android
Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Default Syncing data loss

Recently synced my sansa clip, I had deleted the music that i had put onto my clip from my computer. When i synced the device to my computer, the music i had put on the sansa but had deleted from my computer was removed from the sansa!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richybaby100 View Post
Recently synced my sansa clip, I had deleted the music that i had put onto my clip from my computer. When i synced the device to my computer, the music i had put on the sansa but had deleted from my computer was removed from the sansa!!!
That's why it's not recommended to auto-sync....the software saw that the music was off your computer, and so it assumed you also didn't want it on your Sansa.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Administrator

You don't mention what software you used but most have an option to keep things in sync by eliminating anything that not on the player from the computer. That usually works in both directions. What's not on the computer won't be on the player. Handy for relatively temporary files like podcasts, no good when it's part of your permanent collection.

You'll need to find that setting in your software and change that to your preference. If it's Windows Media Player you'll find that in Options>Devices. If you're not using WMP look for Tools, Options or Preferences in most other software for your sync or device settings.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Thanks guys

Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

richybaby100

Welcome to ABi. Hope we can help you to enjoy your player. A couple of comments

1. IMO, drag & drop works better than sync. But I support multiple players from two computers with much of the music on external hard drives. [Which reminds me, it's time to back up some newer stuff to those drives.]

2. It's a good idea to have a backup of your music in case the player gets lost or damaged. Presumably the backup would be on the computer, but maybe an external drive of some form.

Steve