android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Default h.264 tutorial using RipBot264 (DVD and Blu Ray!)

Introduction

Itís time for a new h.264 guide. We all know that, to be honest, SUPER is bag of crap. Iíve also become aware that it is now being bundled with a program that can be considered spyware. With this new guide though, there is no need to use SUPER again for S9 or J3 conversion. As a bonus, this new method will also work for Blu-Ray rips. Enjoy!

The first thing to state is that this guide DOES NOT cover how to rip DVDs or Blu-Rays. I believe that there is another sticky somewhere (here? Thanks Urne!) on the S9/J3 forums for ripping using DVDFab. Otherwise, well known software is DVDDecrypter and Slysoft AnyDVD HD. Iíll leave it there.

The piece of software Iíll be using is called RipBot264, which is freely available. Ripbot264 requires the installation of a few other bits, such as up-to-date FFDShow filters and AVISynth. Simply download RipBot264 and unpack it to a handy directory Ė it does not need installing. When you run it the first time it will tell you what other things it needs you to get. Dead easy! Letís get going.

Temporary Folders

Before we go about adding files, you need to consider hard drive space. Ripbot make a Temp folder which can be large, usually at least as big as the ripped disc. In older versions, RipBot would place this folder in the root of the drive letter with the most free space. BEWARE if you have external hard drives connected, this will take a long time! The new version appears to want to create it in the C: drive every time. Therefore, make sure you have enough space for the ripped disc again. It will speed things up if you can put the rip on a second hard drive.

Guide

First off, click the ĎAddí button and navigate to the folder of your ripped disc. For a DVD, just select one of the biggest .VOB files. In most cases you can actually select any of the files. For a Blu-Ray rip you will need to navigate to the BDMV/STREAM/ folder and select the biggest .m2ts file. Again, in most cases, clicking any file will do.

If you have selected a Blu-ray .m2ts, you will now see the following box:

You now have a bit of a wait whilst it merges the VOBs or de-muxes the m2ts. Donít worry, this really can take some time.

When itís finished, youíll see this:

Weíll look at the following:

When itís ready, click the small ďÖĒ box for Profile (1). If it hasnít appeared, click where it should be, sometimes this happens :P Youíll need to set this box as follows, delete any text in the box and paste in the commands below.

--profile baseline --level 3.0 --no-cabac --filter 0,0 --ref 1 --no-mixed-refs --bframes 0 --b-adapt 0 --no-weightb --weightp 0 --b-pyramid none --subme 6 --aq-mode 0 --trellis 0 --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --no-8x8dct --me hex

Make sure you set a name for your new profile before clicking OK

Next, set the Audio to FHD AAC-LC 128kbps (2)

For the Mode (3) I would use CQ, as 2-pass is excessive for a mobile player. It also takes quite a lot longer. I find that 20-22 are sensible settings for a film. Set to 22, you can expect a ~600MB file for a typical film. Setting to 20 will increase this to 750+MB.

Click the Properties box (4), and in the Size box, select PSP.iPhone 480x272. This is also the place where you need to select any subtitle tracks, if applicable. You may also want to set Crop to Automatic. I do not like to stretch the video in any circumstances so I do not select this, but itís personal preference. Click OK in the bottom right to return to the main screen. If the button is not there, aim for where it should be and it will appear.

Make sure that Normalize (5) is set to 100%, as some films are very quiet!

Finally, set the file type to .MP4 (6) and then click Done!

Youíll now be back to the job list, so providing youíre happy, click Start!

Last edited by hazza_t10; 01-22-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]