android
Old 01-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default The LOD thing

Can sumone quickly explain to me whats going on wit hthe Line out on the fuze?
With my clip+ and other mp3 players, when u connect a portable amp u just use the 3.5mm headphone jack, what's going on with the fuze and that funny fat/slim usb looking port running to the amp? why not use the standard headphone jack like all the rest?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's probably no difference at all.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree that there's probably no audible difference, regardless here is ClieOS thread on the Fuze's diyLOD guide.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanx chaps.

I got my hands on my brand new sansa fuze can't wait to tinker with it

I now have the clip (8gb), clip+ (8 gb) and now the fuze (8gb) hahah

Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Thanx chaps.

I got my hands on my brand new sansa fuze can't wait to tinker with it

I now have the clip (8gb), clip+ (8 gb) and now the fuze (8gb) hahah
LOD is also fixed level output, and it bypassed the volume control section. In case you want to use LOD with Rockbox, I hacked together a custom 3.10 Rockbox build. See the Rockbox subforum.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Before you put much time and effort into this project to possibly no benefit I'd check this thread. In post #11 saratoga kicks in with a more complete explanation of what line out is and whether or not there may be a benefit to using it.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedv View Post
LOD is also fixed level output, and it bypassed the volume control section. In case you want to use LOD with Rockbox, I hacked together a custom 3.10 Rockbox build. See the Rockbox subforum.
How carefully have you looked at that patch you're using?

Code:
+        /* lineout active: force to 0dB */
+        vol_l = vol_r = tenthdb2master(0);
You're just setting the volume to 0dB when its on, not "bypassing" it.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
How carefully have you looked at that patch you're using?

Code:
+        /* lineout active: force to 0dB */
+        vol_l = vol_r = tenthdb2master(0);
You're just setting the volume to 0dB when its on, not "bypassing" it.
Hi Saratoga, thanks for your comments. I repeating something I remembered reading. Probably read it wrong. I see in the specs of the chip that both the outputs have volume control.

Line output

max 1Vp 10Kohm in single ended stereo mode
>32ohm in mono differential mode to driver ear-pieces
32 gain steps @ 1.5dB and MUTE

Stereo Headphone Audio Amplifier

2x60mW @ 16ohm driver capacity
32 gain steps @ 1.5db and MUTE
Click- and pop-less start-up and power down
Headphone and over-current detection
Phantom ground eliminates large capacitors

Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 PM

I've been using a LOD cable that I bought (wasn't foolhardy enough to build my own), and yeah- there's probably no difference. Doesn't mean I don't use it most of the time I power up my Fuze (podcasts excepted), though .

It would be cool to see the LOD patch merged in with the main Fuzev2 branch. I was convinced I'd never get it working again when RB moved to git, but I somehow managed to haha.

P.S. While we're on the subject, whoever gave us the ability to assign custom settings to the quickscreen is a genius.
SoundMagic PL50|SoundMagic PL30|Bang&Olufsen Form 2

Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunami88 View Post
It would be cool to see the LOD patch merged in with the main Fuzev2 branch. I was convinced I'd never get it working again when RB moved to git, but I somehow managed to haha.
I don't like how that patch works, so I don't think it should be committed. Plus its kind of pointless. LODs make zero sense with the Fuze, so the only people using them are hobbyists who like to screw around with their device. That kind of person can probably compile, or at least google for a custom build.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
...Plus its kind of pointless. LODs make zero sense with the Fuze, so the only people using them are hobbyists who like to screw around with their device. That kind of person can probably compile, or at least google for a custom build.
I wouldn't say zero sense...Even if the LOD simply outputs the same thing as the Fuze's headphone jack at 0 dB, it can be (and I speak from first-hand experience here ) surprisingly convenient not having to adjust the player's volume to 0 dB when plugging it into, say, a car head unit's AUX in jack...and not having to reduce the volume again when switching at some later point back to headphones. I keep my low-priced, eBay-sourced LOD in my car, already hooked up to a mini-to-mini audio cable, so it's a quick plug-it-in-and-forget-it maneuver once I sit down to drive. When I leave the car, it's a swift disconnect and I'm never at risk of inadvertently blasting out my eardrums with my IEMs.

I also take some aesthetic pleasure out of being able to set my Fuze in the Griffin dock beside my stereo system and have it play music in a balanced, upright, and forward-facing (dare I say sensible ) position.

In short, there are legitimate, snake-oil-free justifications for using the dock connector on the Fuze to output audio -- even if they don't fit into another person's use model for the device.

Last edited by epithetless; 03-16-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I wouldn't say zero sense...Even if the LOD simply outputs the same thing as the Fuze's headphone jack at 0 dB, it can be (and I speak from first-hand experience here ) surprisingly convenient not having to adjust the player's volume to 0 dB when plugging it into, say, a car head unit's AUX in jack...and not having to reduce the volume again when switching at some later point back to headphones. I keep my low-priced, eBay-sourced LOD in my car, already hooked up to a mini-to-mini audio cable, so it's a quick plug-it-in-and-forget-it maneuver once I sit down to drive. When I leave the car, it's a swift disconnect and I'm never at risk of inadvertently blasting out my eardrums with my IEMs.

I also take some aesthetic pleasure out of being able to set my Fuze in the Griffin dock beside my stereo system and have it play music in a balanced, upright, and forward-facing (dare I say sensible ) position.

In short, there are legitimate, snake-oil-free justifications for using the dock connector on the Fuze to output audio -- even if they don't fit into another person's use model for the device.
I'm guessing you don't have a Fuze V2, since the patch doesn't work like that. You actually have to go into settings and enable line out, which is more difficult then just raising the volume. For this reason I am not a fan of that patch.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I'm guessing you don't have a Fuze V2, since the patch doesn't work like that. You actually have to go into settings and enable line out, which is more difficult then just raising the volume. For this reason I am not a fan of that patch.
While I do own a V2, you're correct: The line-out functionality I enjoy is, by necessity, only with my Rockboxed V1. I also agree that the V2 patch in question isn't what should be committed...

If your "LODs make zero sense with the Fuze" quote was meant to refer exclusively to the V2 models and that particular patch, I apologize for misreading it as a more universal statement...

Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Or you could add that setting to the quickscreen and toggle it with three button presses from literally anywhere... Just sayin'...
SoundMagic PL50|SoundMagic PL30|Bang&Olufsen Form 2

Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunami88 View Post
Or you could add that setting to the quickscreen and toggle it with three button presses from literally anywhere... Just sayin'...
Still no easier then adjusting the volume, hence, no real point.