android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

View Poll Results: Which technology do you prefer?
Dynamic Drivers 4 33.33%
Balanced Armatures 0 0%
Both 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2012, 02:49 PM

The build quality of the Neutrik NTP3RC-B is horrendous. Either that or I am consistently getting bad/fake ones. The three metal sections (the TRS part) are always badly aligned. The "gold plating" is also dull and very commonly have dark lines all across. All that compared to one stock Sony plug. Straight, smooth, shiny.

Too bad I can't get any Switchcraft here.

EDIT: What I hate about stock Sony plugs is that they always seem to leave out a tapered neck for those recessed earphone jacks. Come on. No self-respecting Apple snob is using the iPhone 3 anymore.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
The build quality of the Neutrik NTP3RC-B is horrendous. Either that or I am consistently getting bad/fake ones. ...
I've never seen any fake Neutrik plugs but that does not mean they dont exist. I have seen some dealers that use to sell them replace Neutrik with cheaper brands that are crappy build quality. The ones I have purchased all work fine and have held up good. That said, the black ones with gold plating is only for looks, I doubt its real gold and makes no difference at all in connectivity. While the Switchcraft plug has a much better build quality it is a much larger plug so if you need thinner or smaller foot print the Neutrik is probably the way to go. I really wish that Switchcraft made one in a smaller foot print.

Im just as guilty as others so Im including myself in this now that weve discussed 3.5mm plugs, lets try to get this back on topic to BAs and dynamic drivers, the discussions have been really good

BTW, you should ask markertek if they ship to Canada as I've read that folks in the EU have ordered and received from them. Yea I know that will invite customs duty tax :/

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 PM

Maybe Oyaide plugs would be of even higher quality. Hmm, I'll check. Apparently there are some imitation right-angled plugs in China, basically yellow paint over an iron rod.

Back on track, are there any non-custom BAs with immense bass (purely talking about quantity here)?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Can you provide an example or a picture?
I believe he's refering to these? (on the right)

Old 04-29-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
... Back on track, are there any non-custom BAs with immense bass (purely talking about quantity here)?
In the single armature department my guess is there are none. Although I'd love to see some responses from other members that have tried some. While I've tested others, it was so long ago I honestly do not remember specific sound sigs and they were multi-armature driven.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
I believe he's refering to these?
That must be it but wouldn’t that be closer to 135 degree VS 45 degrees

Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 PM

One day we'll be using radians to quantify angles. Nope, too much differential calculus.

Of all the multi-unit BAs I have tried, the TF10, the SE530, the SE535 and the UM3X, none of them had immense bass. Heck, dare I say "none of them had bass".

Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
... Of all the multi-unit BAs I have tried, the TF10, the SE530, the SE535 and the UM3X, none of them had immense bass. Heck, dare I say "none of them had bass".
I agree that none of those have "immense bass" as you say. That said of those I've only owned the s530s and while the bass was good, it was only in the medium quantity for me and I quickly moved on. I have the UE11s (as you know custom) and I would say their bass is plenty and good, but again not immense. I could be wrong but if you are trying to get close to the FutureSonics immense bass in BA's you'll be disappointed, I'm not sure that's even possible unless you go for a dynamic/BA combo.

Edit: I’m not even sure that a custom Heir 6.A would satisfy your bass taste even though it has 4 balanced armatures dedicated to low frequency, 1 for medium frequency and 1 for high frequency

Last edited by WalkGood; 04-30-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Actually I just want a BA with the bass capabilities like a good American V8. All the power and all the nimbleness. Look at the EX1000, that's what it does. Bass is ramming into your head without touching the mids and the highs. LCP really has something to it.

So I figure, hey, if there is a BA bass monster, there can one day be a BA with EX1000-like bass.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Actually I just want a BA with the bass capabilities like a good American V8. All the power and all the nimbleness. Look at the EX1000, that's what it does. Bass is ramming into your head without touching the mids and the highs. ...
While Id love to test drive them, I dont believe they would fit my IEM requirements. Their size and unique housing would stick out of my ear too far. IMO this would cause poor isolation and substantial wind noise issues for my uses. When Im spending $400.00+ for portable IEMs, these are two of several requirements that would make it a deal breaker.

Quote:
So I figure, hey, if there is a BA bass monster, there can one day be a BA with EX1000-like bass.
I guess anythings possible eventually ...

Old 04-29-2012, 09:35 PM

Poor isolation, check. Wind noise, check. But for the sheer awesomeness of the sound that even these two disruptions cannot disrupt, I'll keep 'em for good. When I do need extreme amounts of isolation and some music, I still have those ER-4PT somewhere.