android
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Default Best BA Around $100

Anyone have any input on what the best BA for around $100 is? I mostly listen to rock. I am obviously not a basshead since I am looking for a BA (although I am open to dynamic suggestions). Looking mostly for a balanced sound with maybe a slight preference towards the midrange. The Ultimate Ears 700 and Etymotic HF5 are two I was considering.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 AM

The Phonak PFE surpasses them both by a mile. A bit more than $100, though - but definitely worth it.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The Phonak PFE surpasses them both by a mile. A bit more than $100, though - but definitely worth it.
About twice the price, but I know those are well regarded around here. They look rather large from the photos, would they be comfortable for someone with small ears? (I forgot to mention that in my OP.)

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM

Well, the PFE 012 go for less than $100, but they only come with one pair of filters. They are the same drivers as the PFE 112 though, and by buying the other filters you can make them sound the same. The PFE 112 go for ~$140 usually - $200 would be a ripoff.

They are small, just shaped to go over the ears - smaller ears should have no issues regarding a proper fit.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM

I was looking at the 122. Cheapest I see the 112 is $170 though. That is more than I want to spend right now, but I am in no hurry to buy, maybe I just put off until I can find one for less.

Thanks, I could tell they were designed to go over-the-ear which is preferable, but I could not tell just how far they came back. I tried a friend's pair of Shure SE215 the other day and discovered that their design was not good for small ears.