android
Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Help Random Play Conundrum

Hello Peeps
Had my J3 about 4 days now. I used to be a Sony diehard but since the volume capping I've now gone over to Cowon.
So far I'm impressed by the sound quality, however.....

I cannot get my J3 to play random tracks from all the folders.
I've set the device up according to the manual i.e.
Tracks in the designated boundary will be played only once;
Music files will be played in random order;
All music files in COWON J3 will be played;

The only problem is 'IT DON'T WORK!'
All I get is random tracks played from a single folder.
I contacted Cowon Q&A and they advised me to Format the J3 and load the latest firmware and then re-load the music files.
I've done all this and it still wont play tracks at random.
I'm getting a tad hacked off now.
Can anyone help?

PS. I can't get my head around the very odd way to getting back to the main screen!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active8 View Post
I cannot get my J3 to play random tracks from all the folders.
I've set the device up according to the manual i.e.
Tracks in the designated boundary will be played only once;
Music files will be played in random order;
All music files in COWON J3 will be played;

The only problem is 'IT DON'T WORK!'
All I get is random tracks played from a single folder.

Can anyone help?
Please see this post of mine, in the iaudiophile forum, explaining how ALL works (or doesn't work) depending on how you start the browse.

Essentially...

If you browse "logically" by [Artists] or [Albums] then ALL is treated like FOLDER, and the random selection of the next track to be played will still be within the same album folder.

If instead you browse "physically" by [Folders], now ALL or FOLDER actually do work as expected. If FOLDER is in effect then the random selection of the next track to be played will still be within the same folder. However if ALL is in effect then the random selection of the next track to be played will truly be from ANY folder (i.e. from any artist, from any album, and either on internal storage or external storage).

Furthermore, I believe that if ALL+SEQUENTIAL is in effect, the browse will continue from the last track of the last folder on internal storage up to the first track of the first folder on external storage.

The "physical" sequence is purely alphabetical, by folder name and track name.

If you want to browse "logically" and also select random tracks from anywhere on the J3 (internal or external storage) then you can set up for "random" mode and browse Library -> [Songs]. This knows no boundaries.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 PM

You saint!

It's easy when you know how

You have made me one happy bunny.

Thank you!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active8 View Post
You saint!

It's easy when you know how

You have made me one happy bunny.

Thank you!
Glad to be of service. Welcome to the wonderful world of the J3 user community.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM

One more suggestion you might consider...

The stock Cowon "factory" user interface for the J3 (i.e. main menu varieties 1-3, browser interface, and music interface) is a bit feature-limited, to say the least. I myself have (or had) settled on the main menu #3 (Smart Widget), because I like the way it looks and how it can be customized.

However there are alternative so-called UCI's (written in Flash by J3 users who are also programmers), which are REPLACEMENTS for the stock Cowon interface functionality components. In general these are slicker, faster, better, and more feature-rich than the corresponding Cowon versions. They greatly increase the enjoyability and usability of your J3.

Installation is as simple as downloading the developer's ZIP file for the UCI replacement, and un-zipping its contents into the \System\Flash UI folder on internal storage of the J3. Uninstall (if you don't like it) is nothing more than deleting those same folder/files from \System\Flash UI that you placed there in the first place.

If you do "uninstall" a UCI after trying one out that you don't like, you will simply immediately revert back to the Cowon version the next re-boot of the J3. So these UCI replacements are "soft", not "hard". You can try out whatever you want that you find, with no concern.

There's a whole sub-forum here on ABI for UCI discussions.

And there's a corresponding sub-forum on iaudiofile.net where you can find similar products available and discusions about them.

I HIGHLY recommend a set of UCI's from a developer named Kizune:

(a) main menu UCI - Lynx

(b) browser UCI - Leaf

(c) music UCI - Sense

Try them... you'll like them, I'm positive!

In particular, Leaf (browser) contains a very powerful and useful simple/advanced "search" capability that is not present in Cowon's browser. This capability includes both (a) quick and simple first-letter "instant jump-to" in any list, eliminating the need to use your finger and the scrollbar to spin down to the first item in the list starting with that letter, and (b) more sophisticated keyboard-entry search argument to find items with matching full/partial character strings in the currently displayed list.

Try them... you'll like them, I'm positive.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Christmas sure has come early for me.
I'll have a play with the UCI's over the holidays.
Cheers ol' bean for the tips.

I'm soo pleased to have found this site.

Tags
cowon j3