android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 PM

Default Ribbon wheel re-insertion problem (+ replacement recommendations)

So the wheel/buttons won't work after re-assembly...these things are designed awfully if you have to open it up to change the battery or cleaning.

Anyways, can anyone give me any tips? I have gotten the ribbon back in and the player is working but the wheel won't. I think the problem is that the ribbon isn't going in far enough. Does anyone have an idea of the amount it's supposed to go in and is there any way to fix this or some work around if the wheel won't work? Player is fairly useless except for as a USB if the wheel doesn't work.

Also, can someone recommend me a replacement? I don't wanna get a Sansa Fuze again obviously due to fragility, poor batter life, lack of button responsiveness, etc. Preferrably a player with a wheel and at least 8 gigs plus an SD card along with the small size. I actually have the Sansa View and quite like it but it's not very small and obviously old. Also, any shop or eBay store which would be a good place to buy from?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You do in fact have to get the ribbon in quite well for it to work. Basically, unlatch the ribbon connector, close the case most of the way, and then slide the ribbon in using tweasers. Then use the tweasers to close the ribbon latch. Finally, before you close up the player boot it and turn the wheel to make sure its working.

It took me several tries but it can be done.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 AM

So I've gotten the ribbon in again and tried again. Now I can get the up (pause), down, and right (fwd) buttons to work but the wheel won't scroll and the rewind/left button doesn't work. The wheel also has no light (the light was almost completely gone before so not a big deal.

I'm guessing this might have to do with the ribbon being damaged?

So I'm thinking a new mp3 player might be the best option if I can't get this to work. I could put in a huge sd slot in my phone and that would do it but would prefer something closer to a sansa fuze (but maybe a bit less fragile and available on eBay).

Old 05-02-2012, 04:08 PM

There's nothing close to a Fuze in the same price range and with the requirements you described. But if you can live without a wheel and a large screen, go for a Clip+ or ClipZip. Sound quality similar to the Fuze's (some say it's better, although they use the same or similar processors), microSD card slot, RockBoxable and very though!

If you want to stick with your Fuze, give it some more tries to get the ribbon inserted to full extend.

There are some refurbished Fuzes left in Amazon and ebay, for around 40 usd. If mine died, I would definitely buy another one. I love it...
| SanDisk Sansa Fuze v2 8Gb black Rockboxed | SanDisk Clip Zip 4Gb orange | uSD Kingston 8Gb | uSD Transcend 16Gb | Radiopaq Jazz / Pioneer CL21 / JBL ROXY / Sansa stock earbuds / Creative EP-480 (yeah, I love stock earbuds...) |