android
Old 12-24-2010, 01:40 AM

Default Possible to upgrade hard drive?

I've seen in another thread here someone had taken apart their player. In it we are able to see the model and brand of hard drive. Would it be possible or does it look likely at all that we could upgrade to a larger hard drive in the future? 160gb is a large amount of music, but with flac I am upwards of that capacity now. Itd be nice to know if i bought the player there is a chance to upgrade the hard drive in the future.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-24-2010, 03:44 AM

Let me be the first asshole to give you the expected smart ass replies:

1. Why don't you seek out the possibility of narrowing down the amount of music you'd want to carry around with you all the time instead? 160 gb is already a huge space and you cannot listen to all your music at once anyway.

2. Why don't you convert all your music to 320 kbps mp3 files instead? Human ears cannot perceive the difference between a 320 kbps mp3 file and a flac file anyway. Those who claim they hear it are all under the influence of placebo affect.

3. Why don't you consider getting an Archos 5 instead? You will only sacrifice audio quality, but you will have 500 gb of hdd space, plus the wi-fi and all the other great things Cowon X7 don't have.

4. Why don't you get a laptop with a large hdd and a superb soundcard instead? You could listen to your music while jogging if you try hard enough.

5. Why don't you get a Cowon J3 instead? 10 (or maybe 20?) 32gb sdhc cards would be enough to carry around all your Flac library. You could reserve each card for one or two letters of the alphabet or you could split your archive generically. Just too many choices! Only the total cost would be +1000 $.

6. Why don't you ask another question or better yet, ask your question on another forum. We'll definitely not reply your exact question.

Last edited by meurglys0; 12-24-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinonice View Post
I've seen in another thread here someone had taken apart their player. In it we are able to see the model and brand of hard drive. Would it be possible or does it look likely at all that we could upgrade to a larger hard drive in the future? 160gb is a large amount of music, but with flac I am upwards of that capacity now. Itd be nice to know if i bought the player there is a chance to upgrade the hard drive in the future.
I doubt we'll know until someone actually tries it. The Cowon firmware might try to format drives as 160gb or 120gb depending on model, but then you could always format the drive from a PC instead which might unlock the full capacity.

I use flac too, most of my music is encoded from CDs, flac is a very convenient and portable way of backing them up.

As for that suggestion of Archos and 'only' sacrificing sound quality - that's not a compromise, it's like buying a car without wheels because the seats are comfy.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by system11 View Post
I doubt we'll know until someone actually tries it. The Cowon firmware might try to format drives as 160gb or 120gb depending on model, but then you could always format the drive from a PC instead which might unlock the full capacity.

I use flac too, most of my music is encoded from CDs, flac is a very convenient and portable way of backing them up.

As for that suggestion of Archos and 'only' sacrificing sound quality - that's not a compromise, it's like buying a car without wheels because the seats are comfy.
I wasn't serious with any of my suggestions above... I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

I myself preferred Cowon X7 over other choices, have all my library in flac, can hear the difference between mp3 and flac etc...

Last edited by meurglys0; 12-24-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:23 PM

I actually have an archos 5 right now and its just too slow navigating. The only good thing about it is its storage. I assume navigating between folders on the cowon x7 will be better based on the videos ive seen. It would be nice to have the storage of the archos with rest of cowons stuff. I thought about a tablet but I'm only really going to use it for music so the cowon x7 makes sense. Is there any history of being able to upgrade a cowon mp3 player's hdd?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:03 AM

I know the iPod 5.5g has tons of mods available, including 240gb harddrives and adapters that'll let you fit CF cards in stead. I'm pretty sure the X7 uses the same harddrives but since I haven't even had mine for a week, I'm not gonna crack it open just yet

Old 11-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
I know the iPod 5.5g has tons of mods available, including 240gb harddrives and adapters that'll let you fit CF cards in stead. I'm pretty sure the X7 uses the same harddrives but since I haven't even had mine for a week, I'm not gonna crack it open just yet
Psst!!! Hey, kid, did you bother to see how old the last post in this thread is!!!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Psst!!! Hey, kid, did you bother to see how old the last post in this thread is!!!
Well, some (=me) might still be looking for an answer to that question, so I thought I'd share what little I knew

Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM

This is a question that I'm interested in too - I have an enormous music library (around 250gigs worth), all of which I listen to and most of that is Ogg at 160, with maybe 15-20% of it being a mixture of MP3 at 192 and above, WAV and FLAC. Lately I have been acquiring more (shared, non-official) live concerts in FLAC and that's only pushing up my storage requirements. For someone like me, 95% of the player market going flash memory only is a complete nightmare when flash memory has not yet caught up with HDD in terms of storage capacity.

Archos is just a no go for me - the newer Archos players with large storage are intended for video and just don't sound the same as the older music players. IMO, they are only one step up, in audio terms, from the iPoo.

Anyway, I'm looking at the X7 as my next player, as my X5 has recently pretty much bricked. The X5, with the Cowon firmware, could be upgraded (with some fiddling - the X5 was all fixed and soldered and even something as simple as a battery change had to be done by someone who's a dab hand with a soldering iron) to an 80gig Toshiba HDD and, if memory serves, with Rockbox it could take another make of HDD at 100gigs. Logic should dictate that the same could be done with an X7. Whether the same amount of fiddling is required, I don't know.

I can't access the iAudio forums here at work, but there's bound to be a thread on the subject and, if someone has actually managed to do it, there should be a step-by-step guide with photos.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 PM

I also have 240gb of FLAC music. I used to have an Archos 5 with all the music in it. When the X7 came out, I jumped at it and bought two. My music is in these categories: opera, piano, symphony, strings, pop, musical. I just divided the music and marked the contents on the X7. I am waiting for a 250gb Cowon. That would be a dream.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:58 AM

I think there's a very limited number of different 160gb harddrives this small, so logic dictates that the drive in the X7 is the same that's used in the 160gb iPod classic. Which again means that 240gb drives are available. Whether the X7 firmware will support these drives however, is a completely different matter. Somebody should crack open an X7 and have a look inside...

Old 12-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Specifications

Hi everyone, first post looking at getting a cowon x7 myself, would i be correct in thinking that the hdd interface is pata zif?

Old 12-06-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodjames View Post
Hi everyone, first post looking at getting a cowon x7 myself, would i be correct in thinking that the hdd interface is pata zif?
Most likely, yes.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 PM

I also have this exact same question, as I am really tempted to buy a Cowon X7, but am holding back right now.

I did a little searching, and I found two 320 GB 1.8" hard drives from Toshiba and HP. These two HDDs are both SATA drives. I have also read that the 240 GB HDD upgrade for the Ipod classic 5.5 gen made it slower than having the original 160 GB HDD, which makes me think that any HDD upgrade for the X7 would likewise make it slower, and also probably shorten its' 103 hr playback time.

What is "pata zif" and "SATA"? Is it possible to replace a pata zif HDD with a SATA HDD?

*EDIT: Does anyone know if the Cowon X7's HDD 160gb is 5mm thin or 8mm thin?

Last edited by Wind; 01-06-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 AM

SATA is SERIAL ATA and PATA is PARALLEL. Serial is the more modern one its probably going to be trickier to source something using Parallel.

Without seeing some images its not possible to tell. If someone is brave enough to take it apart or can find a good picture that shows the hard drives ports and serial numbers it should be easy enough to see if sourcing something with same dimensions and port is possible. I would imagine you should be able to upgrade it up to 500Gb which is as big as they make the really small hard drives as far as I know.

If you were really good it should even be possible to knock together an SSD with the same interface.