android
Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 AM

I have tried Handbreak,mediacoder,Jet audio and converted some files to AVC(H264).
Result,either the file is not supported or it is not playing well.
Exception only this thread(.avi H264).
So,I am sticking with avi(xvid+mp3) as alternate,the video size is slightly bigger but video playing fine.
Too bad no proper .MP4(H264) support.

Edit: Now it appears that J3 has problem with .mp4 container as even .mp4(xvid+aac) sometimes plays and sometimes video is blacked out.

Last edited by rohit3192; 01-18-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-19-2011, 11:18 AM

i wonder what refresh rate the j3 supports. i convert some movies with the original refresh rate of 23,976 and if play them on the j3 they judder a little bit.
but when i use as mentioned in this turorial 25 frames the movie have to speed up for exact match or the convertet movie will stutter again. am i right?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM

So far,I have encoded movies with all widely used frame rates(25,23.976,etc.)
and video playing smooth if encoded with .avi(xvid+mp3).
Using Format factory with 768 video bitrate.
I take encoded movie frame rate as default of same as source.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzgruber
i wonder what refresh rate the j3 supports. i convert some movies with the original refresh rate of 23,976 and if play them on the j3 they judder a little bit.
but when i use as mentioned in this turorial 25 frames the movie have to speed up for exact match or the convertet movie will stutter again. am i right?
If I'm remember right, when converting to different frame rates, all video converters does is copying the already existing frames, resulting in the exact same video with no to-the-eye changes. You should be safe converting the frame rate.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM

^Though I am not sure, but I keep frame rate of source to avoid sync issue.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM

SUPER v2011 .44 Version released on 21st January 2011.
Download from Here

Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
If I'm remember right, when converting to different frame rates, all video converters does is copying the already existing frames, resulting in the exact same video with no to-the-eye changes. You should be safe converting the frame rate.
To be honest, I just convert all my videos at the original frame rate. It is not essential that they be 25fps, that was just the option that I happen to have selected in the screenshot of the guide.

As far as juddering goes, I have noticed some very subtle judder with the S9, but it appears to happen whatever the frame rate of the video. I can only assume that it is something to do with the processing inside the S9/J3, and possibly the fact that H264 is not 'in theory' supported.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzgruber View Post
great tutorial! thx

i've just one problem:
when i'm coding movies with an aspect ratio of 21:9 (2.35-2.40) the cowon j3 zooms it to 16:9. is there any way to avoid this?

Several options here, but it depends on the actual video input. Assume that when you say the aspect ratio is 2.35:1 you mean that the entire size of the video is that, not that it is a 16:9 video with black bars. The distinction is important!!

If it is 2.35:1 then you can scale down the resolution to be 480x (something less than 272) which I see you discussed in a later post. This was my favourite method in the past.

Alternatively you can process the video again before going down to the J3 version and pad the top and bottom of the video with black bars to make the result 16:9. SUPER can do this (if you use FFMPEG), though I haven't yet tried. If you are backing up DVDs, then the best thing is to use something like DVDDecrypter (or equivalent) to get the VOBs, then Handbrake to make a full res .AVI or .MKV. I believe I have already mentioned this somewhere. When you get Handbrake to do the conversion, make sure all the crop values are set to zero, not Automatic!! This will ensure a 16:9 output file that contains black bars if the content is smaller. Then you can simply SUPER the video at 480x272. DONE!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 AM

got a few questions to ask. i'm thinking of getting cowon j3 but i heard that the youtube videos downloaded via keepvid are encoded in avc video format mp4, so i will need to know if i can convert them into playable modes on cowon j3 before i invest in a 32gb player.

can this be done?

and a few other questions

1. should they be converted to avi format, or another mp4 format? is there a common format that will allow both ipad and cowon j3 to play?

2, does the j3 supports only up to 480:272 video scale size? if i have larger files, i will need to downsize them but still playable after i downsize them rite?

3. does the super program allow conversion of flv to playable format for cowon j3?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Just got a j3 this week. I'm using it mostly for audio, but the videos look so great on this thing that I been putting a few on it just for kicks using this tutorial.

The videos are mostly from youtube, downloaded at the highest quality .mp4 version available for a given video (some are 720p, some 360p). Using the tutorial, some videos convert without a hitch but others either don't convert at all or only convert about a minute and 30 secs of the video.

The videos that don't convert at all usually show "cancelled" on the output status in SUPER. The videos that only partially convert don't show anything out of the ordinary in SUPER (the conversion seems to go fine), but when I open the converted video it I only end up with about half the video with the video running about 2x fast and normal audio.

I have run SUPER both with and without "Use Older Validation Procedure" checked. Sometimes a video will convert on the second try if I check (or uncheck) that.

Computer has an AMD quadcore processor running Vista 64bit. SUPER is v2011.build.48

Any help? Could this be an issue with SUPER, the computer or with the videos themselves?

Other than this, the J3, the videos I have managed to covert and this tutorial have been awesome!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:58 AM

Default J3 h.264 conversion with SUPER

Hi I haven't been here for some time. I realize that the screenshots in the sticky thread on how to convert videos to h.264 videos using SUPER are now gone for some reason. This makes it very difficult to correctly configure SUPER so that the output video is compatible with the J3. Does anyone still remember the steps/settings or have the original thread backed up or has their SUPER settings for this purpose backed up somewhere? Last time I was able to follow the instructions in that thread and get pretty good output videos so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 10-22-2011, 03:58 AM

Threads merged.

You can access the screenshots directly here: http://www.quarknet.co.uk/abi/super_tut/

No idea why they won't show up in the first post. I hope Hazza_t10 is still following this thread and will fix it (otherwise I will edit his post and upload the images someplace else).

Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM

Sorry guys, took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on with those images!

No matter, there is a NEW thread which supersedes this guide. Please check it out! I specifically DO NOT recommend SUPER as new versions are being bundled with spyware-like software.