android
Old 12-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Default Should I buy a Clip Zip?

OK, I admit it: I have the "sickness" of collecting players, and group therapy can help. lol. I have an original Clip, a Clip Plus, along with my other players which are several iPod hard disk players, an iPod Touch 4G, an iRiver H300, and a Cowon X7. Other than adding it to my collection, is there any valid reason to purchase one? I presently can't think of any other reason.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Speaking as one not really into album art displays, I must admit that the album art display is nice and even helpful.

But, I actually prefer the Clip+ buttons--less chance of inadvertent pressing--and I miss needed info. on the Clip Zip screen: time elapsed/remaining, and current track no./total tracks no.

I kinda agree with your final conclusion, apart from adding to your collection, your liking album art, or your wanting the latest . . . .

Old 12-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
OK, I admit it: I have the "sickness" of collecting players, and group therapy can help. lol. I have an original Clip, a Clip Plus, along with my other players which are several iPod hard disk players, an iPod Touch 4G, an iRiver H300, and a Cowon X7. Other than adding it to my collection, is there any valid reason to purchase one? I presently can't think of any other reason.
I sold my last Clip+ and bought a second Zip. All the complaints about missing track info, etc, are easily remedied by Rockbox. So I say, do it!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:59 PM

No need and you're not missing anything as you have the clip +. I only got one cause I skipped the + having too many v1s and v2s and wanted expansion slot. I couldn't see buying the + since the zip came out and I got a great deal for the 8gb and 32gb card.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
No need and you're not missing anything as you have the clip +. I only got one cause I skipped the + having too many v1s and v2s and wanted expansion slot. I couldn't see buying the + since the zip came out and I got a great deal for the 8gb and 32gb card.
Yes, I am thinking along the same lines. Maybe I'll purchase clothes instead. lol

Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yes, I am thinking along the same lines. Maybe I'll purchase clothes instead. lol
More headphones!

Old 12-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
More headphones!
Yes, I am thinking about that also.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
All I stated was what I’d do, to each their own I say ... but I’d rather have a lot of other new things than clothes, *surfboard, skateboard, scooter, spear gun, headphones, etc.*

Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:

I share your quote=>"sickness" and i own both.
If FM receiving quality &recording is important for you, go for a zip, it's a bit better (stronger,less noise both ST&mono mode). And after minutes of recording the signal gets even more weak on the clip+
You can avoid clicks on record reducing gain on 3db if using ROCKBOX

If you don't hate monochrome displays and love robust and nice touch controls i find on frontal controls a better touch on the clip+ (try to touch both before buying)
but volume control touch is nicer on the zip (Obviously all my subjetive P.O.V)

Using 3 different mid range sennheisers ,sound is the same with flat eq ,and both
work cool with rocbox.Battery life&volume is also the same (don't forget NOT choosing europe as region to avoid vol castration)

The zip has rds on fm but some stations' RDS info dissapear compared to my nokia phone & car radio
Clip+ display is 128 * 64 and zip's 96*96 so you miss some horizontal space on the zip but get less need of vertical scrolling...

Maybe the clip is a bit more robust/durable on the zip..(just an impresion)
After 2 months of zip I use the clip+ less and less, and the zip more,and i still love a lot the fuzev2 (not the crappy fuze+) you miss the rear clip but get a 1.9inch display and about 21hours of batt life vs 14-15h on zip

And don't forget to add rockbox on any of them!!! ;-)

Choose yourself...
: fuze v2, clip+, clipzip,LG: mffm15, mffm33, Treckstor ibeatcenso and my car's one!

Last edited by cowoniriver; 12-26-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: rockbox

Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well I'm now up to a Clip Zip, Clip+, 2 Clips, and a Fuze. Plus a Zen Stone, and 2 Samsung YP-Z5 players. All have been used at some point this year. Obviously some more than others. And I just got the Zip for Xmas, so it's barely been used.

And you're asking me for advice????

Of course, I say get one. It's cheaper than a new camera!!! (Another thing I collect - currently have six digital cameras and a camcorder.)

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 01-03-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
And you're asking me for advice????
lol, you mean like asking an alcoholic if it's OK to take one more drink?

Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
As much as I would like a drink, it's still 6 AM here so I'd rather go with fresh coffee

Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 AM
Redneck Moderator

Quote:
... Yes!

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 PM

I'm the same way with collecting media players (namely iPods :h noes!!: so I currently have about 10 media players, 6 which are iPods (mostly of the classic variety because there isn't really a better player that offers such capacity anymore), 2 clip+s, 1 fuze+ and 1 zune HD.

I personally am considering getting one on the simple basis of AAC support, I hate having to trans-code AAC files from iTunes to MP3 to get it to run on my current Clip+. Not just because its a pain to do the converting all the time but you also lose quality this way.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Redneck Moderator

rockbox on the clip supports aac doesn't it?

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
rockbox on the clip supports aac doesn't it?
Yes, it does.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Administrator

If FuzinEvolution want's to use their iTunes tracks they'll need Rockbox. The AAC encoder in the OF chokes on AAC files if they're too long in my experience.

The last firmware update fixed the distortion on AAC files at the iTunes 256 kbps bitrate but didn't fix the failure to play longer files. Maybe in a future firmware update. It seems the hardware can handle them, they play fine in Rockbox.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If FuzinEvolution want's to use their iTunes tracks they'll need Rockbox. The AAC encoder in the OF chokes on AAC files if they're too long in my experience.

The last firmware update fixed the distortion on AAC files at the iTunes 256 kbps bitrate but didn't fix the failure to play longer files. Maybe in a future firmware update. It seems the hardware can handle them, they play fine in Rockbox.
I've never even looked at Rockbox to tell you the truth, since I have two clip +s I should try it out. Thanks, didn't know it supported AAC!

Honestly wished I never started purchasing from the iTunes Store, its one of the reasons I'm having a hard time getting off the iPods because my library there is so well established. I try to get all my music from Amazon now.