android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM

Default Using playlist made in MediaMonkey for a Cowon J3 on a Sansa Clip+

I have been (successfully) making playlists in MediaMonkey for a Cowon J3. I just got a Sansa Clip+. What I'd like to do is put the same playlists on both players (and if the Sansa works out okay, I'll get another one or two of them, and put the same playlists on them, too).

A couple of things I should mention:

1) It has to be MediaMonkey. No other program will let me sort the music the way I need to.

2) I've tried many different combinations of actions to get those playlists onto the Sansa. It would take hours to write them all down. None of them worked.

3) This may be impossible.

But if it isn't, I'll be mighty grateful to whoever can tell me how to do it!

Thank you!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salserucho View Post
I have been (successfully) making playlists in MediaMonkey for a Cowon J3. I just got a Sansa Clip+. What I'd like to do is put the same playlists on both players (and if the Sansa works out okay, I'll get another one or two of them, and put the same playlists on them, too).

A couple of things I should mention:

1) It has to be MediaMonkey. No other program will let me sort the music the way I need to.

2) I've tried many different combinations of actions to get those playlists onto the Sansa. It would take hours to write them all down. None of them worked.

3) This may be impossible.

But if it isn't, I'll be mighty grateful to whoever can tell me how to do it!

Thank you!
Have you at least tried the Clip+ in MSC and MTP modes?

Steve

Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 AM

Can you fix the title, I'm sure you mean Sansa where you wrote "Sensa."

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Administrator

I understand that it's sometimes frustrating to attempt to clearly detail a situation and your efforts to find a fix but not posting more details is exactly how not to allow anyone to help. We're not there and have no idea of what you're trying to accomplish or how you're setup.

A .m3u playlist is really just a text file that follows a particular format that points to files so the player knows which files to play. If the files exist on both players and the list properly points to the files on each player they each have the same playlist. The tricky part can be making sure the players each have the needed files and the file paths are correct.

For anyone to lend a hand they would need to know how you are attempting to make sure the files are present and the file paths are correct. More details are needed for anyone to know what you're doing that doesn't work. That way they might be able to help find a way to change your procedure or suggest something that works properly.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 AM

Default Using playlist made in MediaMonkey for a Cowon J3 on a Sensa Clip+

Thank you all for your responses, and please accept my apologies for the shortcomings of my original post. (Note to self: post before exhaustion and despair set in, not after.)

Steve: I did try MSC mode briefly, but most of my experiments have been with the player in Auto Detect mode. I'll try the other available modes now, and document what happens.

WalkGood: you're right, of course: I meant Sansa. I've just tried to change the title; hopefully it'll work (I've never used the advanced reply function on a forum before).

skip252: your point is well taken re: providing details. I'm going to try what I think ought to work, and record all the steps and settings, etc., I use. Here goes:

I'm going to try to make a simple playlist in MediaMonkey and put it on the Sansa Clip+.

The player is in Auto Detect USB mode. It has a 16 GB Lexar micro SDHC card in it - that is where I will work, because the internal memory is only 2GB, and I'll be needing more space than that.

Step 1. In Windows Explorer (I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3), I access the player and delete all songs and playlists on the internal memory and the SDHC card left over from earlier experiments.

Step 2. In MediaMonkey, I right-click on Playlist on the left menu, choose New Playlist, and name it Test Playlist.

Step 3. In MM library ("Music" on the left menu) I select two songs and drag them to the new playlist. I right-click the name of the playlist and choose Export M3Us/Create Playlists (in the version of MM I'm using - 4 - this item appears only because I've installed an add-on I got from this page: http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/Exp...orSubNodes.htm). I choose Export As .m3u Playlist . . .

And here I have a problem. My intention is to save the playlist to the Sansa, but when I try to navigate to the player in the Save As dialog box, it isn't there. In Windows Explorer, I can see the player listed as Sansa Clip+ 2GB, beside an icon of the player, and with External uSD Card and Internal Memory as sub-folders. But through the MM Save As dialog, there's no sign of the player.

Step 4. I try to save the new playlist to My Documents instead, thinking maybe once it's there I can drag it to the player. The save procedure seems normal, but when I look in My Documents, the playlist isn't there.

Step 5. I disconnect the player and change the USB setting to MTP.

Step 6. In MM, I try saving the playlist to the player again, as in Step 3, but the player still doesn't appear in the Save As dialog. As in Step 4, I try to save the playlist to My Documents, and the save appears to go normally, but afterwards, the playlist isn't in My Documents.

Step 7. I disconnect the player and change the USB setting to MSC.

Step 6. In MM I again try to save the playlist to the player, and this time I can see - and access - two items that weren't there before: SANSA CLIPP (F and Removable Disk (G. I select Removable Disk (because I assume that's the SDHC card) and click Save. When I look in Windows Explorer, the playlist doesn't appear in Removable Disk (G.

I'm going to stop here for now. I don't really know what else to try. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Salserucho; 01-11-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 AM

On my screen, the colons following drive letters in Step 6 appear as happy faces. No idea why; I typed colons.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Salserucho:

I can't help you with Media Monkey, but you want to stop using Autodetect (aka Autodefect). The player may switch between MSC and MTP modes depending on the phase of the moon (or some other unknown criteria).

Steve

Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Steve. I'll stick to MSC or MTP - certainly don't want to depend on the moon!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Administrator

When you're seeing a player as a drive letter it's in MSC mode. Since you're creating EXTM3U playlists on the J3 I'm guessing that's the mode it's in. Depending on the structure of the EXTM3U playlists the J3 recognizes that may make keeping the playlists synced fairly easy.

You can't send a .m3u playlist from MediaMonkey AFAIK. At least I was never able to do that. I used the files on the player to build the playlist then saved it as a EXTM3U playlist using the files that had been sent over. That makes the file/folder paths point to the actual files on the player. A working example on a Clip+ is
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:503,Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
MUSIC\Wayne Shorter\Speak No Evil (Bonus Tracks)\04 Speak No Evil.mp3
#EXTINF:359,Weather Report - Birdland
MUSIC\Weather Report\Heavy Weather\01 Birdland.mp3
#EXTINF:1534,Miles Davis - Yesternow
MUSIC\Miles Davis\A Tribute to Jack Johnson\02 Yesternow.mp3
As long as the folder/file structure is the same the files are in the same paths on each player. Then you can cut and paste that same playlist onto multiple players and each will find the files and play them.

If you were using MTP this would be really simple. All you would need to do would be to create the playlist in MediaMonkey and send it to each device. MM creates the playlist on the player and moves the needed files all as part of syncing the playlist. I'm not sure that isn't possible as things stand now, I'm not set up to test it though.

You could try using the playlist created for the J3 and sync that playlist to the Clip+. If that works then you may be able to keep things in sync by syncing the new playlist when it changes for the J3. As long as MM knows it sent a music file you shouldn't get duplicates if the same file is part of a new playlist. The progress bar gives the impression that duplicate files are going across but as long as the file is exactly the same as the one that was moved before it doesn't move the file, it just creates the references needed to make the new playlist.

Last edited by skip252; 01-12-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Many thanks, skip252. You're right that the player is in MSC mode. I will try it in MTP next week. For the moment, I'm not going to mess with either player, because I actually managed to get working playlists on both, and I don't want to lose them before Saturday, when I will be using them.

I was able to make functioning playlists thanks to your tip in your earlier message about paths. Using Notepad, I opened two playlists I'd made, one of which worked and the other of which did not, and noticed the paths were not the same. I used Search and Replace to make the paths in the latter the same as in the former, and sure enough it worked.

Thank you!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Glad it's working out for you. Now that you have the paths concept it just gets easier from here. As you see simply correcting the file paths gets things working fairly easily.

When I was keeping more than one player updated to the next I used a file sync program, Sync Toy, to keep the music folders mirrored and just created a single playlist and copy/pasted it into each player. You'll no doubt find a routine that work easily for you.

If you decide to try the MTP route let me know how it goes. I doubt I'll be using it but it would be nice to know that they didn't break all the playlist sync abilities of MediaMonkey.

Tags
clip+, j3, mediamonkey, playlists