android
Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Koss Introduces WiFi Headphones

Koss has introduced what they claim to be the first headphones to use WiFi to stream music to the headphones.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/25/k...am-music-over/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM

I like the idea and tech but those full size headphones look cheap. I wonder how the iem’s sound …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I like the idea and tech but those full size headphones look cheap. I wonder how the iem’s sound …
To be fair, all Koss headphones look cheap

Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

the dj100 doesnt look cheap. the rest do though. wifi is a cool idea, wouldnt mind testing it out. I wouldnt expect it to revolutionize the industry or anything though.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't like the look of the IEMs. I suspect not comfortable, and won't stay in my ears well.

Oh well I don't have $450 to waste anyway. OOPS mis-read the press release $500 for the IEMs. Extra $50 for the second wi-fi receiver.

Steve

Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM

I haven’t tested them so I could be wrong … but to clarify my previous statement. I don’t think all koss’s look cheap, sure many of them do but I was referring to the Striva Pro headphones in particular (the ones in this thread). While these might not be for me; MV1, UR40, PRODJ200, QZ900 don’t look cheap to me.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM

I beg to differ, IMO all Koss headphones look cheap, particularly in real life...

Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
I beg to differ, IMO all Koss headphones look cheap, particularly in real life...
Good to hear your opinion again, I think I got it the first time you posted it in post #3

Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Good to hear your opinion again, I think I got it the first time you posted it in post #3
I just feel that it can't be stated enough just how cheap Koss headphones look.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Administrator

"Cheap" being a subjective term I can't really see an reason to argue about appearance. What may appear cheap to one person may be perfectly acceptable to the next.
Quote:
I beg to differ. You've made your point. This thread is about the introduction of Koss Wifi headphones, not the appearance of Koss headphones in general. If you want to discuss your perception that Koss headphones look cheap create another thread for that.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 PM

You guys are so high-strung, whats the harm in some banter...

As for the new Koss headphones - they might look cheap but 500 $ is not cheap... They'd better be worth this price. The technology seems sound enough, I'm surprised nobody else tried using wi-fi for streaming music directly into headphones before this point. I'm wondering how the battery life will be.

Is this the future of headphones BTW? No wires? Wonder what the boutique cable companies will do about this. Air purifiers for improved high-definition wi-fi audio transmission?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You guys are so high-strung, whats the harm in some banter...
Nothing wrong with banter but I would look in the mirror before you start calling others "high-strung." I certainly wouldn't call you that and you have managed to post the same thing three times.

On another note; what will the cable hyped audiophiles do without their cryogenically treated silver/copper cables that generate their delicious placebo of warmer expanded lower end bass? Not to mention the less shrill and greater body loss VS a wireless solution

Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OnTopic...
I did not notice the price. thats insane.

OffTopic...
a core principle I try to live by when stirring the pot or being goofy online

banter at the expense of others (in this case, Koss fans) = trolling

banter at the expense of yourself = humorous

this is not based on intent but based on the ability to easily be misunderstood in typed format to a bunch of strangers.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
OnTopic...
I did not notice the price. thats insane. ...
I agree that the price is way too high but it's probably MSRP. As you know, the actual price the retailers sell at vary and should be substantially lower I would think.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
OffTopic...
a core principle I try to live by when stirring the pot or being goofy online

banter at the expense of others (in this case, Koss fans) = trolling

banter at the expense of yourself = humorous

this is not based on intent but based on the ability to easily be misunderstood in typed format to a bunch of strangers.
My intention was not to troll and I apologize if my attempt at lighthearted humor has been misunderstood. I happen to be a Koss fan. Love their famous 60 ohm driver-based headphones such as the PortaPro or the UR40. Nevertheless (and I do realize I'm saying this now for the 4th time), their stuff is usually (always?) made out of very cheap materials and it shows. Its a characteristic of Koss that fans have learned to deal with. With this said, the cheap build certainly doesn't prevent some of their best headphones from sounding really awesome for the price.

Back on topic:
Most modern smartphones and many DAPs already have wi-fi. Would anyone here use the Koss wifi-phones instead? Personally, I like to be able to glance at the artwork of the album I'm listening to, so I think a fully wireless headphone like this would be overkill for me.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Most modern smartphones and many DAPs already have wi-fi. Would anyone here use the Koss wifi-phones instead? Personally, I like to be able to glance at the artwork of the album I'm listening to, so I think a fully wireless headphone like this would be overkill for me.
I would to eliminate the cable. Right now I am cabled up doing work on my PC. if I could have a media player minimzed on my PC screen and the wifi IEMs that would be cool. not $500 cool. Maybe $80 cool. unless the SQ is actually good. Lets say I would put a $50-70 premuim on it. Meaning I would pay $50-70 more for same SQ and added wifi feature. I could see it being nice for home gym usage too. I think Bluetooth APT-X would excite me more though, especially on a ipod nano like device. good sq, wireless, small form factor in a watch band. perfect setup for active....uhhhh...activities. that sounds stupid but you get it.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wireless headphones, if there was no SQ drop-off, would be nice....so you could have a smallish player perhaps in a pocket and have no cord to get snagged on things. But I wouldn't spend a lot to get that, unless I became suddenly independently wealthy.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:33 PM

IDvsEGO
The new MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 might be closer to what you suggest. And no I haven't tried them yet but happen to be reading about them before I read your post

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Wireless headphones, if there was no SQ drop-off ….
In a perfect world I would agree but the reality is that anything wireless is susceptible to one kind of interference or another.