android
Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 AM

Default Noob looking for new IEM/headphones

Hi all,
it's been some weeks I'm looking for some new stuff to listen my music but I'm not much into technical stuff to decide alone.
In the past I've been the satisfied owner of PortaPro (and other less satisfying but even bigger phones) and now I've a pair of AKG K412p that I'm using only at home because of the leakage, I don't really like to let other people know what I'm listening. So, at the end, I'm using a pair of sony erabuds that of course are not very good.

Price Range: 25 - 50 €
Type/Design: portable headphones or in-ear monitor (iem). I've never tried IEM, what are quality differences between them and which is , quality-wise and at same cost, the best option ?
I'd prefer closed phones in case of headphones, but still I'd want them portable and possibly foldable (I really like also having cable on 1 side and possibly detachable)
Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: I've read the related post but is hard for me to say. I like basses but I like also natural and precise sound, to hear details.
Media: mainly Rock , Metal, Jazz, Classical. I listen also to a bit of electronic and hip hop (too bad I like so many genre )
Source: Now I'm using my smartphone, but I'm planning to buy soon a sansa clip+ to replace my dead ipod
Location: Italy, I've seen a lot of stuff reviewed here that's a bit hard to find in my country

Last edited by Eit; 01-19-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you read the many similar threads here on this topic? If not, you may want to browse through them.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Have you read the many similar threads here on this topic? If not, you may want to browse through them.
Of course I've read most of them before posting (in fact I've also posted according to the format specified in the sticky post).
I've seen I could go for Soundmagic E10 (I don't like E30) or Sennheiser 300cx for what concerns IEM, while I couldn't get any clear idea about headphones.
I've decided to post a new topic because I don't think others were asking exactly the same and I don't know if those 2 IEMs would fit as first experience.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM

You could post what's available in Italy and if you're apposed to importing or not, then others could help better.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
You could post what's available in Italy and if you're apposed to importing or not, then others could help better.
I've looked at the quick comparison table in the sticky post to have a reference of main producers that could fit my needs.
Amazon ships to Italy most of the ones on my budget range except for brainwavz and hippo phones (still this is only for IEMs ).
Most italian online stores have mainly sennheiser, sony, akg, koss stuff.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM

Since you stated you "like bass but also natural, precise sound with detail" in the under 50 € range you could look at the MEE A151s or the CC51s. I've not tried the CC51s but read they're good but my beaters are A151s and should fit your needs. If you can find them at a good price either through amazon or even MEE ships internationally and sometimes they have very good deals on them.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

for that price range you have a lot more options with IEMs and I love my e10. For headphones I liked my Sennheiser hd428 a lot. Also was a fan of the AKG k81dj but it may be a bit bass heavy for your taste. I am a fan of anything JVC that i have tried so far. Prodipe is french I think and the pro800 is supposed to be good. I have the Cortex 2500 and it is the same headphone with different logo and I am very pleased with it. The Koss DJ cans with the black cups look and feel great. haven't heard them though.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM

I'd also says AKG 518DJ or Meelec CC51 / Meelec A151. The first two you can get via amazon.it (~53€). The A151 should be about the same price.

If you've never used in-ears before, you should maybe rather go for the A151. They are easier on the ears, when it come to comfort, as far as I've read. More clarity, but less bass when compared to the CC51. Probably better for classic, less so for hiphop. Both are suppossed to be great for their price.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the answers.
I'm trying to see among them which one is easier to get from amazon or other shops (without paying too much for shipping ).

Still I would like to know what would you suggest between an IEM or a portable closed headphone, I know it is for sure mainly a matter of tastes but a part from different characteristics that each one may satisfy or not, I was wondering if there is any global difference in quality.
If you had to buy 1 single piece with that budget, would you get an IEM or a portable Headphone (I'm saying portable, not a full sized professional one ) ?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IEM. more versatile and portable. I have portable headphones but only use them when I don't feel like sticking something in my ear. I use IEMs 80% of the time.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM

IEM, but it is really a matter of personal preference.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Well, I'll go for IEMs

I was about to get the E10 when I noticed amazon.it has only in purple or else I'll have to get them either directly from Hong Kong from Ebay (for like half of the price and no shipping cost,and I've read around that they're not fake ) or from another store with almost 20$ shipping cost.
I've seen that on amazon.it the price difference with E30 is not much, but I really don't like the 'fitting style' of those, the don't look very comfortable to wear, am I wrong ?
Buying the MEs it's even worse...I'll probably get the E10 from Hong Kong

Last edited by Eit; 01-19-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 PM

Go for audio technica iem(s). They offer tight, punchy bass. Mids and highs are very good. They are not designed for dirty-hiphop music.