android
Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Shure "olives" VS Comply foams?

anybody used both that can compare? I have a few sets of Shure olives that I use all the time and was curious of the difference.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I can stretch the olives to fit about anything but it takes some work and a fine tip set of needle nose. they stretch a surprising amount. but that is one of my problems...they don't naturally fit many sets.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I did some reading on head-fi. The Olives are more durable and denser than Comply. Comply is said to be more comfortable.

http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?se...ives+vs+Comply

Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Comply tips are superbly comfortable (IMO easily the most comfortable universal tips) but they arent very durable. I'd say that even with very careful usage and excessive care, a single pair will become unusable after around 3 months or so. If you are willing to pay this kind of money for comfort you might want to invest in them.

They only fit the specific models of IEMs that are mentioned on their website. In my experience, it is rather difficult to get them onto the IEMs and it requires a lot of force. This is true at least for the Jays Q-Jays, the Phonak Audeo PFE 112 and the Sennheiser IE8, since these are the IEMs I personally tried using Comply foam tips with. I even managed to damage the IE8 with the tips (mostly due to a design flaw in the IE8 - the nozzles are glued onto the chambers, which is rather stupid) so this should give you an idea how difficult they usually are to attach.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:02 PM

Seems like we didn't have the same experience at all, Jupitreas.

1) I posted about that here and there, but Comply foams can last very long if you choose the right size and they can be washed at least twice to remove earwax and dust. I would just avoid the cheap S400 series, they're cheap but too porous, so they get wasted too fast.
For size, I usually choose one size lower than I would use for silicon tips (M Comply for L silicon, S Comply for M silicon, you'd need jumbo ears to use large Comply foams, they're huge). For people with very small ear canals, even the S Comply may feel too big.
If you have difficulties inserting Comply foams, it means they're too big and because you will have to press them hard to insert them, they'll get mechanically destroyed much faster.
You shouldn't need to compress Comply foams much to be able to insert them.

I have been using medium T400, Ts400 and Ts500 for 5 to 12 months without EVER changing them. I washed them once, twice for the T400, and they still don't show a single crack.

2) Shure olives are much harder, with slower memory compared to Comply foams, and have an external slick layer to prevent earwax absorption. It makes them more resilient to abuse even if highly compressed.
Comfortwise, they 're good but you can still feel them in your ear while Comply foams are completely forgotten after 2 minutes.
And there is one thing that happens to me then I removed Shure Olives from my ears: I get a burning sensation which last about 10 seconds and then disappear. Nothing serious but a bit annoying.

3) No issue whatsoever to fit Comply foams on an IE8. Comply advises for T500/Ts500/Tx500, but I could even fit T400/Ts400 on the IE8 despite their slightly smaller bore. Didn't even use pliers.
Contrary to what people think, Comply does not produce "model-specific" foams, they mostly sell foams with 4 bore sizes:

* for small nozzles: the 100 series (T/Ts/Tx)
* for medium nozzles: the 200 series (T/Ts/Tx)
* for large nozzles: the 400 series (T/Ts/Tx)
* for very large nozzles: the 500 series (T/Ts/Tx)

On top of that, you have S400 which is a colored tip cheaper than T400, and P tips, which are designed for more isolation (but are insanely long).

I personnaly recommend Ts tips, the spherical ones. They're the easiest to fit and don't modify the sound at all. T and Tx affect sound a bit more (usually small loss in details and more bass, which is not always welcome).

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 12-20-2011, 04:11 PM

@tienbasse

Well, I still think Comply tips are superbly comfortable so no disagreement there. As for the other issues, perhaps it might be due to how much wax our ears produce. Mine might produce more and this is why the tips might have a shorter life-span for me...

As for the IE8 issue, I am not really the only one who has had this problem. It has been documented numerous times over at Head-Fi.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post
And there is one thing that happens to me then I removed Shure Olives from my ears: I get a burning sensation which last about 10 seconds and then disappear. Nothing serious but a bit annoying.
I get that too. Its odd but not a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
As for the other issues, perhaps it might be due to how much wax our ears produce. Mine might produce more and this is why the tips might have a shorter life-span for me...
this is a concern for me...from talking to others I think I have medium to high wax production. Still, the comfort comments have me really wanting to check out the Complys because I have rather sensitive ears but love IEMs.

One last question...is the isolation still good on the comply's?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Tienbasse knows his stuff; he's probably the most well-informed person I've ever seen on earphone tips!

To answer IDvsEGO's questions, Comply Foam Tips are great with noise isolation

Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post
Contrary to what people think, Comply does not produce "model-specific" foams
They do. T130 for Phonak Audeo and T140 for Apple In-Ear.

Ad rem - I tried Comply foams and I wasn't very impressed. I mean, they're OK, but not worth the cost (and maintenance) for me. I prefer HED16 silicone tips. They're much more 'user-friendly' and the seal is on par with foams (again - for me).

Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
Mine might produce more and this is why the tips might have a shorter life-span for me...
Mines are just dirty all the time, but washing my tips (not just Comply) with baby soap + warm water every 3-4 months just does the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerebron View Post
They do. T130 for Phonak Audeo and T140 for Apple In-Ear.
I stand corrected. I guess you can't avoid producing accessories for Apple products if you want to make a name out of the audiophile small world.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
anybody used both that can compare? I have a few sets of Shure olives that I use all the time and was curious of the difference.
IDvsEGO, what IEMs do you have?

Also, does anyone know if these would work with the PFEs in any way? I'm open to modding them if needed.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a couple of random sets but my primary use set is the Soundmagic E10.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's also the Monster SuperTip tips that come in all shapes and sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-S.../dp/B003TFEHMA

Old 03-25-2013, 04:27 PM

I have both (Shure SE215 and Comply Tx400 on UE MetroFi 220)and my opinion is pretty much the same as tienbasse.

The Shure are harder and slower to get their original shape back and seal the ear canal. The Comply can be washed to last longer, but eventually the foam breaks down.

One thing I could add is that the medium size of Shure is almost the same as the small size of Comply (I use small size for Comply, but the small size of Shure is too small for my ear canal).