android
Old 11-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Default Very bad video quality !

I have a problem with my video quality.It's bad,very bad,I remember that when I watched first time on j3,the video was very good, now its a disaster!

Using SUPER ,with the help of the sticky thread on this forum

I attached samples and I'll specify movie details(the original movie are high quality) :

Captain America

Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : Baseline@L2.2 Format settings, CABAC : No Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame Codec ID : H264 Duration : 2h 4mn Bit rate : 651 Kbps Width : 480 pixels Height : 272 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Transformers Dark of the Moon

Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : Baseline@L2.2 Format settings, CABAC : No Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame Codec ID : H264 Duration : 2h 34mn Bit rate : 258 Kbps Width : 480 pixels Height : 272 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Pirates Of The Caribbean On Stranger Tides

Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : Baseline@L2.2 Format settings, CABAC : No Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=24 Codec ID : H264 Duration : 1h 8mn Bit rate : 630 Kbps Width : 480 pixels Height : 272 pixels Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1 Frame rate : 23.976 fps Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.201 Stream size : 308 MiB (73%) Writing library : SUPER(C) by eRightSoft
WALL-E

ID : 0 Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : Baseline@L2.2 Format settings, CABAC : No Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame Codec ID : H264 Duration : 1h 38mn Bit rate : 634 Kbps Width : 480 pixels Height : 272 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 23.976 fps Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.202 Stream size : 445 MiB (66%) Writing library : x264 H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec / created.by.SUPER(C).eRightSoftWhat is wrong?
Bitrate too low?
Or it is because of some of my UI? I seriously doubt it

Last edited by skip252; 11-14-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Thank you for the cleanup

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2011, 12:41 PM

What exactly is the problem?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
What exactly is the problem?
Failed at attacking those pics,ended creating double topics(edited first comment)

Old 11-14-2011, 03:32 PM

If I'm interpreting your screenshots and question correctly, you seem to be asking why the video clips came out "horizontally squeezed". Is that right?

I haven't done what you've done, so can't speak from firsthand experience about the instructions on this forum that you followed. But if you start with a super-widescreen video (e.g. 2.35:1 "program aspect ratio", as these appear to be) and you want to present them in a 480x272 screen (i.e. 16:9 "display aspect ratio") you either (a) trim the right and left sides and thus lose program content, or (b) "letterbox" the program which will show black bars on top and bottom but retain the 2.35:1 aspect ratio of the slimmer rectangle shown vertically centered in the 16:9 screen area, or (c) horizontally squeeze the width but retain the full vertical height and present the definitely distorted results full-screen horizontally and vertically in the 16:9 screen area.

Your results look like (c) to me.

Only if you choose (b) as your target from the process will you retain original 2.35:1 aspect ratio of the resulting rectangular image presented, though with black bars on top and bottom and thus an overall reduced apparent size of the video. But there's nothing else you can expect if you want (b).

Note that (b) is also how 16:9 HDTV programs appear if (a) you view the 480i 4:3 standard definition channel version on a 4:3 standard definition screen, and (b) the content provider "letterboxed" the 16:9 source program aspect ratio down to 4:3 display aspect ratio. Or, you get the same visual results if you view the 16:9 program from the HDTV channel and watch it on a 4:3 standard definition screen by virtue of some video processor, where the processor is set to "4:3 letterbox". The results retain the true normal width and aspect ratio of things seen in the image, but you have blackbars on top and bottom and the overall size of everything seems smaller... but it's unavoidable since your 4:3 screen is just wrong for a 16:9 program.

Same with trying to view 2.35:1 source on a 16:9 screen, or in your case re-making a 2.35:1 video down to a 16:9 video (480x272) for display on the J3. It just cannot be done and retain original aspect ratio without some compromise somewhere on the display side, because the two aspect ratios are not the same.

Did you have some other expectations?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Thx for the clarification!

Well,yes I have other expectations,16:9 ration is bad as a 2 hour+ movie viewer

I think I will use my J3 only to watch The Simpsons and documentaries from History Nat Geo. Discovery etc.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteest View Post
Thx for the clarification!

Well,yes I have other expectations,16:9 ration is bad as a 2 hour+ movie viewer

I think I will use my J3 only to watch The Simpsons and documentaries from History Nat Geo. Discovery etc.
It's not the "2 hour+ movie" that's the problem, but rather the fact that these big blockbusters are often 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

So as with any similar desire to view an image that has one aspect ratio (called "program aspect ratio") on a display screen that has a different aspect ratio (called "display aspect ratio"), something's just gotta give somewhere.

You simply must make a compromise, as it is physically impossible to do what you want without either (a) having black bars somewhere (on left/right or top/bottom) but still retaining the original rectangular proportions and aspect ratio, or (b) chopping off some of the left/right side of the image and thus losing some of the original picture information but at least filling your display screen completely with whatever image remains after the "crop", or (c) "horizontal squeeze" which distorts everything but allows full-screen display, although it is obviously the LEAST APPEALING solution to any video watcher.

There's just no other way to make this happen, if you don't also have a 2.35:1 display screen. And as I explained, it's the same for wanting to view 16:9 content (HDTV) on a 4:3 standard definition screen. Same pair of choices.

The J3's 16:9 screen is therefore perfectly usable for watching 16:9 HDTV content, or for watching 4:3 SD content (which will appear with black bars on left/right but the centered 4:3 image will retain its original 4:3 OAR).

Just not for more extreme rectangular aspect ratios, unless you're willing to "letterbox" them and view with black bars on top/bottom, which necessarily makes them smaller to look at in that "rectangular slice" (although all original image information is preserved as is the original aspect ratio).

Old 12-29-2011, 03:35 PM

I agree with DSperber, the stretching of the video is almost certainly the problem. Copied from the guide:

6) Resolution and aspect ratio. You will need to make some intelligent choice about resolution of the output video. As stated earlier, I have not had any success with videos larger than 480x272. The main factor in choosing a resolution should be the aspect ratio of the input video. I make a particular effort to maintain this, as otherwise the squashed output can look terrible on the S9!

If the input video is 16:9 then output should be 480x272. This also goes for files where the actual content is some other ratio, but the file includes the 'black bars' and the overall aspect is 16:9 (typical for DVDs). When ripping DVDs for the S9, it is sensible not to crop these black bars, as it makes life easier at this stage.

For other aspect ratios, I divide the input width by input height to give you the ratio. Divide 480 by this value to give you the height to use on the S9. Use a custom aspect ratio by clicking "More" on the "Video Scale Size" region at the top of SUPER, and enter the width as 480 and the height as your calculated value.

So if the film is in 2.35:1 you would set the encode to 480x204 or ideally 480x208 so the the resolution is a factor of 16 (sometimes required, or speeds up the encode). The video will now be the correct aspect ratio if you wanted to stretch the video to fill the screen, there is an option on the J3/S9 to do this on the fly, you do not need to do it in the encode.