android
Old 04-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Help SDHC-Card messes up folders

Hallo!
This is my first post as a new member from Germany, who has been reading this great forum for years and learnt a lot about players and more. Thank you!

I'm a excited user of my J3 (32) to be my third Cowon Player (D2 and S9 before). I had no problems yet, but now for some reason, something messes up my system and music folders always and only when I insert my SDHC-Card (32, too). Alphabetical order is lost, some folders are missing, some appear twice.
Does anybody know a solution for this problem?

Thank you very much for your answers!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 PM

Have you checked your file tags? Try mp3tag it’s free and you’ll be able to correct the issues.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Thank you, WalkGood,

I'm using mp3tag but cannot find a problem. What could be wrong with the tags?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:03 PM

I was guessing based on what you said, if there's nothing wrong with the tags and you've used mp3tag before. Have you tried to format the card with the SD associations formatter and reloaded tunes? Is it possible that one or more files has an error, have you tried CHKDSK? Could the fw have an error, have to reloaded the fw or are you running the latest version?

Like I said, I'm guessing since I don't have your player in my hands. These are just a few things that I go thru if I've having issues, but the first thing I always check is tags and errors.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmo View Post
now for some reason, something messes up my system and music folders always and only when I insert my SDHC-Card (32, too). Alphabetical order is lost, some folders are missing, some appear twice.
Does anybody know a solution for this problem?
There are two ways to browse your music collection: (a) physically, meaning navigating downward like Windows Explorer from your PC when the J3 is connected, and (b) logically, meaning using the internal tags inside of your music files.

The two methods are very different in terms of how you do it and what you see. I suspect from your description that you're probably using "logical" browsing.

(1) Physical browsing is started from the browser button on the main desktop menu, and then you choose Library -> [Folders].

From there you navigate downward to select either [J3] for internal storage or [J3 Ext] for external storage. Then you continue on down further through whatever folder and sub-folder structure you have on internal or external storage, etc., etc., exactly as if you were browsing your J3 using Windows Explorer.

In this physical browsing mode everything you see is the EXTERNAL name (both folders and files), including extension for files. Everything you see is absolutely guaranteed to be in ascending alphabetical sequence by the external folder/file name.

Cannot be anything but purely alphabetical sequence. Cannot see duplicates of anything, because you're looking at the actual physical folder/file contents of internal or external storage, exactly the same as with Windows Explorer. Since there cannot be physical duplicates of folders or files inside of a folder, it's impossible to have a "duplicate" problem.

(2) Logical browsing starts the same way, by pushing the browser button on the main desktop menu. But from there you navigate downward through the "tags database" which the J3 builds at each power-on boot time, derived by examining every one of your music files on both internal and external storage.

The "tags database" has five main sort keys: artist, album, song title, genre, and year, which of course are the primary internal tag fields in each music file. So you can logically browse through the tags database using any of these five primary sort keys: Library -> [Artists] or [Albums] or [Songs] or [Genres] or [Years].

These tag field values are internal, in the tags in each music file (assuming you've stored the correct values in those tag fields of each music file, as you should) have nothing at all to do with the external folder/file names that you've constructed your physical music collection with, although if your physical collection is organized by \Music\Artist\Album then there will be no confusion when switching between physical browsing and logical browsing. It will look similar as you navigate using either approach.

But if your physical music collection has a totally different physical folder structure than \Artist\Album, then a certain amount of ambiguity and confusion about what you're looking at is inevitable. Certainly keeping your internal artist, album and song title tag field values identical to your external folder/file names will go a long way to minimizing or eliminating any such confusion.

Anyway, when logically browsing you are again NOT looking at external folder/file names (which could be artist folders and album folders and song title names). You are looking at the internal tag field values for those same items. So what appears to be an "album folder" is not a physical album folder, but rather the collection of all music files whose "album" tag field value is identical.

And since there is one tags database item for each music file, if you have the same music file duplicated into multiple folders then it will appear multiple times in the tags database, and thus it will appear to have two "song title" items in that one "album folder". But that's because the duplicate music files both have the identical "album" tag field value and thus will be considered tracks in the one "logical album folder", and will be presented twice because you really do have two music files in that "logical album folder"... although they actually appear to have the identical "song title".

Now logical browsing using the five primary sort keys of the tags database covers both internal and external storage combined, which of course is a huge advantage so that you don't need to know or care where you've placed your music files. But you do need to understand your own music file organization, and duplicating files in multiple different folders really is a no-no else you will see these kinds of duplicate entry anomalies.

Finally, when logically browsing and looking into a "logical album folder" (which again is not a physical folder but rather simply the collection of all music files anywhere which have the identical "album" tag field value), the J3 presents the tracks within that logical album folder IN TRACK NUMBER SEQUENCE, based on the "track number" tag field value.

A logical album folder is NOT displayed alphabetically, neither by external file name nor by internal "song title" tag field value. A logical album folder is displayed IN TRACK NUMBER SEQUENCE, to mimic the track sequence of the original CD itself. The J3 expects that just as with the five primary tag field values which are assumed to have valid values, the "track number" tag field value is also assumed to be a valid number (or n/m, etc.).

Only physical browsing presents everything alphabetically, no matter what you're looking at and no matter what navigation level you're at. Logical folder-level browsing displays in track number sequence, but anything above that will be alphabetical (but using the internal tag field values, not the external folder/file names).

Hopefully, your current situation is now clearer.

You must be browsing logically (to include music files from all folders on both internal and external storage). And you must have duplicate music files in more than one location, with each music file getting a row in the tags database so that it shows up multiple times in the corresponding "logical album folder" when you get to that level.

And the only way you can see something not in strictly alphabetical sequence is in the logical album folder view, which is presented in track number sequence by "track number" tag field value.

If you don't already have a tag utility I suggest installing MP3Tag, which is very powerful and also very simple and intuitive to use.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:15 PM

I'll try everything you suggest except reloading the fw for I did so some hours ago. Thank you again. Hope there will be good news soon.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:22 PM

Another thought would be to check your file browser setting under general settings.

Edit: IIRC there's two modes; Browser mode and music mode. I use browser mode on my two cowon's

Last edited by WalkGood; 04-27-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM

Dear WalkGood, dear DSperber,

thank you very much for your advice and hints. I tried everything you suggested and got close to resignation, but then my last desperate attempt was successful. I'm not quite sure but it seems that one single filename (too long) caused all the problems. I'll try to approve that, but now I'm weak and tired and want to use my J3 instead of maintaining it.

Thank you!

Last edited by Kosmo; 04-30-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM

I know this is a long shot as it is such an old thread but did you find a definite cause Kosmo as I have the same issue. I've limited to flash based Cowon players (happens on C2 and X9) but does not happen on Z2 - Android. Other than that I have no idea what it is - definitely not the tags as MP3TAG has sorted them out for me.

Thanks
(fingers crossed)

Tags
folders, sdhc card