android
Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM

Default FiiO E10 RMAA Tests

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/index...&search_mode=f

The E10 is an excellent soundcard and headphone amp. It drives most anything with ease, it has almost no background hiss even with the most sensitive IEMs (at non-silly listening levels), and the two gain levels make it even more versatile. Bass boost sounds subtle and punchy enough on the E10, much better than on the E6. Treble appears to be slightly rolled off on the E10's analog outputs - it's not overly audible to my ears, it shouldn't matter much (Hifiman, anyone? ).

I couldn't get the S/PDIF output working properly on two different machines, my desktop and my netbook. Not sure what's wrong here, but the measurements are not to be taken seriously (4% IMD, etc). On the other hand, I had no issues with the D5 S/PDIF output, makes me wonder what's wrong with the E10's digital output.

The E10 is a much better device than the D5 in almost every aspect. If you're looking for a soundcard with headphone amp, don't get the D5, get the E10 instead. The E10 is really an extremely high quality product with very little flaws.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm....maybe a nice upgrade next spring at tax refund time.
I've already got good DAP's, so an E10 and maybe another full-size headphone for home use....

Old 11-03-2011, 03:18 AM

Is there any real reason to get this if I already have an E7 (paired with the mighty FX500 on the road and D2000 at home - sometimes through a Matrix MStage)?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:53 AM

Well, the E10 is small and lightweight, a perfect companion for a netbook or laptop. The volume control is much better than the buttons on the E7, in my opinion. The E10 has less background noise with sensitive phones as well. Of course it's not portable in the sense of the E7, it's not battery powered. Depends on what you need - if you already have the Matrix amp for at home and the E7 for on the go, it's up to you if you need it.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 AM

Well largely it is a question of sound quality - if it is a more competent DAC, I might buy it, if not, perhaps not. On the other hand, the E7 is kind of borderline for the sensitive FX500, I find myself controlling volume in Foobar more often than not because even level 1 is quite loud.

All else fails, I might still get it to hook up to my old analog receiver - if/as/when I get around buying another set of speakers for that thing...

Old 11-03-2011, 04:58 AM

In that case the E10 might certainly be better than the E7, especially since it has a low gain mode for sensitive phones, which the E7 lacks.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:58 AM

Decided to just order one. Let's see how they compare

Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM

It sounds amazingly although even on low gain, it is almost too much for my FX500.

It does suffer of one big issue though: EM shielding is shit lousy, even with 1m distance between the two, I can hear GSM buzzing which I never experienced with the E7

Been trying it out with my D2000 in the last couple of days. The headphone out honestly drives it every bit as nicely as when I connect the line out to my 300USD desktop Matrix M-Stage #GiantKiller :P

FIIO FTW

Last edited by skip252; 12-18-2011 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Posts merged. Please edit your original post instead of multi-posting

Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Borrowed it with uDAC2 from a friend for two weeks
Initial: dead silent, and no channel balance issue compared to uDAC2.
Since it's brand new I'll put it through some burn-in and then listen thoroughly with my TF10, K81DJ's and my brother's srh440's.
Also planning photo session. ;P

Old 01-01-2012, 05:11 AM

I've been very pleased with mine. For 60, what's not to like?

Drives both my Sennheisher HD600s and AKG K701s equally well, despite one being 300ohms and the other a notoriously difficult load and around 30-ish ohms.

I will be upgrading to a CEntrance DACport at some point, but then that's more than 4x the price!

Will admit that the headphone socket is a bit shonky though....

Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Another positive review of the device(s) in question.....

Quote:
I listened to the E10 with two headphones, Sony's new XBA-4 in-ears and my full-size Audio Technica ATH-WS55 headphones. The E10 sounded seriously potent; the little thing fully communicated the hard-hitting dynamics on drummer Max Roach's "M'Boom" all-percussion albums. The bass boost switch added more kick, but the E10 didn't lack gravitas with the boost turned off. Compared with the Audioengine D1 DAC/headphone amp ($160), the E10 sounded clearer, bigger, and better when I cranked the volume way up. Funny, the E10 was half the size of the D1, and when I switched on the bass boost the E10 stomped all over the D1. I started to see why the Fiio fanboys really love these amplifiers! The E10 rocks!

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 02-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM

NwAvGuy also has some more in depth measurements.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I couldn't get the S/PDIF output working properly on two different machines, my desktop and my netbook. Not sure what's wrong here, but the measurements are not to be taken seriously (4% IMD, etc). On the other hand, I had no issues with the D5 S/PDIF output, makes me wonder what's wrong with the E10's digital output.
I have the E10 and the S/PDIF out works perfectly. I have it running from my desktop to the receiver I use for my television setup.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM

any suggestion how the e10 compares to the e17 (money is a factor considering the 17 is almost double the price of an e10

ive been constantly searching for insights of the e17 and all i can find is mike on headfonia raving about every item he gets his hands upon

sonically i dont belive thier should be a difference i guess mike begs to differ
"Not better in this or that, good in certain aspects but less so in others. It’s better, no matter how you look at it, even ignoring all the added features. The reality is that if you think the E10 sounds good, then the E17 is going to be a clear upgrade. Identical tonality and sound signature means that if you like the E10′s sound, the E17 does bass/mid/treble exactly the same way. The bonus is that with the Alpen, the bass is punchier (awesome!), tighter (awesome x2), soundstage is wider, and the midrange is clearer. What is there not to like?"

really a bunch of non sense to me. that is why i come here i trust this site the most!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM

sorry guys failed to mention that im not looking at the e17 feature wise.. and i know its also a portable amp (which i have taken under consideration )but i was just really really curious about their sound.. in regards of being "a clear upgrade" or not.

edit: damn, treble control is something quite noteworthy :x