android
Old 02-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Unhappy J3 won't start; reset doesn't work

I tried to turn on my J3 this morning. It showed the regular COWON screen during start up, but then the screen went completely black. It doesn't respond to any button presses or when I touch the screen; the reset button on the back does nothing, and plugging it in using the wall charger or through USB to a PC does nothing either.

Last night the battery was at 75%, so I don't think the battery is the issue. When I look at it in a dark room with all the lights off, I can see that the screen's backlight is very faintly lit as if the screen is on but the rest of the system is somehow frozen and not displaying any of the UI. Also, the system doesn't respond to any USB connection. It won't charge, and it doesn't even register on a PC.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything like this or if there's any solution to get the thing to wake up again. I'm kind of hoping that the dim backlight will drain the battery eventually and maybe it'll respond when it's completely out of power, but I'm not sure. The fact that the reset button on the back doesn't even work can't be a good sign.

It's just weird that it happened all of a sudden because I've never once had an issue with the system -- never frozen up, never had any tag errors, nothing. Then, all of a sudden while starting up it just froze.

I'd really appreciate any help or ideas you guys may have! My warranty has expired and I like the J3, but I don't want to get a new one if there's a chance it'll randomly break without warning.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If all else has failed (reset, connecting to pc to format & re-firmware), try tcctool http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37160

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 AM

Yes Ive got same problems, read "J3 dead" thread. Looks like myJ3 drive is screwed as nothing will format or access the root folders.

the Tcctool is first thing to try as recommended to you. I don't think you will be able to save any media on your J3 by the sounds of it. If you can format the J3 then I think it will be back working........You can use a few programs to do this SDformat, and killdisk http://www.killdisk.com/

The firmware will not be wiped, but a fresh reload of firmware may be a good idea. If nothing will format then I'll let you know what to do, as I'm about to email Cowon to see what I can do next

Old 02-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, but luckily no extra action was needed.

My hunch was right. The battery eventually died and the J3 let me recharge it. Once it was done, it was like nothing had ever happened (apart from the fact that the clock needed resetting because the battery was totally empty).

Knowing Cowon products, I'm going to assume this will happen to me again sometime in a few months , but so long as it resets itself it's not a big deal.

The battery thing does concern me somewhat. I've got a 32GB J3, and I've never had the low battery life problem that others have had -- my J3 has always lasted around 45 to 50 hours on a charge, running the latest firmware (which apparently increases battery life somehow). But like I said in my original post, it was at 75% when it froze in the morning, and then eight hours later when it turned itself off the battery was completely empty. I do hope this isn't the beginning of battery memory issues. I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Thanks for the responses again, I really appreciate the help you can get on this board within a short time of posting.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Really glad you got it sorted. I would also make sure to do the safely remove hardware when unplugging usb lead. i think it reduces the chance of data corruption, even though it takes longer than pulling it straight out. Im now looking to get another player, do i risk another Cowon???