android
Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Default Fuze+ With 32GB MicroSD 99 Problems!!!

So i am a fan of the regular Fuze(I have gone through 2 of them and they were awesome) so I figured the fuze+ must be BETTER right???? Well I got a 4GB model slightly used on ebay and it seemed to be operating fine with the onboard flash and a additional 4GB SD. I got a Kingston 32GB MicroSD on ebay a few days ago and ever since I've been struggling with this damn thing. First I tried to sync via WMP.....I have roughly 20GB of music to put onto the card....WMP stalls out and stops responding. Tried again...this time it finished but only a few of the albums were intact when the card loaded. Reformatted and Tried Mediamonkey to sync....same results. Finally last night I formatted again and tried the old drag-and-drop. A few hundred folders...one at a time...I even checked that the files were intact on the card by playing them directly from there on WMP. This time It wouldnt even display the card at all, just the slotradio icon. I removed the SD and checked the contents on windows explorer. The contents of the Music folder were all renamed in gibberish and/or weird symbols. No individual MP3 files were left at all!! 20+ gigs of music just GONE. I am so confused. Does anybody have any suggestions for me??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Did you format the card first and make sure it was real?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Fuze+ is NOT as good as the Fuze. Which you would have found out here if you had checked first.

digital cards from eBay...not a good idea...use h2testw to test it's size - test the WHOLE card

gibberish names...usually a sign of MTP

WMP...not a good choice for a music manager

Sorry for the quick answers...on my way out the door.

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 12-17-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 PM

It came in original retail packaging but I don't know if the card is genuine or not....looks totally legit to me. Yes I formatted and reformatted the card with the format utility on the Fuze+ and also with the format utility on WMP 11. Everything transfers fine to the card if I do it via an sd card slot or usb reader. The problem occurs when I insert the SD into the Fuze+ and it seems to ignore either most of the files or all of them...

Old 12-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Formatting doesn't check the authenticity of the card. You can format a bogus card and it will falsely report the size and the success of the format. Get yourself a copy of h2testw and use that.

It reads and writes to every sector of the card and reports the actual size. I'm not saying you have a bogus card but what you describe with files seeming to write to the card and then not showing after they should be there is what others have reported when the card was faked.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 PM

I believe that Sansa's Fuse + works best with a sandisk card. Seems I've read this somewhere on this forum. Not a definitive answer I know. PS/ I like WMP, familiar with it, easy to use, problem free, encoded music sounds good to these old ears.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 PM

I'm about halfway through the H2testw and it looks pretty bad: This media is likely to be defective. 14.0 GB lost.....I'l post the results when it's all done..thanks for pointing me in the right direction fellas

Old 12-17-2011, 04:28 AM

Sounds like it's a fake card :/

Old 12-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Yep. Here we go:

The media is likely to be defective.
1.8 GByte OK (3796304 sectors)
28.9 GByte DATA LOST (60723888 sectors)
Details:28.9 GByte overwritten (60723888 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
0 KByte corrupted (0 sectors)
70.4 MByte aliased memory (144216 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x000000005b615000
Expected: 0x000000005b615000
Found: 0x000000007a595000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 1.83 MByte/s
Reading speed: 1.79 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4
I'm not 100% sure but these results look crappy to me....looks like I need to contact the seller and get my money back...in the meantime Im looking at a Cowon audio D2. Any thoughts ?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Administrator

The amount of data written and read is the actual size of the card. In this case that's 2 GB. Get your money back.

No real insight into buying a Cowon D2. Personally I wouldn't want to buy into the possible issues from dealing with a older battery. I would expect that it has a lot less life left in it than a newer one so I wouldn't get one unless I found a way to replace the battery and the price was low enough to cover that expense.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Hopefully you can get your money back, I would strongly recommend you report the seller as well. Don’t ever buy sd cards off ebay, there’s just to many people that get ripped off with fake cards that look perfectly real. There's good deals offered on Amazon all the time, I recently got a sandisk 32gb class 4 microsd for $30.00 w/free shipping, so there are good deals around.

Used D2 from a reputable member or dealer should be fine as they had awesome battery life to start with. I'd look for a referb first from a reputable company with a good return policy (normally referbs only have up to 3 weeks return policy). Make sure you test everything out right away in case you want to return it. I’ve bought 3 refurb sansa clips in the past, 2 from buy.com and another from woot.com. All 3 are still working fine about 2 or more years later, so refurbs from a good dealer are fine, good luck

Old 12-18-2011, 01:19 AM

i had a similar problem with some of my cards too. I agree with audie61 about sandisk cards working better. i have several cards i load up and rotate through and periodically have some sort of problem with all of them but the sandisk card. when i had the worst problems(very similar to yours) i made hidden files visible then used a shredding program to erase everything off of the player and let the firmware rebuild it all at the next reboot and it seemed to solve the problem. did some checking and still cant figure out where i came across the tidbit about sandisk cards working better, maybe just a rumor

Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by propagandhi View Post
i had a similar problem with some of my cards too. I agree with audie61 about sandisk cards working better. i have several cards i load up and rotate through and periodically have some sort of problem with all of them but the sandisk card. when i had the worst problems(very similar to yours) i made hidden files visible then used a shredding program to erase everything off of the player and let the firmware rebuild it all at the next reboot and it seemed to solve the problem. did some checking and still cant figure out where i came across the tidbit about sandisk cards working better, maybe just a rumor
Unless you were dealing with fake cards your problem wasn't the same as what's happening here. The authenticity of the card is the question, not the brand. If the OP's card is the fake the test results indicate, branding is irrelevant.

My experience is that sandisk is no better or worse than any other. No idea why you have problems with your cards, mine have worked reliably regardless of brand. I set them up by using the SDFormatter and make sure to always safely disconnect after changing content. My Kingston, Transcend, sandisk and no-names have all performed well when I've done that.

There's been a couple of posts the last few days saying "I can't remember where I found this info" about why sandisk is better. If anyone could track down an actual study showing greater reliability in a particular brand that would be helpful. I believe that would be more useful to someone deciding how to spend their money than our anecdotal experiences.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It is fairly common for somebody to say something like "Sandisk is best for the Sansa players". Rarely is any reason given other than the implied thought that a Sandisk card will work better in a Sandisk player.

Like skip252, I have a variety of cards, and haven't had any trouble with any of them. I don't have any Sandisk microSD cards. Mostly Lexar.

I've had digital cameras for some time now, and I did have problems about 5-6 years ago withone card -- it was a Sandisk CF card.

Steve

Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM

Well I'm glad to hear other brand cards than sandisk work reliably with sansa's. I apologize for helping spread manure , I really try to avoid that sort of thing.
Though it may not make a differance, The player is made by sandisk, sandisk has a reputation for top quality memory cards, the differance in price is not dramatic, see where I'm going?
PS/ I've been burned internet shopping before, people are flawed. Though sometimes I have been awed .

Old 12-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie61 View Post
PS/ I've been burned internet shopping before, people are flawed. Though sometimes I have been awed .
Just as easy to fake a Sandisk as anything else. If you're going to fake a brand might as well choose a good one.

Steve

Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM

LOL, bit of a negative attitude. Holiday season gotchya down? Getting flack from people for recommending sandisk, so I'll stop.

Last edited by Audie61; 12-29-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 AM

More likely to get a fake with a 32gb than a smaller size card. Guess it's more return on a thiefs effort. A good rule of thumb is if it seems to good to be true, it likely is.
I am poor, so I have been buying used 8 gb cards and used fuze +'s. Got 4 of each in the last 3 months for gifts and 1 for myself. Spent time loading and playing with each one. No problems. I realize most people here are into high dollar toys, but for those scraping by it's an option.
Sorry to get off subject.

Last edited by Audie61; 12-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Did you format the card first and make sure it was real?
This would most likely be the problem.

Even if it came in legit packaging, its prob a fake.