android
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM

Help Hoping I can still find help

I bought my iRiver H120 in Jan of 2004, and since then it has been one of the best investments I have ever made. This thing STILL has good battery life! Most recently I started having a little problem with it, though. I turn it on and it shows it is "Connected" as if when I have it plugged into a computer. Thing is, it isn't plugged into anything. If I plug it into the computer nothing happens, but if I reset it while it is plugged in, the harddrive is recognized and I can work with it. I was running the original firmware, so I thought maybe I needed to upgrade. I did, and nothing. Then I formatted the drive and installed Rockbox. Same thing. Finally reformatted and reinstalled the original firmware.

The problem is that I can't use the buttons when it is in the "Connected" screen...so I have to reset and push the power button jsut to make sure this thing doesn't keep spinning and spinning and eventually die from no battery. Any advice? Anyone? Where can I look? The other forum no longer exists, and honestly this thing still is in GREAT shape...just this one glitch. Please help, and thanks in advance.

Luis

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 PM

I used to do a fair bit over at the Misticriver site with the H1xx's and I cant recall any one having a always connected problem on H120.
The H3xx series used to have the problem and there was a workaround for it though I have no idea if it'd work on , or damage , your H120 as the h3xx had usb charging.
Here's a link to the H3xx thread from MR from internet archives wayback machine http://web.archive.org/web/200810132...cted-prob.html .
I'd use this method with caution though as it did at times reduce the battery life of the player and there's no telling what it might do to a h1xx.

The problem may be caused by a faulty component which would require a replacement part or possibly there's power leaking across the circuit board which is giving a signal that its connected. This can be caused by dust , corrosion or any conducting foreign material .
I'd try removing the covers and blowing the board down with a can of compressed air and then some contact cleaner. Avoid spraying the LCD with contact cleaner just to be safe.

One other thing that used to give trouble on the H1xx'x is the connection between the mother and daughter boards (I seem to have forgotten the problem this caused though). But while the covers are off you could try applying a small amount of pressure to the daughter board and see if it makes any difference.
The quick fix for this was to put a small amount of packing on the board to keep the pressure on once reassembled. Or, if you've got the gear and know how to do SMD soldering you can resolder the pins on the connectors.

Hope this was of some assistance.