android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Even more amazing new development...

I just reinserted my microSDHC card.

AND I STILL HAVE MY WORKING M3U PLAYLISTS!!!

I am guessing that the cache version of the playlists was finally built successfully by my previous environment, when I had temporarily removed the microSDHC card.

And since I hadn't made any changes on the internal storage of the J3 since that process completed, but rather now only reinserted the microSDHC card, I suspect the cached version of the M3U playlists (or whatever got done that made it work) is still valid and untouched.

So now I am back to full storage capacity of the J3 (both internal and external storage in use), and the M3U playlists still show correctly under [Playlists] and work fine.

I will do some more experimenting, to see if something I now do will "break" this currently working playlist functionality and revert it back to "No file" and .M3U extension showing under [Playlists].

I'm going to see if I make a change to something on the J3's internal storage if that will have an effect, add another playlist, try and build playlists for tracks on the microSDHC card and store them on a new \Playlists folder on that external card, etc. Is M3U playlist functionality only for internal storage, or can it also work for the microSDHC card?

In other words, was it really only crucial to get this to work one time (without the microSDHC card inserted) and now it will keep working forever? Or if I begin to tamper with things again as I experiment, will I return to "No file" failing M3U playlist functionality as soon as I cause the J3 to rebuild internal storage cache?

Fascinating.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2010, 12:46 AM

Ok. After a fair amount of playing and experimenting, I think I now understand what the specific requirements and limitations are relating to M3U playlists and MSC mode, at least for the current 2.21 firmware in the J3 which I'm using.

I still feel strongly that the firmware needs to be corrected to overcome some defects and deficiencies, but for now at least it IS possible to get M3U playlists to "work", at least subject to several restrictions which we'll just have to live with for now.

(1) M3U playlists do NOT currently support any tracks other than on the internal storage of the J3.

Nothing on the external microSDHC card is usable in a playlist.

(2) You can use just about any of the myriad playlist creators, media players, MP3 organizers, etc., to create an M3U playlist (as long as the tracks referenced are only on the internal storage of the J3).

Track references within a playlist can either be "relative" or "absolute", with "relative" including both "\Music\..." as well as "..\Music\...". And "absolute" references can include the drive letter assigned by Windows when the J3 was connected in MSC mode (e.g. "W:\Music\...") even though that drive letter has no meaning to the J3. In fact the J3 will ignore those absolute drive letters if present when interpreting M3U playlists.

To be consistent, M3U playlist files should be stored in the \Playlists folder on internal storage of the J3. This location will ensure that they "work" even with "..\Music\..." relative track references.

(3) There is actually no one "correct" syntax or specific particular magic Windows program that works while all others fail. It turns out that ALL of them will work, as long as they put out an M3U playlist file that conforms to one of the general #EXTM3U structures shown below.

Also, there is no particular folder/filename set of rules or structures that must be adhered to for your music collection (though putting it all under \Music is obviously what they intended). Any organization and file naming convention you care to utilize is perfectly fine, as the references within the M3U playlist simply provide the complete path/filename required to access that music file... though it's assumed for the moment to be on the J3's internal storage.

Also, there is no particular requirement for ID3 tagging, and in particular there is no rule regarding how you specify "track number". It can be just an integer (1, 2, 3, etc.) or it can be fractional (1/10, 2/10, etc.). This is irrelevant to the M3U playlist handling and processing.

Also, there is no secret magic trick or numerology or special post-editing or clever sequence of non-intuitive steps that one must go through to get an M3U playlist to "work" on the J3, as long as the resulting final M3U playlist file looks like one of the following:

(a) Produced directly by Cowon's JetAudio program: [works on the J3]

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:255,Desperado
W:\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Desperado.mp3
#EXTINF:432,Hotel California
W:\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Hotel California.mp3

(b) Produced directly by Winamp: [works on the J3]

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:255,Eagles, The - Desperado
\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Desperado.mp3
#EXTINF:432,Eagles, The - Hotel California
\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Hotel California.mp3

(c) Produced directly by Playlist Creator: [works on the J3]

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:255,Hell Freezes Over - 15 - Desperado
..\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Desperado.mp3
#EXTINF:432,Hell Freezes Over - 6 - Hotel California
..\Music\Eagles, The\Hell Freezes Over\Hotel California.mp3

NOTE: it does NOT appear that playlists produced by MP3TAG are going to be usable on the J3, because they do NOT conform to the fully qualified path/filename requirements (implied by the three examples above) that reflect the folder structure underneath \Music which would allow the J3 to actually locate the referenced files.

For example, here is a sample M3U playlist file produced by MP3TAG that refers to tracks that are stored on the J3 in \Music\Adele\19:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:259,Adele - Best For Last
Best For Last.mp3
#EXTINF:211,Adele - Chasing Pavements
Chasing Pavements.mp3

Now to be fair, I haven't actually tested this out. But it sure doesn't look right to me unless the placement of the M3U playlist file itself within the actual \Music\Adele\19 folder is sufficient for the J3's analysis process to figure out exactly where those two tracks really live, which given everything we've seen so far is asking a lot.

But for sure, this MP3TAG-created playlist could absolutely NOT be stored in the general \Playlists folder, since the track references do not provide fully qualified path/filename sufficient to find the tracks. ONLY if the M3U file was stored in \Music\Adele\19 could this even possibly work.

Best to not use MP3TAG, but rather Winamp or JetAudio or Playlist Creator, all of which are easy to use, free, and create perfectly usable M3U playlists that CAN be stored in \Playlists.

(4) The real key to success, to creating M3U playlists on the J3 that actually work, is to REMOVE THE MICROSDHC CARD FIRST, WHEN YOU BOOT THE J3 FOR THE FIRST TIME RIGHT AFTER STORING YOUR PLAYLISTS IN J3:\PLAYLISTS.

As long as there is no microSDHC card inserted when brand new playlists have been saved on the J3 in the \Playlists folder, that very first boot of the J3 will discover the newly created M3U playlist files and will analyze their inner contents. It also appears that at this very first boot some type of object-usable interpretation of these playlist gets created and then placed into the J3's "cache" (though maybe I'm just projecting my own interpretation of what is probably going on).

And once these playlists have been "absorbed" and "cached" successfully (as they will, on this very first boot after creating them into \Playlists), the J3 can be powered off and the microSDHC card reinserted, and the J3 then re-booted. In fact the new reappearance of the microSDHC card does no harm to the "cached" version of the M3U playlists which were produced on the last J3 boot when the microSDHC card was not present... and these M3U playlists can STILL BE USED SUCCESSFULLY... even with the microSDHC card now reinserted!

So although the M3U playlists can only refer to tracks on internal storage, and although the "absorption" of newly created playlists occurs on the first re-boot of the J3 right after creating the playlists when the microSDHC card cannot be inserted, once that "absorption" and "caching" process completes you can reinsert the microSDHC card and get your J3 back to its full capacity. Of course you can only play music from the microSDHC card and you won't be able to use playlists for that external storage, but at least you will have still M3U playlist capability for everything on internal storage... from the "cache" process.

(5) If you create and save (in \Playlists) additional M3U playlists with the microSDHC card still inserted and then re-boot the J3, these NEWLY CREATED PLAYLISTS WILL NOT BE USABLE. In fact, they will appear under [Playlists] with the dreaded ".M3U: extension showing.

However the previously "cached" playlists WILL STILL BE USABLE... and they will continue to appear under [Playlists] WITHOUT the dreaded ".M3U" extension showing. They will still appear only with their name, and will still be 100% usable.

So you'll have a mix of playlist names displayed under \Playlists... (a) those that were "cached" at J3 re-boot without the microSDHC card inserted, and which appear without the ".M3U" extension, and (b) those that could not be "cached" successfully because the microSDHC card was inserted when the J3 was re-booted.

Again, this simply is another example of the fact that the J3 appears to build a "cache" version of the playlists discovered at boot time, but that process only happens if the microSDHC card is NOT inserted. And once the "cache" version is built it will not be lost, no matter if the microSDHC card is then reinserted, and even if new M3U playlists are then created and placed into \Playlists (although these will not ever work, if the microSDHC card is still inserted on the first re-boot of the J3 after they get created).

BOTTOM LINE: (1) remove the microSDHC card, (2) connect the J3 to the PC in MSC mode, (3) use whatever program/player (e.g. Winamp) you want to point to music files on the J3's internal storage drive letter assigned by Windows and create playlists as you want, storing them in \Playlists of the J3's internal storage drive letter, (4) click on "safely remove hardware" and "eject Cowon J3 (or its drive letter)", (5) disconnect the J3 from the PC, (6) re-boot the J3.

You should now show your playlists under [Playlists]. They will have been successfully "cached" and will not get lost.

You can now power off the J3, reinsert the microSDHC card to regain full capacity of the J3, power on the J3, and your previously "cached" playlists will still be usable.

NOTE 1: if you want to delete an existing playlist, you can do that without concern (even if the microSDHC is inserted). You will not lose any of the other existing playlists that are still in the "cache".

NOTE 2: if you want to update an existing playlist, you need to remove the microSDHC card so that the next J3 re-boot will re-process the new version of the playlist and "re-cache" it. I recommend that you actually (a) delete the original version of the playlist from \Playlists, and then (b) recreate a new updated version and save that version into \Playlists. I had some weird results when I tried to just overlay/save an updated playlist on the existing file on the J3, something you certainly can do with Windows but it produced really strange results on the J3 when that updated playlist was accessed. So don't try to overlay a playlist with an updated playlist. Delete it first, and then save the new updated version, and then re-boot the J3, and then you can again reinsert the microSDHC card to get back to normal.

NOTE 3: If you do not use an external microSDHC card, then M3U playlist files have been working for you forever!!! Right from the get-go.

I'm hoping Cowon will fix the firmware to support M3U playlists that access the microSDHC card files.

And they really should fix the problem where the microSDHC card needs to first be removed in order for the next re-boot to correctly process M3U playlists and "cache" them properly.

Last edited by DSperber; 08-13-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:33 AM

yes playlists still works if you put the mircroSD back, what i've done is just put the spare songs (non playlisted songs) in the microSD, still 16gb is a lot of spare songs.

what dont work (from what i've tried)
1. saving playlists on the external memory (even if it points to files in the internal memory)
2. playlists on internal memory that points to external memory files
3. playlists on internal memory that points to mixed internal and external memory files
4. using "Update DB" kills all your playlists
5. cutting your fingernails - cant open the hatch now!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduckquack View Post
yes playlists still works if you put the mircroSD back, what i've done is just put the spare songs (non playlisted songs) in the microSD, still 16gb is a lot of spare songs.
I'm 32GB+32GB, so I have a bit more flexibility.

Before I discovered this particular wrinkle regarding M3U playlists only being valid for internal storage, I'd simply divided my 6500 MP3 files (about 45GB) across the two drives approximately in half, and purely alphabetically.

But now that I am aware of the new M3U playlist constraint I'll have to re-think things. I don't actually have any playlists at the moment (other than what I've been experimenting with), so I have lots of freedom to decide how I really want to proceed.

Quote:
what dont work (from what i've tried)
1. saving playlists on the external memory (even if it points to files in the internal memory)
2. playlists on internal memory that points to external memory files
3. playlists on internal memory that points to mixed internal and external memory files
All of these restrictions are really from the same point... that you cannot have the card inserted when you re-boot in order to analyze, process and cache the playlists.

So that means (a) no playlist stored on internal storage can reference files on external storage... because there is no external storage when the playlist analysis is performed, since the external card must be removed in order to trigger the analysis!, and (b) no playlist can be stored on external storage and actually be usable, because the card must be removed in order for playlist analysis to be triggered at re-boot, so obviously the playlist stored on that card cannot possibly be seen, and (c) if you do have the external card inserted, with playlists stored on it, those playlists as well as any new playlists on internal storage will not be analyzed, since the external card must be removed in order to trigger the analysis at re-boot time.

These are really all the same problem... which really stems from deficient design in the J3 firmware, in my opinion.

Quote:
4. using "Update DB" kills all your playlists
I think I'd noticed that a while back, that actually all of the M3U playlist files themselves are literally purged from internal storage. Erased. Deleted.

Quote:
5. cutting your fingernails - cant open the hatch now!
But... you can swing that little mini-file out on your nail clipper, and use IT to open the hatch!

I also use mine to push in the card (both to insert, as well as to eject).

Old 08-16-2010, 02:27 AM

Wink Playlists...a reply from Cowon

At last a sensible reply from Cowon and it makes sense! Here it is:

"Thank you for using COWON J3.

I have tested many different ways to find the error that you reported. We have found that if SD card is inserted in COWON J3, m3u playlist displays as "no file". The issue is reported to our research team and they will refer to it as much as possible. "

So perhaps they can and will solve the problem with a firmware upgrade.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM

Ok guys,
I made a new discovery about playlist, for it's not working for me, either way I use among all those explained here and elsewhere...

What I discovered is just that playlist are not identified by the UI Leaf from Kizune, that many of us are using.
Just rename the "System\Flash UI\browser_total.swf" and you come back to the original browser... and there are all the playlists...

It's sad, but LEAF does not allow the playlist in m3u format or anything. So, we need to find another UI or ask Kizune to handle this...

EDIT : I updated Leaf to 2.1 and I'm having no more trouble, sorry for this post, but still, it can help anyone with Leaf <2

Last edited by xavdeb; 04-03-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 AM

Ok, I have made more tries and this is what i got at end.

FIRST :
playlists must not been searched in the directory where we put them. It may sounds obvious for all of you, but i read nowhere that the playlists had to be searched in the "Library" folder (or whatever it's name in english), which is one step before the absolute root folder (strange thing).
There, we can find a folder call Playlists (or whatever it is in english) where our playlists in m3u format are shortcuted.

SECOND :
I've tried many format, from winamp or from Playlist creator, both work but it seems that playlist creator works better, meaning that more tracks will be recognised.
Still, the wole playlist will not be handled by the Cowon if it more than 450+ tracks.

If I make a 1500 tracks playlist, the m3u generated by Winamp will become a 50+ tracks recognised by Cowon, while it will not be recognised at all by Cowon if I made it through playlist Editor.
But if I make a 400+ tracks playlist through Winamp and Playlist editor, the whole playlist from playlist editor will be recognised by the Cowon, while only a few tracks will be recognised in the playlist from Winamp.
(and the text inside the playlist is obviously not correctly written).

CONCLUSION
Playlists should be build by playlist editor if you intend to put more than 50 tracks in it.
But whatever you do,the COWON will not handle a playlist with more than 500 tracks.

So it's useless to me.

SOLUTION
I give up playlist, and I use folders instead.
The Cowon can play folders and inherited folders.
SO I can make several playlists by using folders, and adding one single track at the root of many subfolders so that I can play all the subfolders (Cowon wil play the content of the folder, which is 1 track plus all the subfolders).
It's not as convenient as playlist, but it's a good alternative.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I'm hoping Cowon will fix the firmware to support M3U playlists that access the microSDHC card files.

And they really should fix the problem where the microSDHC card needs to first be removed in order for the next re-boot to correctly process M3U playlists and "cache" them properly.
Does anyone know if this has been fixed in the various updates from Cowon? (I am using 2.29 on my J3).

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavdeb View Post
FIRST :
playlists must not been searched in the directory where we put them. It may sounds obvious for all of you, but i read nowhere that the playlists had to be searched in the "Library" folder (or whatever it's name in english), which is one step before the absolute root folder (strange thing).
You're misunderstanding that "Library" level. It's artificial, not a real physical folder. It is not anywhere on the J3's internal or external storage, neither at the "root" level nor below it anywhere.

It's not a physical notion, it's a logical notion. It simply represents the highest top-level from which all browser navigation then goes downward. When you push the Browser button on the main desktop and then push the icon to "return to the highest level", you are placed at the "Library" level. But it's not really a physical folder.

So, from this top "Library" level you can then proceed to navigate downward... either:

(a) physically, like Windows Explorer would, navigating downward through the physical folder and sub-folder structure of your collection, starting with Library -> [Folders]. Then you decide either [J3] for internal storage, or [J3 Ext] for external storage, and then you navigate further downward through the folders and sub-folders on that storage from the lists of folders presented in purely alphabetical order.

Here is what the J3's "physical" structure looks like for internal storage (with Kizune's Lynx, Leaf, Sense and Vision UCI replacements installed), with my V-drive letter corresponding to the J3's internal storage "root level". Note that there is no such physical folder called "\Library" at the root level (or anywhere, for that matter) on internal storage.

or (b) logically, as in Library -> [Artists], or [Albums], or [Years], or [Genres], or [Songs], all of which are lists built from the internal tag field values in each music file and are NOT at all related to the physical external folder/file name seen using Library -> [Folders]..

Quote:
There, we can find a folder call Playlists (or whatever it is in english) where our playlists in m3u format are shortcuted.
Actually, as you can see from my screenshot above, there is an actual physical folder named \Playlists. But this actually isn't required for J3 to be able to make use of M3U playlists. Yes, it's a common-sense parent folder name (just like \Music is a common-sense parent folder name) into which you might as well put all of your M3U playlists. Why not put them there?? Just like you put your music folders/files under \Music, why not put all your M3U playlists under \Playlists?

Actually, however, the J3 will find M3U playlist files no matter where they physically are stored. But you might as well put them all here, as that is a reasonable and sensible idea.

Quote:
SECOND :
I've tried many format, from winamp or from Playlist creator, both work but it seems that playlist creator works better, meaning that more tracks will be recognised.
Still, the wole playlist will not be handled by the Cowon if it more than 450+ tracks.
I think you've got your facts wrong here.

An M3U playlist file can have no more than 400 music files referenced inside of it. The 450 number you quote is incorrect.

Also, both Winamp and Playlist Creator do a "perfect" job of building M3U playlists in the #EXTINF 2-line format syntax required by the J3. Neither one does a better or poorer job. They both do a 100% perfect job.

Also, there is no getting away from the 400 maximum limit on the number of referenced music files, no matter whether you use Winamp or Playlist Creator. The 400 limit is coming from the J3, and it doesn't matter what Windows program you use to build those M3U playlist files. As long as (a) they are in 2-line #EXTINF form, and (b) they do not exceed 400 music files, then they will be 100% perfectly handled by the J3.

If you actually do build an M3U playlist file on the PC with Winamp or Playlist Creator (and PC versions of M3U playlist files CAN be larger than 400 files which is the J3's limit), and then save that greater-than-400 M3U playlist file on the J3 and expect it to work perfectly or even to make sense as the J3 "mangles" it, you're just fooling yourself. The largest M3U playlist file 100% acceptable to the J3 cannot exceed 400. Anything larger than that and the results are unreliable and unpredictable and are not worth discussing or trying to rationalize through numerology or experimental results.

Quote:
If I make a 1500 tracks playlist, the m3u generated by Winamp will become a 50+ tracks recognised by Cowon, while it will not be recognised at all by Cowon if I made it through playlist Editor.
I have no idea what will happen if you make a 1500 track M3U playlist file on the PC using Winamp or Playlist Creator while pointing to the music files on the J3 , and then save that M3U playlist file on the J3 and try to use it. Whatever results you do get... are completely unpredictable and random.

Again, you cannot expect 100% perfect results on the J3 unless you build an M3U playlist file which does not exceed the 400 maximum limit. Anything larger than that and I would call the results you get "random" and "unpredictable", and trying to draw any conclusions about expected J3 behavior is simply "numerology" and total fiction. It is unfounded, and unjustified.

==>> Again, an M3U playlist file on the J3 cannot exceed 400 entries if you want 100% reliable behavior by the J3. Period.

Quote:
CONCLUSION
Quote:
Playlists should be build by playlist editor if you intend to put more than 50 tracks in it.
I don't know what you are referring to when you say "playlist editor".

Are you talking about Cowon's Favorites? Favorites has a maximum of 250 entries, not even 400.

Are you talking about Kizune's "Playlist Editor" functionality in Leaf and Sense? This makes use of Cowon's Favorites functionality, and thus also has a limit of 250 entries... although the contents of that list can be saved and re-loaded using Kizune's UCI. So in a sense you can have an infinite number of these 250-max entry Favorites lists, that you can save by name and then re-load by name into Cowon's Favorites for actual use in playing.

But these are 250-max lists, not 400-max as M3U playlist files support.

Quote:
But whatever you do,the COWON will not handle a playlist with more than 500 tracks.
Actually, the Cowon firmware will not handle an M3U playlist larger than 400 tracks, and will not allow you to create a Favorites list larger than 250 tracks.

Quote:
So it's useless to me.
You haven't even brought up the real serious deficiency with M3U playlists. Although at least they can be built on a Windows PC using a Windows program (e.g. Winamp or Playlist Creator), the referenced music files on the J3 must ALL be located on the same storage that you SAVE the M3U playlist file on. A single given M3U playlist file stored on one J3 storage class cannot be used to play music files on the other storage class.

So for example, an M3U playlist file stored on internal storage can only reference music files also on internal storage. And an M3U playlist file stored on external storage can only reference music files on external storage.

Now this restriction does NOT hold true for Cowon's Favorites, which can actually point to music files on either internal or external storage. Unfortunately, Favorites cannot be built from the Windows PC, but instead must be manually built (with your fingers) one music file at a time. This obviously doesn't make it very practical or easy to build, but at least it can reference music files on both internal and external storage.

Quote:
SOLUTION
Quote:
I give up playlist, and I use folders instead.
The Cowon can play folders and inherited folders.
SO I can make several playlists by using folders, and adding one single track at the root of many subfolders so that I can play all the subfolders (Cowon wil play the content of the folder, which is 1 track plus all the subfolders).
A perfectly reasonable and sensible user-workaround, to overcome the obvious deficiencies and limitations of Cowon's overall design of M3U playlist handling or Favorites functionality.

Your folder approach is fine.

My own workaround is to use "genre" in the tag field as if it were a playlist name. I never need to browse my music collection by true genre (though others might not want to give that up as I was willing to do), so I use the "genre" field artificially... to hold a "genre-playlist" name.

This has several advantages: (1) NO LIMIT ON SIZE, up to a maximum of 16,000, and (2) can refer to music files on both internal and external storage, and (3) can be easily maintained by PC programs like MP3Tag simply updating the "genre" tag field on music files stored on the J3.

Disadvantages: (1) one music file can only be in one "genre-playlist", since there is only one "genre" tag field per music file, although if you want to move that music file to a different "genre-playlist" all you need to do is change its "genre" tag field value, and (2) you cannot actually browse by the true original "genre" since you've taken this tag field over and now used it for something other than genre", namely you've used it for "genre-playlist".

For example, I have 1100 FLAC files (my "favorite favorites") and 5600 MP3 files in my collection, with the total 6700 music files divided across internal and external storage of the J3. It's split pretty much A-L and M-Z by Artist (last name, first name or "group name"). My organization is \Music\Artist\Album on both internal and external storage. I have a "genre-playlist" of "FLAC" stored in every one of my FLAC files, which are scattered through all my artists, all my albums under the artists, and of course on both internal and external storage. So I can play all of my FLAC files (i.e my "favorite favorites") by simply browsing Library -> [Genres] -> [FLAC] and then [All Tracks]. This will instantly produce an internal playlist of all the 1100 FLAC files from both internal and external storage. I have playback control set to "random/shuffle", so I then begin to play all of my 1100 FLAC files in random sequence, which is EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO.

Genre-playlist. Could be good for you too.

Quote:
It's not as convenient as playlist, but it's a good alternative.
Genre-playlist. Consider it as an alternative.

Yes, you'd need to use MP3Tag to stuff the "genre-playlist" name value into the tags of each music file you want to treat as being in that "genre-playlist". But those music files can be on both internal and external storage, and in ANY PHYSICAL FOLDER you want. They do NOT all have to be in one physical folder on either internal or external storage.

Last edited by DSperber; 04-14-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbear View Post
Does anyone know if this has been fixed in the various updates from Cowon? (I am using 2.29 on my J3).
No.

This has never been fixed, and likely never will. Still a maximum of 400 files in an M3U playlist file, and still a single M3U playlist file can only refer to a music file stored on the same storage where the M3U playlist file itself is also stored.

You must simply decide for yourself whether or not this restriction and limitation is acceptable, or what alternative workaround compromise you can live with (from the several that are available), that gives you the most benefit and the least downside... depending on how you want to use a "playlist".

Personally, I don't use "genre" and don't care about it. So using it as a "genre-playlist" has all the benefits I want and none of the downsides. I don't care that a given music file can only be in one "genre-playlist" since there is only one "genre" tag field per music file. The ability to have no limit on number (up to the J3 max of 16,000 files) and can reference music files on both internal and external storage, AND can be maintained on the PC with MP3Tag... these are all positives for me.

I see no negatives in "genre-playlist", especially since I have only one of these: FLAC, with my playback control set to "random/shuffle". Works perfectly for me.

YMMV.

Tags
j3, m3u, msc, mtp, playlist