android
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 AM

Default SGP 4.0 disassembly pictures

I took apart my SGP 4.0 and took some pictures for the curious among us. The pictures aren't great (my fault, not the camera's, as I didn't set up any proper lighting) but what they lack in quality is made up in quantity. I didn't sort them to remove duplicates or blurry pictures so you will have to wade through them to find the halfways decent ones. If you find a picture that is out of focus, please comment on it and tell me; I probably won't have much time to sort through them myself. Just as a general caution, I have dismantled many, many electronic devices over the years and have at least a modicum of knowledge on how to do so carefully. Do NOT attempt this unless you are confident in your abilities. Disassembling your SGP will most likely also void your warranty, so be careful! That said, it is one of the easiest to dismantle devices I have had the privilege to take apart, for this I applaud Samsung!

One last thing. I have already found a couple datasheets for the chips on the motherboard. However, I haven't posted the links to any of them yet. If someone else would like to do this, I'd very much appreciate it! Enjoy!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1148371...eat=directlink
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 rooted + 32 GB Samsung uSD - Samsung T10 Bright Lime Green 4GB - Sansa Clip+ Black 4GB minus screen - SanDisk DAP 512 MB (modified to take two AAs instead of one AAA) - KITSOUND KSDJ headphones - SoundMAGIC E10 IEMs

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 PM

This is awesome. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:50 PM

It is good to know that if one needed to replace the battery it is a pretty straight-forward process and doable. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM

Yes, battery replacement on 4.0 is one of its features but what about replacement on the 5.0?

Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 AM

I just finished spending the last 4 hours taking apart mine to get rid of a really annoying small speck of dust that was on the inner glass screen,its very small but my hawk eyes can't ignore it no matter what lol The inside of the 5.0 version isn't very different,it had a long rectangle shaped 2500mah battery inside it. I have previous experience with taking apart iPods and this wasn't any different,just mostly lifting things and disconnecting ribbons attached to other things,it was a pain though because of the adhesive stuff holding stuff together,my trusty iPod repairing kit helped me out alot. I don't have a camera anymore so I didn't take pictures,but at least I'm able to pop this thing open and put it back together now

Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Was the battery soldered into the device in the 5.0.Could you have removed it to replace it if you had to?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Here are some internal pics for the 5.0. These pictures are from the FCC and are public record.

http://imgur.com/a/30Jjv

As you can see, Samsung stuck the WiFi antenna at the bottom right, exactly where a right-handed person would grip it. This is why WiFi reception seem so fluctuate so greatly depending on how you hold it. Also the battery seems to be an odd shape, I don't think there is any way to replace it.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM

I'm not sure if the battery is soldered or not,it can move around but I couldn't find the end to the ribbon connected to it so it probably can't be replaced. Everything else can be replaced though.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezhacker View Post
Here are some internal pics for the 5.0. These pictures are from the FCC and are public record.

http://imgur.com/a/30Jjv

As you can see, Samsung stuck the WiFi antenna at the bottom right, exactly where a right-handed person would grip it. This is why WiFi reception seem so fluctuate so greatly depending on how you hold it.
I thought the antenna was on the top of the SGP 5. Isn't it in the manual that a user shouldn't cover the top center part of the SGP so as not to block reception?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:15 AM

That is a big battery for such a small device. They had to get it in there somehow. I wonder what they would do if sent back for service because of the battery - replace with a refurb or install a new battery? Even the non-replaceable ipod/iphone battery can be replaced by Apple. I can't see Samsung unable to do this. Otherwise what they are selling is a disposable device for over $200...

Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic View Post
I thought the antenna was on the top of the SGP 5. Isn't it in the manual that a user shouldn't cover the top center part of the SGP so as not to block reception?
It does say that on p.6, but if you look again on p.84 it says that it's for the GPS.

Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 Manual: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do.../YP-G70CWY/XAA

Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezhacker View Post
It does say that on p.6, but if you look again on p.84 it says that it's for the GPS.

Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 Manual: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do.../YP-G70CWY/XAA
Thanks, I see that now. And in the photos that you posted. I tried to view them before I posted the last message, but I kept getting an error message.

Tags
disassembly, pictures, samsung galaxy player, sgp 4.0, teardown