android
Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Help IEMs under $50 better than JVC HA-FX67?

Hi guys, first post on abi>>.

I'm looking for a new set of IEMs. I had a pair of JVC HA-FX67's, but I found a brand new way to accidentally break one side and now I'm down a channel. So I'm looking for a replacement pair.

I really liked them, but they were severely lacking in bass power and tended to get a bit screamy at higher volume. Every bass drum kick was disappointing, and every cymbal made me wince. I'm looking for a set of IEMs that can fix these problems.

I have a FiiO E6 for amplification, which means I can boost bass if necessary, and I use a Zune HD as a player, which means no custom EQ.

Any help is really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like my Soundmagic E10. good all around IEM with decent bass presence.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:03 PM

How well do they handle higher volumes? The JVC HA-FX67's tend to get fairly sharp and abrasive.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Klipsch S4 IEMs have gotten good reviews (although I remain concerned about the thin cables; however, Klipsch offers a 2-year warranty on the IEMs, and so must think they are sturdy enough). I just saw open box units of the phones available via Amazon.com from 3rd parties at under $50 shipped, as well as refurbs at around $50 shipped--a thought.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...0642495&sr=8-1

Especially at under $50 (and I never shy away from open box sales, which can pose great deals), these phones really are a super deal--check the Amazon.com and other reviews (such as Cnet's, which is a best buy) out.

A few things to note, when I had tried them out earlier:

The carrying case for the buds is a silly metal case, which only will get dented--replace it with something you already have or can easily buy. (Check out this nifty, flexible carrying case, which is thin and will fit in a shirt pocket, at $3.69 shipped. http://www.***************/Stylish-S...ase-Black.html I actually have a few of them put out by Pisen (also available at the above site, and other sites such as meritline.com (and I've had no sales charge issue at either site, btw)), which are perfectly sized for a set of phones and a few extra cables/small accessories; and there are other colors at the site as well.) (edit: Am not sure why, but ABI isn't allowing me to provide the link for the cases---forum censored site work around removed--- (as one word) and search for Xingyuan Stylish SONY Digital Camera Case Black, and for Pisen Digital Camera Protective Bag Case Pouch.)

And I originally didn't like the comfort of the included rubber buds, which irritated my ear canals a bit more, at least initially, than those of other phones--I might swap them out for others, if that's an issue.

edit: Still not sure why the ABI software does not like the site I had tried to list (no reason is given by the software/site/edit--frustrating when that happens). Alternatively, try meritline.com and search for Pisen--a variety of inexpensive cases there, perfect for earbuds. (Hopefully, Meritline is an acceptable site to list--I have purchased many items from them and they are reliable, with good customer support.)

Last edited by Mikerman; 03-01-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: To provide alternate website info.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM

I really did not care much for the S4. Was not bad exactly, but seemed overpriced to me. I get the impression that the E10 IDvsEGO suggested would be better bang for your buck.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Milkerman, your carrying case link is broken. Any chance of a repost, or should I just overcome my laziness and google?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Administrator

You're missing both the edit in the body of the post and the reason for the edit. The forum software is breaking that link and I removed the workaround. You'll have to google the maker or pm Mikerman.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...read.php?t=519
Banned Sites
  • Some sites have been banned from the ABi forums due to spamming and other malicious activity. Links to banned sites will be deactivated and censored by the forum software. Circumventing this censor may result in a warning or a ban.
  • Some sites are also banned for selling counterfeit goods. Some retailers have been selling direct knockoffs of iRiver and Creative products. We asked them to take them down, they did not so they are now banned from the forums. It may not make much of a difference in the big scheme of things but it is about principles. iRiver and Creative put a lot of money into designing their products and to have another company duplicate their design is blatant theft.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Thank you, skip. Helpful knowledge, there.

Klipsch S4 vs. Soundmagic E10 - which is superior? I've found the Klipsch for $41 and the Soundmagic E10 for $28.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Administrator

I gave up on the S4 after they had to be returned for splits in the strain relief where the cable entered driver housing. I'm very careful with my IEMs and couldn't see any reason why it shoild have happened. Then I read a number of other complaints about the same issue and decided to look elsewhere.

I sold them for a fraction of what I bought them after warning the buyer about my problems. They told me they split in the same way for them a few months later and stopped working on one side shortly after.

I found them to be decent. A bit too bass heavy for my taste but not bad. They were better than my Senn CX300 but not enough to justify the $70+ I paid for them even if the strain reliefs had remained solid.

I'm seriously considering the E10 on the strength of dfkt making them an Editors Choice. I've read enough of dfkt's reviews to know that he doesn't slap the Editors Choice tag on just anything. I trust his judgement on SQ more than CNET. I bought the S4 based on the CNET review and wasn't impressed.

I have other headphones he's assessed and reviewed and I've learned that what he calls punchy I'll think of as approaching basshead. Not that he's wrong in his review, we just have different ideas on what's enough in bass. That's what I've learned about how to use reviews.

I don't have to agree with a reviewer's opinion, I just need to be able to translate their review to what it means to me. If a reviewer is consistent you can find how to translate how their opinion relates to you. CNET reviews are too inconsistent for me to use them as a source for recommendations.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

These are EEVL!!! http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HA-FX1X-Xt.../ref=de_a_smtd

Old 03-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Able Planet SI550. My favorite IEM under $100.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 PM

How are these?
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HA-S4X-Xtr...sim_02_01_t_lh

And, DarkSide - what is EEVL?

EDIT: Aimran, what's good about them, to you? How are they in terms of bass? How do they handle high volume? How physically durable are they?

Last edited by thesoupiest; 03-01-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: new reply

Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 PM

The Soundmagic E10's do sound fantastic BUT beware of the build quality. I've been babying mine since I bought them in January and after a month of usage the right phone housing started falling apart and the balance became uneven between them,one phone became stronger than the other.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoupiest View Post
EDIT: Aimran, what's good about them, to you? How are they in terms of bass? How do they handle high volume? How physically durable are they?
The bass is excellent. They are punchy, controlled, and have lots of impact. The overall sound is smooth, rich, lush, and laid back with great depth to the sound. I haven't heard any distortion at high volume. I do believe these share the same drivers as the Radius HP-TWF21 aka DDM2 since the housing design looks similar, they both have 17mm/5mm dual drivers, and the specs are almost same. The SI550 may be slightly tuned differently, but from what I read about the Radius, they sound very similar.

Now, they may not be using the Radius drivers at all, but regardless, they sound excellent for the price. I like them almost as much as my Triple.Fi 10 for different purpose of course.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Eevl = evil

Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the s4 and the e10 and I prefer the e10 even if it was just for the fit. the s4 is very reliant on a good seal. I mean, all IEMs need a good seal but some still sound OK when they slip. The s4 and the meelec m6 are the only two I have used that sounded like completely different IEMs when the seal slipped somewhat. As far as build quality, I have heard both brands called into question but I have had my e10 since right around the time they came out and the s4 for about 1.5 years...no issues with either. as far as the comment about the tin case...if it is denting that means the impact is being taken by the case. with a soft case the impact can be transferred to the IEM. I use hard cases almost exclusively. Mint tins are where its at. Altoids, trader joes green tea mints, etc.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoupiest View Post
Milkerman, your carrying case link is broken. Any chance of a repost, or should I just overcome my laziness and google?
For some reason, as noted above, ABI doesn't like one of the sites I mentioned (altho I've purchased from that site and found it to be just fine) and won't permit a link or reference. But meritline.com sells the Pisen camera cases which I have, in different colors:

http://www.meritline.com/pisen-digit...--p-38154.aspx

http://www.meritline.com/pisen-fashi...--p-38152.aspx

http://www.meritline.com/pisen-fashi...--p-38150.aspx

http://www.meritline.com/pisen-fashi...--p-38153.aspx

http://www.meritline.com/pisen-fashi...--p-38151.aspx

Focalprice.com has the Pisen cases as well (sometimes with better pricing), including under the separate Sony Cybershot name.

Tags
fiio e6, iems, zune hd