android
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM

Just tried with headphones and it seems OK.. strange... i don't normally use 'phones, i have it connected up to amplifiers instead, the previous version was fine but now the bass clips at moderate volume. But not with the R0 app - that's still clean and loud. But it seems fine with headphones, i don't get it... OK ignore for now, i need to investigate further, obviously.. I must've set it up wrong, but i'm sure i'm using exactly the same settings as the previous version - all default, except bass +18 and treble +9. Sounded fine with all my tunes before, now they sound farty...

Sorry, i'll check this out more thoroughly tomorrow and report back...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Samsung Moderator

bass +18

Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVibrating View Post
now the bass clips at moderate volume.
Quote:
all default, except bass +18 and treble +9. Sounded fine with all my tunes before, now they sound farty...
So you drive bass 18 dB above saturation and you say it clips

Take a look at the rockbox manual (for any target, eq is the same on all), it has a good description of how to use a real EQ:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...l#x9-1110006.8

You need to use precut or negative gain to avoid driving things above 0dB or the amp will saturation and you'll get distortion.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Yes it's saturating, but that doesn't seem to solve the volume issue - and also, why only this latest build, not the last one?

I had a play around again today, same result - with volumes as low as -18 to -24 i still get severe clipping.

RB used to be loud and clear with the same bass and treble settings - everything the same - now it's quiet and crackly, just unusable. I have to stick to R0 app for now.

Also there's the question of why it only saturates when amplified - not when using headphones connected directly to the YP-R0. My amplifiers take up to 5V on the low gain input signal, and like i say, the previous version of RB was fine, and R0 app remains fine too. It's only when i use this latest build.. the previous build i used had the digital distortion, but was otherwise loud and clear.

It's as if there's an impedence mismatch or something, but only when using RB!

And yes +18 bass might seem high but that's the lowest setting i use - it's normally set at +24 and previous version of RB was fine at this setting. I have a seperate amplifier for the subwoofers and an active crossover network with a 60Hz cutoff, 300W to 440W depending on how i wire up the subs (2ohm DVC Kickers). So it shouldn't be saturating, and like i say, previous version of RB was OK, R0 app still OK...

But latest build RB is half the volume it should be and heavily saturated.. but only when amplified! Weird huh?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
I had a play around again today, same result - with volumes as low as -18 to -24 i still get severe clipping.
Did you apply the precut as the manual suggests? You should get severe clipping at any volume level if you have the bass set 18 dB above saturation without applying enough precut.

Quote:
RB used to be loud and clear with the same bass and treble settings - everything the same - now it's quiet and crackly, just unusable.
Its possible bass and treble adjustments were disabled on whatever build you were using before.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 PM

The bass and treble were definitely working fine in the previous version. Like i say, it'd play fine all day with bass between +18 and +24 - the only settings i use. It's definitely RB that's clipping and not my hifi - R0 app sounds fine with comparable bass levels. I have a 120Hz high pass filter on the full-range speakers too. Can't find a manual in RB, and no manual online either. None of the manuals for other players i've found mention precut. I do see the setting there however so i'll try turning it on tomorrow.. i'm doubtful this addresses the problem though - if it's saturating then why's it so much quieter rather than louder? Why could the previous version and R0 app handle bass, and current build can't? I'll also try turning the bass down tomorrow, just to see what happens, but then i can't hear my subs so that isn't a solution...

Perhaps tomorrow someone else could also try amplifying their YP-R0 to see if they can replicate the problem? It's a big difference between RB and R0 app, or first build compared to current one.. can't just be me affected..?

Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
The bass and treble were definitely working fine in the previous version. Like i say, it'd play fine all day with bass between +18 and +24 - the only settings i use. It's definitely RB that's clipping and not my hifi - R0 app sounds fine with comparable bass levels. I have a 120Hz high pass filter on the full-range speakers too. Can't find a manual in RB, and no manual online either. None of the manuals for other players i've found mention precut. I do see the setting there however so i'll try turning it on tomorrow.. i'm doubtful this addresses the problem though - if it's saturating then why's it so much quieter rather than louder? Why could the previous version and R0 app handle bass, and current build can't? I'll also try turning the bass down tomorrow, just to see what happens, but then i can't hear my subs so that isn't a solution...

Perhaps tomorrow someone else could also try amplifying their YP-R0 to see if they can replicate the problem? It's a big difference between RB and R0 app, or first build compared to current one.. can't just be me affected..?
I use it too also through an amplifier sometimes and it just works (bass +10), but maybe could you post a specific file? So we can do some detailed tests! I'm not audiophile, tough

Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 AM

I want to ask something..
If I want to RB the R0 so I just put the ".Rockbox" folder into the device ?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Samsung Moderator

You just follow the instructions in the 1st post of this thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see the 1st page before..
Btw thx

Oh, I have a few questions about the Rockbox :
1.) Is the RB increase the Sound Quality ?
2.) Is the RB for R0 had sound feature like the others? (sansa fuze/clip+)
3.) If I use the RB can I use the DNSe features too ?

Terima Kasih (Thank You in Indonesian laguage)
Sorry if my English bad. .

Old 02-04-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see the 1st page before..
Btw thx

Oh, I have a few questions about the Rockbox :
1.) Is the RB increase the Sound Quality ?
2.) Is the RB for R0 had sound feature like the others? (sansa fuze/clip+)
3.) If I use the RB can I use the DNSe features too ?

Terima Kasih (Thank You in Indonesian laguage)
Sorry if my English bad. .
1) If the internal codecs of rockbox are better, it sounds better. If not, it is the same => quality should be the same.
2) It is quite a normal rockbox, just under the hood is a bit different from other ports
3) No, of course not. You cannot use them since it's part of the original firmware.
4) To remove all doubts you'd better install it and try it. Only in this way you can answer your questions

Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenz092 View Post
1) If the internal codecs of rockbox are better, it sounds better. If not, it is the same => quality should be the same.
2) It is quite a normal rockbox, just under the hood is a bit different from other ports
3) No, of course not. You cannot use them since it's part of the original firmware.
4) To remove all doubts you'd better install it and try it. Only in this way you can answer your questions
Okay thanks
I will try rockbox my R0 and I will report

Old 02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
So you drive bass 18 dB above saturation and you say it clips

Take a look at the rockbox manual (for any target, eq is the same on all), it has a good description of how to use a real EQ:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...l#x9-1110006.8

You need to use precut or negative gain to avoid driving things above 0dB or the amp will saturation and you'll get distortion.
Rockbox is supposed to do that automatically isn't it? Perhaps that's not working anymore?

Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 AM

This morning I worked a little on FM radio. I think there is something wrong in the audio line in selection or what since I cannot listen nothing, while opening radio device MAKES the radio chip turning on (tested using an external C program, where a script was setting alsa properly before turning on line input ecc). I'm still not sure what's wrong though and I haven't so much time these days
But after all, I think that we should write a kernel module able to directly access to device, reading and writing it's registers plus turning it on / off. In this way we can use rockbox driver (already present) to manage the rest (tuning, rds etc).
What do you think kugel? Because samsung's module is a pain to be reversed I guess

Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Rockbox Developer

I think it would be nice to avoid a kernel module if possible. But it's not *that* bad and if it works out easier for you I won't complain.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Has nobody else got the same sound problems as Zema and me (post 585)? I thought that formating the player had solved the giltches but they came back after awhile. Have you got ideas what can be provoking this?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Samsung Moderator

Nothing new or important but just for the symbol: the R0 has now its own thumbnail here http://build.rockbox.org/ Isn't that beautiful?

Thanks to perfectdrug for designing the pic in SVG format
http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12577

The R0 also shows up here now hehe http://themes.rockbox.org/

Last edited by lebellium; 02-07-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Nothing new or important but just for the symbol: the R0 has now its own thumbnail here http://build.rockbox.org/ Isn't that beautiful?

Thanks to perfectdrug for designing the pic in SVG format
http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12577

The R0 also shows up here now hehe http://themes.rockbox.org/
Great
EDIT: uhm for the themes: there are NONE listed?! Strange...maybe someone has typed the resolution wrongly somewhere?

Quote:
Has nobody else got the same sound problems as Zema and me (post 585)? I thought that formating the player had solved the giltches but they came back after awhile. Have you got ideas what can be provoking this?
I suggest you to try to do a scandisk (-> fsck.vfat /dev/sdX -aw on linux) because when the filesystem becomes corrupt in some way, we noticed abnormal cpu usage or so!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Hello. I think I found a small graphical bug.
In default skin(cabbiev2) does not change icon when changes state of shuffle (on\off). Icon always "off"

I found a solution. in file .rockbox\wps\cabbiev2.wps
line %xl(D,shuffle-240x320x16.bmp,139,0) -> %xl(D,shuffle-240x320x16.bmp,0,0)

sorry my English, and brevity.

Last edited by ottogrey; 02-07-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: screenshot

Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottogrey View Post
Hello. I think I found a small graphical bug.
In default skin(cabbiev2) does not change icon when changes state of shuffle (on\off). Icon always "off"

I found a solution. in file .rockbox\wps\cabbiev2.wps
line %xl(D,shuffle-240x320x16.bmp,139,0) -> %xl(D,shuffle-240x320x16.bmp,0,0)

sorry my English, and brevity.
You should report this kind of "general" issues (not related to our port) to rockbox community (via irc, flyspray...)
Thanks anyway

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0