android
Old 02-10-2012, 02:56 AM

I've lost the medium sized tips for these and am having to make do with the small at the mo, which is giving me a lot of sibilance at higher volumes with some material.

I imagine this question has already been answered, but I don't have time at the mo to read through the whole thread, so I wondered if someone could quickly suggest what the preferable replacements might be (not Comply) please, bearing in mind buying options for me in the UK.

I know dfkt likes the Ultimate Ears tips, and these are an option, but do they fit on the Pannys properly?

Thanks all

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sony Hybrids work fine. Although I think they could be (significantly) cheaper, they are often available.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
The Sony Hybrids work fine. Although I think they could be (significantly) cheaper, they are often available.
Thanks Mikerman. They actually sell those in HMV just down the road from where I work, but 5.99 for three pairs. I'll do some huntin'.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 AM

I really need some help here

I lost one of my HJE-900 earbuds and I am desperate for a replacement. Could anybody possibly sell me one or point me in the direction of somebody who could? I'm kind of freaking out right now I adore these IEMS.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

check ebay and head-fi for broken sets.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Administrator

It wouldn't hurt to put a "Want To Buy" in the Classifieds here. There's people that visit there that won't ever come to this thread and see this. Good luck on your search.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:21 PM

If you're looking for just the buds (the rubber bits), get these:

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_...ancedsound.htm

I love them. They're not too big, not too small, block most outside noise, have a large aperture so they don't mess with the music, etc.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
If you're looking for just the buds (the rubber bits), get these:

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_...ancedsound.htm

I love them. They're not too big, not too small, block most outside noise, have a large aperture so they don't mess with the music, etc.
+1 That's exactly what I use on mine. I agree with your points and would emphasize these are by far the most comfortable tips I've found for HJE900s. That is a big plus because to me comfort is the only drawback to these phones. Also these double flange tips stay in place better than anything else I tried.

I still love the Panas though I just recently had to replace my cable. I was getting an intermittent signal on one side. I wear them over the ear and the conductor apparently broke down where the cable bent around my ear above the connector.

I bought the Sleek Audio SA1 cable. It's OK I guess, but the build quality is pretty disappointing, especially for the price and compared to the Panasonic OE cable. The Sleek cable is much thinner and springier, with a permanent memory that doesn't allow re-coiling much differently than how it came out of the package. Also the connectors fit more loosely than the Panasonic did, and tend to work loose. There is one plus, they are lighter than the Panasonic cable so there is less load on the phones. Consequently they stay in place better when moving around.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 12-21-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: clarity

Old 12-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the info.!

Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
+1 That's exactly what I use on mine. I agree with your points and would emphasize these are by far the most comfortable tips I've found for HJE900s. That is a big plus because to me comfort is the only drawback to these phones. Also these double flange tips stay in place better than anything else I tried.

I still love the Panas though I just recently had to replace my cable. I was getting an intermittent signal on one side. I wear them over the ear and the conductor apparently broke down where the cable bent around my ear above the connector.

I bought the Sleek Audio SA1 cable. It's OK I guess, but the build quality is pretty disappointing, especially for the price and compared to the Panasonic OE cable. The Sleek cable is much thinner and springier, with a permanent memory that doesn't allow re-coiling much differently than how it came out of the package. Also the connectors fit more loosely than the Panasonic did, and tend to work loose. There is one plus, they are lighter than the Panasonic cable so there is less load on the phones. Consequently they stay in place better when moving around.
I've had the SA1 replacement cables as well, and they lasted from September until now. That's roughly three months, and the death wasn't exactly sudden. My left phone started fading about a month ago and a few days ago it was completely dead. I switched the cables back and forth and both the phones work when powered by the "left" side of the cable. That's a bit disappointing really, after all I did pay 25 quid or so..

Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyro View Post
I've had the SA1 replacement cables as well, and they lasted from September until now. That's roughly three months, and the death wasn't exactly sudden. My left phone started fading about a month ago and a few days ago it was completely dead. I switched the cables back and forth and both the phones work when powered by the "left" side of the cable. That's a bit disappointing really, after all I did pay 25 quid or so.
Sounds like there may be a repair attempt on the Panasonic OE cable in my future. Not sure how practical that would be though, seeing as the repair would be over the ear where I need flexibility and lack of bulk. Hoping someone here may have good suggestion on this.

Why oh why did Panasonic market such a nice IEM with a replaceable cable and then fail to offer the replacement cables?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just found this review. Coming from Soundmagic E10's are they a decent step up? I ask as dfkt himself only has the just above the E10's on his spreadsheet.
A quick google and I'm seeing different versions/products of the RP-HJE900, which exactly are the ones dfkt reviewed?
Are these them?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-RP...onic+RP-HJE900

EDIT: I now see that E-K means black. I ordered these, they are getting shipped to my dad in uk, then they will go to me in oz (seller wont post to oz). Man i couldn't find these anywhere, seem to be last pair on earth!

Last edited by BruceBanner; 09-05-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

These are excellent phones, with great construction. Unfortunately discontinued outside of Japan (and I'm not sure about Japan), in a poor decision-making process.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh i feel lucky to have grabbed a pair...
Now i'm wondering how easy it will be to find a replacement cable should these one fail somewhere down the line...

Old 09-05-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Just found this review. Coming from Soundmagic E10's are they a decent step up? I ask as dfkt himself only has the just above the E10's on his spreadsheet.
I don't have the E10s but I have the E30s and when I got them I made the point that the close rankings to the HJE-900 on dfkt's spreadsheet don't adequately reflect the really significant difference.

I still love my HJE-900s and the E30s are still a backup pair for use only when there's a greater risk I might lose or damage the Panas. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your purchase.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 09-06-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Now i'm wondering how easy it will be to find a replacement cable should these one fail somewhere down the line...
I do believe the Sleek Audio SA1 cable should fit the RP-HJE900. I know the SA6 cable does (although it enters at a right angle, instead of straight), and the SA1 cable looks to have the same barrel size (but straight, like the RP-HJE900's). Also, I'm not sure about the availability of Sleek Audio accessories outside of the US...but it's an option.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Keep your eyes open at ebay--I picked up an extra cable that way.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I do believe the Sleek Audio SA1 cable should fit the RP-HJE900. I know the SA6 cable does (although it enters at a right angle, instead of straight), and the SA1 cable looks to have the same barrel size (but straight, like the RP-HJE900's). Also, I'm not sure about the availability of Sleek Audio accessories outside of the US...but it's an option.
Thank you.

Talking of Sleek Audio accessories I can't find the wireless solution at all? Where is to buy the transmitter (3.5mm headphone jack one) and the receivers? Do you HAVE to buy their IEMs to get the receiver or...?

I read they provide 10hrs battery life, that's enough for a day at work for me, genuinely interested in this as a wireless solution, BT doesn't last long enough for my purposes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Keep your eyes open at ebay--I picked up an extra cable that way.
Cheers, will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
I don't have the E10s but I have the E30s and when a I got them I made the point that the close rankings to the HJE-900 on dfkt's spreadsheet don't adequately reflect the really significant difference.

I still love my HJE-900s and the E30s are still a backup pair for use only when there's a greater risk I might lose or damage the Panas. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your purchase.
Interesting. I guess I thought that just because they sit above the E10s in the spreadsheet doesn't necessarily equate a slight better sound, the scale here is perhaps hard to judge, so I was hoping they would be a significant higher quality difference, this is good news to hear
For sure I have a few of the IEMs on this spreadsheet and agree on alot of the placements etc.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Talking of Sleek Audio accessories I can't find the wireless solution at all? Where is to buy the transmitter (3.5mm headphone jack one) and the receivers? Do you HAVE to buy their IEMs to get the receiver or...?

I read they provide 10hrs battery life, that's enough for a day at work for me, genuinely interested in this as a wireless solution, BT doesn't last long enough for my purposes..
From the internet trawling I just did, it looks like the W-1 transmitter and receiver (the two were packaged together) are now discontinued. The Sleek Audio site hardly makes any mention of them, so I wouldn't be hopeful about coming across any at this point.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes that's what I saw also... shame.