android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Android

Old 04-21-2012, 12:33 AM

Default Spotify makes many hearts glad, releases overhauled beta for its Android app

Spotify. If you like music, then you’ll love Spotify. The all-you-can-eat Rhapsody killer has been taking the US and Europe by storm, mostly with its ad-supported free option, but also racking up a solid number of premium subscribers. With unlimited music from all the major labels, and a great social experience, it is easy to see why. Unfortunately, one of Spotify’s biggest draws—to me, at least—is also one of its biggest drawbacks. The ability to take that unlimited music on the road with my Droid is great, except for the part where Spotify’s app, well, sucks. But cry no more my brethren, for a fix is on the way!

Announced yesterday, the Spotify team has released a beta version of its next Android app, and has included some majorly needed updates. So far the change log includes a massive redesign, with a new slide-out navigation, and support for Android 4.0 ICS—including some relevant ICS styling nods.

Mimicking features of the desktop app is the name of the game with this beta update, with the ability to—finally—view your friends’ profiles and playlists, high-res artist imagery, and—once again, finally!—related artist view, helping you explore and discover new music. The going just keeps getting better, with an “Extreme” setting for audio quality, providing you with 320kbps streaming—those with weak data contracts need not apply.

The app is now also much faster, and providing the icing on the cake, folders and Last FM scrobbling are promised by the time the app goes live on Google Play. You can download it at the source link below, please note that this is not a Google Play link, so you will have to allow installation from “Unknown Sources” in order for it to work—but you probably already knew that.

So does anybody here besides me live on Spotify? I have a reasonable music collection, and have tried Napster, Rhapsody, and Zune—all in their respective heydays. I’ve also used radio-style apps extensively, once burning through over 5GB of data in a month, thanks to Pandora. Spotify, perhaps by nature of being of this millennia in origin, has far and away won my heart from all others. And with this new app, it is mighty hard to resist that premium subscription. What say you? I mean, ABIpod is a music community after all. What is your all-time favorite mobile music app, and why—if not Spotify?

[Spotify via AndroidAuthority]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 AM

my favorite mobile music app is winamp full version.. sorry.. it can use all the files from my pc and supports plugins from it's big desktop cousin.... this includes equalizer settings and playlist via by song name- not file placement... it has a huge equalizer that makes me happy too. It's honestly needed when you pound out with big boy 60mm headphones. Soptify.. never caught my eye, and I did try it.. it's like again.. comparing windows media player/banshe to winamp/xmms2 - and hah yes.. that was linux/windows equivalents.

soptify made me feel like I was listening to pulseaudio instead of alsa(preferred) ... weak cute.. meek.. but not for the diehard audiophile...