android
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Default Earphones for use with Samsung R0

Hi all, this is my first post on ABI (hopefully not the last either!) so be nice. I've been lurking around here for a few months now trying to get more info on devices particularly the Samsung R0 which I've got my hands on recently (thanks fleabay!). But I have some concerns so please help if you can.

OK, at home I use my Sennheiser HD-25 headphones (professional monitoring HPs) connected up to pc via a dedicated usb soundcard that handles upto 24bit audio for general listing to and producing and the sound levels I get through this setup are great, clear and very loud! However I am saddened to notice that this is not the case when connected up to the R0. I wasn't expecting it to output anywhere near my home pc/soundcard setup but still feels like I could be getting more level somehow. I believe it may have something to do with the Sennheiser's high 70 ohm impedance rating. The Samsung has an output of 20mW per channel at 16 ohms but unfortunately I have NO idea what this means with regards to the HD25s I'm using it with. Also I don't plan to use the expensive HD25s with the R0 as I would rather use a pair of earphones which I am right now considering.

So my question is if I buy a decent pair of earphones from Sennheiser or Sony etc at around 20-40 would I get more of a volume boost out of the R0? Currently I have the latest 1.25 firmware for it but would loading rockbox onto it improve the levels in anyway?

Also please throw in any recommendions of quality, loud(?) earphones/ear canal earphones that may be of interest to me. I'm looking towards buying the Sennheiser MX 580, CX 300-II, CX 300-II Precision, OCX 880, CX 400 II Precision or Sony EX310, Sony MDR-XB21EX it's a long list I know just have to narrow them down very soon!

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"So my question is if I buy a decent pair of earphones from Sennheiser or Sony etc at around 20-40 would I get more of a volume boost out of the R0?"

It depends which model it is, and how sensitive it is. The HD25-1 mk2 is 120 db/V. The MX580 is 119 db/V. The CX300II is 113 db/V. The Ex310 is 123 db/V(105 db/mw 16 ohms). To get higher volume you need a more sensitive earphone(higher db/V).
The Sony E888 is 16 ohms 108 db/mw, so it is 126 db/V. It sounds quite good. Beware of fakes though. A difference of 3 db is almost inaudible. A 10 db difference sounds around twice as loud. The best idea would be to get a small portable amp like a Fiio E6, then you could use any IEM.

Tags
earphones, headphones, r0, samsung