android
Old 12-26-2011, 10:59 AM

anyone know of software where you can select all and downsize imbedded album art ? preferrably linux native app

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't, but i'll tell u what i did which was pretty quick and painless for 16gb worth.

First I used win xp search feature for folder.jpg in my albums on my sd card. Then in the search box I used the top tables to organise via 'Size' so that the larger folder.jgs were at the top.
I then used a wee program called 'Right Click Image Convert' (by kristanix software) which integrates with windows explorer shell to resize the folder.jpgs that were over 100kb (about 50 or so files). This made it pretty easy to resize but u can use what ever method program u like.
So now i have all of my folder.jpg pics under 100kb in size but still 500x500 or 600x600 in size without any noticeable difference in quality.

Now i booted up Tag&Rename and structured the viewing pane to be in a list format so i could see every song from every album. Then i pressed ctrl+a so that i highlighted every song and pressed ctrl+F5 which Edits Tag for Selected Files. Now be careful here, any changes u make effect EVERY SONG, but all i did was tick the 'art' box top right and then click 'remove'. This then removed embedded art in every file of every album in my list. Then i went to tools and selected 'Add "folder.jpg" to file tags and this used my resized (under 100kb) folder.jpgs and embedded them into the song files.

Done. The whole process took 5-10mins for 16gb worth of files.

In order for this to work u have to have a folder for the album>songs inside and folder.jpg for that album also. This wouldnt work if u had just one folder, every song from every artist inside and heaps of folder.jpgs etc.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, Bruce, a nice tutorial for this!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
OK, fair enough. Then let me ask you this....why haven't you put it on any of your various Clips? I can understand being hesitant on the original Clips,sure..... but why not a Clip+? You've always bemoaned the database refresh, especially with a memory card inserted, which you can avoid with Rockbox.(especially now with the USB support complete).
Probably will, once the USB facility is complete and there are further Clip Zip themes. And by the way, mostly have been bemoaning the refresh only since getting a 32GB card--it's just untenable.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Probably will, once the USB facility is complete and there are further Clip Zip themes. And by the way, mostly have been bemoaning the refresh only since getting a 32GB card--it's just untenable.
While it may still be considered beta, the USB is working great on my zip, hell my 13 year old rockboxed while it was being charged out of the box and AFAIK he's not yet booted to the OF. That stated, I wouldn't push you to do it or not, after pushing lestatar and marvin I realized it's best to let peeps decided on their own

Themes are not important to me, AFAIK there's 2 or 3 but certainly not a reason for me to rockbox a player or not but to each their own madness

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As I think I mentioned above, I used to compile (including with multiple patches) and install the latest Rockbox a number of times a month, and sometimes one or more times each week. Things have been a bit too rushed as of late and I just haven't felt the need (I actually like the OF, despite some deficits) or wanted the extra doings--'tis the season for peace and relaxation. But I'll no doubt/likely be doing it in the future--certain OF issues are now getting in the way (the database time-suck refresh--up to 30 minutes of life each time--and the lower file limitation, partially defeating the purpose of upper number GBs on a 32GB microSD card).

Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
... I just haven't felt the need (I actually like the OF, despite some deficits) ... certain OF issues are now getting in the way (the database time-suck refresh--up to 30 minutes of life each time--and the lower file limitation, partially defeating the purpose of upper number GBs on a 32GB microSD card).
As I stated above, "it's best to let peeps decided on their own" and I really don't care if someone does or does not run rockbox on their DAP, so you have no issue with me bugging you. I'm only stating facts as they concern to my use and I get instant boot with around 37.5GBs of tunes so "the 30 minute db refresh" you quote isn't an issue for me. Come to think about it since USB was added I have no issues and I never see the OF, "long live rockbox!"

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wasn't feeling bugged at all--just responding. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
My guess is you have some art imbedded into the file and that art is larger than 100kb whereas the folder art is still less. I used Tag&Rename to check my art and indeed I did find the odd song or album where I had corrected the folder.jpg to being 500x500 and less than 100kb yet it still had some old art imbedded in the file. I have also noticed when using Tag&Rename that you can delete imbedded art within the file only to realise that there is MORE art still embedded (I have deleted over 3-4 arts within one file before its clean).

I would take note of what tracks are missing art and look at the tags deeply using tag&rename or some other good tagger.

Much Appreciated Bruce! Will do!
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith