android
Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Samsung Moderator

I added a FAQ in the 1st post of this thread.
Hopefully that may help some people here

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2012, 04:32 AM

If anyone else using a Mac is having trouble with the "Invisible .rockbox Folder" and is a bit worried about using the Terminal etc (like me) I do recommend a utility called "Tinkertool" which I have just downloaded. It's free and enables you to toggle the view of invisible files on and off.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
If anyone else using a Mac is having trouble with the "Invisible .rockbox Folder" and is a bit worried about using the Terminal etc (like me) I do recommend a utility called "Tinkertool" which I have just downloaded. It's free and enables you to toggle the view of invisible files on and off.
haha this is funny, really! An operating system (well filemanager..) that doesn't allow you to show hidden files

Jokes apart, I don't know if you are able to test it correctly with the old modded firmware for rockbox (but it should work fine). Anyway I will publish another updated version of the firmware. With this firm, you will need only to copy .rockbox folder to the root of the player. The rest is automatically included
I think there will be two main versions:
- one is the original rockboxed firmware: just possibility to load rockbox and safe mode + rc.user custom script executable from player's root
- the other one, also with drk, cpu trick and 5 seconds reset. indeed with the capability of loading rockbox too.

By the way, some interesting links:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SamsungYPR0 - Port status (but you should always take a look at commits to see last changes)
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/TargetStatus - General devices status
http://build.rockbox.org/ - Current builds (last svn...) - YP-R0 is not yet listed (should be in a few, should not be difficult to add a link )

EDIT: ops! links were available on the first page No problem, better to say it twice than never

Last edited by Lorenz092; 01-25-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
An operating system (well filemanager..) that doesn't allow you to show hidden files
You can see invisible files using the ordinary "Find" command as there's a visibility setting but it's just not that easy to work with them although you can delete them. You can also turn them on and off via the Terminal so it's not true to say "that doesn't allow you to show hidden files". It's just easier with a third party utility. Considering the damage you can do on a Mac by deleting invisible files it's probably a good thing.

This is the first time in over 20 years that I've needed to see an invisible file.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 PM

I've got sound glitches. I bought a 32 GO card and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It works fine. The only thing is that when I pause the music and let the display turn off (I have it set at 15 seconds), wake up the player before it turns off completely (set to 5 minutes) (first button pressed turns on the backlight only) and then play the music (doesn't matter if I wait 1 second or ten) there's a weird noise that lasts perhaps a tenth of a second. It reminds me of the sound of the music speeding up when you pressed the play button on old cassette recorders. This only happens from the SD card and if the display was asleep. When I turn on the player there isn't this noise. When playing music from the internal memory this sound is replaced by a click. So I was wondering if it is due to the card (is access time slower on a larger card.) Obviously I seem to be the only one having this problem which is rather annoying but I thought that I should say it anyway just in case. I suppose the best thing is for me to format everything and start from scratch. Also I noticed that downloading music to the card (I have several sizes) through the R0 is much slower than going through the slot in the PC. So I do the bulk of the work through the slot and "top up" through the R0.

I've just noticed that the size of the card doesn't matter for this noise and sometimes it does it from the internal memory too.

Last edited by Appick; 01-25-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Additional info

Old 01-26-2012, 11:31 AM

I also have this problem. And as I said before, the sound became quieter. With the old version of RB was not like this. Long download files on microSD - a feature of the player.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:41 PM

Actually i guess that sound is now quieter it's true, can't say it for 100% though.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predelnik View Post
Actually i guess that sound is now quieter it's true, can't say it for 100% though.
Indeed it's "quieter" but only because the volume range was hacked by me...you shouldn't care about the "graphical" level, but the actual sound volume. Well, yes it could be that final volume isn't so high like the old version, but anyway you should be able to use the same volume levels (at a different "point" speaking about the graphical bar....) as the old version.
i.e. before was 10 -> XX real dB sound volume, now it's 20 -> the same XX real sound volume
Don't know if it's clear

Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenz092 View Post
Indeed it's "quieter" but only because the volume range was hacked by me...you shouldn't care about the "graphical" level, but the actual sound volume. Well, yes it could be that final volume isn't so high like the old version, but anyway you should be able to use the same volume levels (at a different "point" speaking about the graphical bar....) as the old version.
i.e. before was 10 -> XX real dB sound volume, now it's 20 -> the same XX real sound volume
Don't know if it's clear
I think the mixer volume is still set too low. Looking at the last commit, kugel reduced it to 5dB lower then the Sandisk players, even though its (probably) the same part, so the max volume is probably below what it should be.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I think the mixer volume is still set too low. Looking at the last commit, kugel reduced it to 5dB lower then the Sandisk players, even though its (probably) the same part, so the max volume is probably below what it should be.
Uhm okay, I suspected that too! (that's why i did the "hack" back in time )
So we need to see about this indeed, maybe a different "implementation" i.e. some protection resistors/capacitors?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM

THe Graphic Equalizer still doesn't work on the latest new rockbox build

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenz092 View Post
Uhm okay, I suspected that too! (that's why i did the "hack" back in time )
So we need to see about this indeed, maybe a different "implementation" i.e. some protection resistors/capacitors?
I think it should just be increased to the AMSv2 level. If its set too high the only thing that happens is that values near 0dB might distort. Thats easy enough to check with a tool like RMAA (or even by ear with a test tone and an amplified speaker (so you don't blow your ears out listening at max volume ).

You can see dfkt's tests here of the AMSv2 version of that dac:

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...2016%20Ohm.htm

THD just gets a bit worse at 0dB (and of course much worse at +6dB) if the mixer is set too high.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 PM

The question is not about a new version RB...Can I create and change the background for reading text files in a RB? I loved the backgrounds txt files in the original firmware R0, but first - I can not find them in the Neo Ghost, they are probably in a format qng, and the second - just do not know how to change the background for txt files in RB... It is even possible, and is it difficult to do it yourself?

Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zema View Post
second - just do not know how to change the background for txt files in RB... It is even possible, and is it difficult to do it yourself?
The code for the text viewer plugin is included with rockbox, so you can make it load whatever images you want.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 AM

Just to report it here too
Now R0 build is nicely linked into this page http://build.rockbox.org/
...an image is still missing but you should know how R0 looks like

Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
The code for the text viewer plugin is included with rockbox, so you can make it load whatever images you want.

But how with the text viewer to load your own background for text files?

Last edited by zema; 01-29-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zema View Post
But how with the text viewer to load your own background for text files?
I guess saratoga wanted to say that the source code is free to be edited, so if you are skilled enough you could change it by yourself

Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 AM

I understand, but apparently I'm not skilled enough...I thought I could do it easier.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Just wondering if the volume bug's fixed yet - i've had to switch back to R0 app because RB is too quiet and horribly distorted..?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVibrating View Post
Just wondering if the volume bug's fixed yet - i've had to switch back to R0 app because RB is too quiet and horribly distorted..?
Is it distorted? Lowering the mixer volume shouldn't have caused that.

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0