android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 02-05-2012, 06:46 AM

Default [NEW MUSIC] playlist option not working, battery still very bad, clock still off...

I've been willing to put up with the J3 quirks for a while because, well there's just very few good MP3 players being made out there.

But recently I've gotten very frustrated at a few things:
1) Battery still won't last more than 10 hours with MP3s only and not even using any of the games! Just straight playback. I charge it every other day.
2) The New Music function on the music browsing tree will never work: it counts the SD card as new music whenever I plug the J3 on. COMPLETELY unuseable
3) and of course the clock still stops whenever the J3 is charging, which means it's never on time

How complicated is it to release a good firmware when all the other companies are doing it?
So I'll be looking for another player, hoping there's something better... I'm tired of half assed jobs.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 PM

just dont know why ppl didnt know that they should charge j3 with ac adaptor for 8 hour first time to reach great battery life

USE AC CHARGER .. NOT USB i tested it

i made mistake on my zen x-fi 2 and didnt made it again in j3 , and now i charged it and using it like 3 day

Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
3) and of course the clock still stops whenever the J3 is charging, which means it's never on time
This is not a problem I have.

Sounds like you may have what many others have experienced, which is the well-known "clock stops when the J3 is on, and starts when the J3 is off" problem. The result is certainly what you describe... namely that the clock is not accurate.

But it's actually caused by an apparent firmware bug, that seems to get tripped by some users from something they do. And once it is tripped it doesn't "fix itself"... and thus from that point forward it appears that the clock is simply not ever working properly. Again, the real symptom is that the clock STOPS getting updated when you power the J3 on, and then it STARTS working when you power the J3 off.

Fortunately, if this is really the problem you now have with your own J3, there is a TRIVIAL FIX!!!

Just select the FM Radio item from the desktop main menu. You don't actually need to play any station, or set up Radio if you've never been into it before. Just select it, to open the Radio app. That's it.

You can then go back to your desktop and proceed with normal J3 music playing use. I believe the clock will now be updated properly and keep proper time.

BINGO!!! You've now just fixed your clock problem!!! Something about opening and starting the Radio app obviously resets (permanently, not just temporarily, so it must get written out corrected into one of the system's SOL files on internal storage of the J3) whatever it was that controls the clock updating by the firmware.

However and whatever and whyever the Radio app does the fix, it does. And now your clock should function perfectly, no matter whether it is powered on or off, and no matter whether you are charging it (with AC adapter or USB to computer) or not.

Let me know if this Radio trick fixes this clock problem for you.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I've been willing to put up with the J3 quirks for a while because, well there's just very few good MP3 players being made out there.

But recently I've gotten very frustrated at a few things:
1) Battery still won't last more than 10 hours with MP3s only and not even using any of the games! Just straight playback. I charge it every other day.
2) The New Music function on the music browsing tree will never work: it counts the SD card as new music whenever I plug the J3 on. COMPLETELY unuseable

How complicated is it to release a good firmware when all the other companies are doing it?
So I'll be looking for another player, hoping there's something better... I'm tired of half assed jobs.

2) You need to preserve date created when you copy the stuff over. Mine works fine, I have stuff I just ripped last night which is in the 1Day, nothing in the 1Week, lots in 1Month, and the rest in Etc., although it's all by song title, so I find it pretty useless for me.