best I have found, but I feel like I have been left behind by those that run this site. There are some active members in the forums that give great info, but having to search through the different forums to find info on products is a pain, that's what the front page is for. I am dissappointed in the lack of front page updates, info about what is coming out, best of the current products, current product comparisons to help me choose which to buy, etc. you know, the stuff I started coming here a couple times a week to find out.....
There really isn’t that much new in the DAP seen, it’s either a new PMP or phone and phones are also taking away from the PMP as there’s less and less :/

On another note, spending time wading thru the different forums can be rewarding as there is a lot of great information that members share with each other and there is no way it can all ever make the FP.

Quote:
maybe it's just me who hasn't gotten the memo that the non touch screen mp3 player is dead (sure do see a lot of clips being bought though), or hell products like the Galaxy Player (yes I am coveting one to complement my cheaper everyday player that goes everywhere with me) exist without having to buy a stinking phone and pay a cell company for features i want on a separate device from a phone. I dunno, I just miss the excitement this site used to bring when I would read about a new Sansa, cowon (please make a new i7), Archos, Sony, etc. …
All the new cowon’s, Sony’s and Sansa’s make the FP, there just seems to be less new introductions …

Quote:
… Or if the manufacturers are leaving us, maybe we need to try and make some waves and say hey, these are cheap for you to make and we still want them, so please don't leave us.
The more members making these “waves” you infer would help the manufacturers take notice, hopefully they see your post here

Quote:
… I just want to know what my options for a new player are when i finally kill my clip+, and it is much harder now to find new ones than it was a few years ago.
Here are some member recommended players http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...14&postcount=2

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM

Convergence devices sell better = More interest from manufactures and tech writers. If you have deep pockets you could remedy that, but that would hardly be an optimal solution.

Hey it's not all bad though... Looking through the apps on my phone I no longer need to carry around a dedicated camera, calculator(except for exams), GPS, notepad, collection of classic books, list of contacts, alarm clock and lots of other dedicated devices that would technically do a superior job. If you want bare bones look at the sansa clip series, you'll be hard pressed to beat it for the price.

I can definitely relate to wanting to avoid carrier fees. There are some devices like the samsung galaxy player 4.0 that circumvent them by being wifi only. And the cost is not that much higher than for a dedicated player.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
... If you want bare bones look at the sansa clip series, you'll be hard pressed to beat it for the price. ...
Did you every replace your train run away Clip or are you now full on convergence? /me wonders if it's still on/next to the tracks

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM

I suspect it is still on the tracks... Or maybe it found a worthy new home if maintenance has been by. I have not replaced it yet with another dedicated player. The budget is tight and I can do what I need with my smartphone, so for now I am using that. I will eventually get around to getting a replacement beater/ workout player.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM

I do use my Sansa Clip from time to time. My Galaxy S2 with Poweramp and DSP has replaced it as the everyday player, though. Great audio quality, much better than with the stock player.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM

In my family we have 3 Clip+, a Droid Incredible phone, a gen 4 ipod nano, a Sony S-544 and Sansa Fuze. They are all great players, and all on the smaller side. I prefer the Clips to everything, great sound ultimate portability. The kids want all the apps and video, so they'll be upgrading in the not too distant future.

I find I only use my phone when sitting at my desk, I've tried it elsewhere, but I find anything bigger than the clip a nuisance. When I get around to upgrading my phone, I figure I'll keep it as a dedicated WiFi enabled PMP, with access to cloud and apps like last.fm and YouTube; but for portable sound, my Clip+ still rules.

Everyone hates the gen 4 ipod nano, it never gets used.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM

this is my third attempt at a response, I just don't know what to say besides thank you to the people who are still active here and love to give good info.

Yes I have a clip+, and like it. I don't love it as i have some of my cowons (I still wish that my i7 had some form of babies to replace it with). I just wish there was some better options out on the market for a "beater" mp3 player. I like to use them when I am doing activities that may get them destroyed. better a $40 device than a $200 device with my life stored on it... I know i will replace my clip, probably with a zip or maybe a i9 (love my cowons and the bigger screen, but miss the actual buttons and clips are 1/2-1/3 the price) but I think my bigger fear is not this time, but what about in 1-3 years when i have killed the one i buy this time? will there be anything? kinda like a dumb phone, you practically have to jump through hoops to find them anymore.. my local phone store flat out told me last year, go to our web site, we don't have any in store anymore.

Ok, i'll stop before i get fired up and just repeat myself. But again, if you are sitll reading at this point, thank you. I will continue to peruse the forums to hopefully make my next device choice easier, and hopefully find some options that i wouldn't hear about otherwise.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 AM

I felt the same way as you do back when PDA's were being phased out in favor of Smartphones. It just seemed like one day, all the buzz for PDA's came to screeching halt.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Necrothread resurrection - thanks for the meh!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:52 PM

More resurrection....

I dread the day my Zune 120 and ZuneHD 64 no longer turn on. I'm one of those that likes to take EVERYTHING with me, and even at that I have to leave some stuff behind when I take the 64. My phone definitely won't hold it all, and I've yet to find anything in the PMP/MP3 world that suits me. I'd consider a Clip+/Clip Zip if a 64GB SDXC card would work in it and it wouldn't balk at 11,000+ files.

Last edited by jkj1962; 05-24-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: SDHC/SDXC

Old 05-24-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkj1962 View Post
I'd consider a Clip+/Clip Zip if a 64GB SDXC card would work in it and it wouldn't balk at 11,000+ files.
There is no file limit with Rockbox. http://www.rockbox.org/, http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=73088, http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...2&postcount=60.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:17 PM

I have considered a Clip+/ZIP and Rockbox. Just need to do a bit of research on it. I wish Sony made something with enough storage. I owned a number of "Walkman/Discman" products, and found them quite good. Or, I could slip into an alternate dimension where the Zune HD3 with 128GB was just released.

I can dream.....

Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkj1962 View Post
I have considered a Clip+/ZIP and Rockbox. Just need to do a bit of research on it. I wish Sony made something with enough storage. I owned a number of "Walkman/Discman" products, and found them quite good. Or, I could slip into an alternate dimension where the Zune HD3 with 128GB was just released.

I can dream.....
Absolutely I am a big fan of sony products but, a 16gb player is pretty useless to me.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I'm with you Doug.
I have yet to see a cell phone or tablet or whatever that does everything, do music as well as most of the dedicated audio players.

I am admittedly a Cowon fanboy, so you can take my recommendation with a grain of salt when I suggest you check out the brand new Cowon M2.
It keeps all the sound goodies that Cowon is know for including BBE, Jet Effect and the rest, and it stays with the basics of what it does best, and that's just playing great music for almost 100 hours between charges.

However, you have seen I'm sure from perusing this forum that there are still lots of people who appreciate dedicated music devices, and there are lots of music devices that those people continue to appreciate.

As long as it's not an Ipod, we've got your back.

Ogg and Flac or I don't listen, and the Cowon X5L and S9 do it best for me.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Administrator

I have both a couple of phone and a tablet that sound every bit as good as any Cowon I've heard. They don't have the BBE effects but the base sound quality is at least as good. If I use extremely sensitive IEMs they're actually better.

To take it even further they sound as good as any DAP I've heard and I've heard a lot of them.. That may not have been the case when this thread you've necroed was first started but that's certainly the case now. Some find it hard to believe but 2 channel digital sound reproduction has gone about as far as it can. That's been true for quite a while now.

People that prefer using DAPs for their music are certainly welcome to do so. They should realize that's a choice based on whatever features their player of choice brings but the SQ of a DAP is no longer is superior to a decent smartphone. If they prefer the size, battery life, tactile buttons or some other feature, great. If they're saying they prefer a dedicated DAP because it has better sound, that's also fine by me.

They don't, but if it makes someone feel better believing that I won't argue with them. I will point out for the next reader that's a belief that exists in the posters head, not what comes out the headphone jack.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If they prefer the size, battery life, tactile buttons or some other feature(s), great. If they're saying they prefer a dedicated DAP because it has better sound, that's also fine by me.
That right there.

I have played music on my phone (Galaxy S5), but it nor any of the other devices I've used to play music offer those things you mentioned as well as a dedicated PMP.
Two nights ago while I was waiting for my PMP to arrive, I sat in bed surfing my Asus TF700T tablet while listening to music on it at the same time (oggs being run with Android JetAudio).
I quickly became so frustrated with the pauses and ads (pauses probably caused by the ads) that I just gave up and unplugged my headphones.

Maybe time will move on and dedicated PMP's will become truly obsolete, but at this point, anything else I've used to listen to music has sucked royally for one reason or another, and no, not necessarily due to SQ.

When your personal take on this situation becomes reality for the majority of people, then that's the time to just shut this forum down.

Ogg and Flac or I don't listen, and the Cowon X5L and S9 do it best for me.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Purchasing the full version of jetAudio doesn't remove the ads? If not I'd look into another music app. If it does having pauses is something you can deal with for $4. In other words it's your preference not the failure of the device to produce a pleasurable listening experience.

To be fair in the case of an older tablet like the Asus TF700T that's running a Nvidia Tegra chipset it might be that the audio output isn't as good as a more recent tablets that use the Qualcomm chipsets that are known to have very good SQ. I don't have anything that old or with that chipset so I can't say.

However I have heard the Galaxy S5 and both my subjective and listening and electronic testing done at gsmarena say the SQ is very good. I'm guessing there's a setting in jetAudio or your dislike for the phone as an audio source if you're hearing something different. That's what I meant by saying I think it's fair to let the next person that reads this that an opinion is likely to be based on what's in the posters head not what's coming out of the headset jack.

BTW this isn't my personal take. It's what's happened. Most people have recognized that the device they carry with them everyday has a very capable music player built in. And no, it's not people with cloth ears listening to poorly encoded files through crappy headphones and convincing themselves their phones and tablets sound decent. I actually see more people concerned with file and headphone quality now more than ever.

Those people are savvy enough to check the audio output of their devices before they buy them or get into long term contracts. Any maker of a flagship phone that doesn't take that into consideration throws away any chance they have of meeting their sales targets. Fortunately makers needing to pay attention to audio quality in their top of the line devices has had a positive trickle down effect on their less expensive devices. It's not unusual to find decent processors with very good amps and DSPs in less expensive devices that just a couple of years ago could only be found in TOTL products.