android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Xtra / Touch

Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Creative MediaSource won't recognize my new 60GB Xtra (an upgrade)

A few years ago, I bought the Creative Zen XTra 30GB. A couple years later, I upgraded to the 40GB version of Zen XTra and had no problem transferring my existing playlists into the new unit (using Creative MediaSource). I ran out of space again, so I just bought a 60GB Zen XTra (same exact thing but twice the original size). And I bought this MOSTLY because I've created over 200 playlists over the years (which, added up, took weeks to create), and I don't want to buy an iPod and spend WEEKS creating those same playlists again from scratch.) The problem: Though I can drag mp3s from my computer into the 60GB Zen XTra through Windows Explorer (and they play fine), Creative MediaSource DOES NOT recognize my new player (even though it's virtually the same as the 40GB and 30TB Zen XTras I previously bought!) As such, I can't drag the playlists into my new Zen XTra. I'm thinking I'll have to return this because if I have to spend weeks creating those same playlists from scratch, I might as well buy an iPod and have a much smaller-sized unit. But before doing that, is there a fairly simple way I can get Creative MediaSource to recognize my 60GB Zen XTra? I may have had to get help from Creative to get my 40GB Zen to be recognized, but surely they won't help me now, as it's been years since this has been a "supported" model. I should also add that I'm not really tech-savvy so please explain in detail. (Also, I don't want to lose my existing Creative MediaSource that's working properly for my 40GB and 30GB units - in case I'll have to live with only those two units - and I don't want to lose those existing playlists.)

Last edited by EdisonLite; 12-13-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: clarification

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Need some specific info. What version of Windows,what version of WMP in installed, what firmware version is on the player?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Default versions I have

version of Windows - XP vers 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647: Service pack 3)
version of WMP installed - Vers 9.00.00.4510
firmware version on the player: Version 2.10.03 (I assume this is the firmware version.)

I'd prefer to upgrade in a way that Creative MediaSource Organizer still recognizes my 40GB and 30GB players, if possible.

I also checked the following: On the Creative Zen support page, it would allow me to "upgrade" to these firmwares:

2.10.03 (PlaysForSure Firmware) - this seems to be the exact version already installed
1.20.08 (Firmware Update Version)

So, naturally, my next thought was - what firmwares are installed on my 2 Zen XTras that are already being recognized by CMS Organizer. And they are:

1.03.02 (40 GB player)
1.20.08 (30 GB player)

Since I want CMS Organizer to still recognize my old players after all this, it seems to me that changing the Firmware on the new 60GB unit (which has PlaysForSure) to one of the other two firmwares already on my old units - is the best option - rather than upgrading my "Creative MediaSource software" or a Driver to something newer. Luckily, the Creative website still offers the 1.20.08 version which clearly works with my 30 GB player.

So would one solution be to get the 1.20.08 firmware (from the Creative site) into my 60GB player - and how do I do that exactly? Do I need to delete the firmware on the player first? Or do you have a better idea? I'm a novice and not tech-savvy! Thanks for any help!!

Last edited by EdisonLite; 12-13-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 AM

The Plays for sure firmware means the player is MTP, where as the other two smaller players will be MSC. I think WMP 10 had MTP support but I would search to check this. I remember with the Zen Micro once it had been upgraded to plays for sure FW it couldn't be changed back to the earlier FW. Not sure if the same is true for the Xtra.

However, I would think that 60GB is not recognized because your PC does not have MTP drivers from WMP 10 or 11. I know I have no issues with my wifes old Micro with PLAYS FOR SURE on an Vista PC with WMP 11 and CMS. However, unfortunately I don't know if updating WMP will affect the other players. Sorry

Old 12-14-2011, 05:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to install the Plays For Sure plug-in for MediaSource. BTW DO NOT ATTEMPT to install the older firmware on the player. The PFS firmware (2.10.03) is the updated one & you CAN NOT go back to any versions that start with the number 1

Last edited by coachop94; 12-14-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Coach, I'm not too tech-savvy -- how exactly do I install the Plays For Sure plug-in for MediaSource, and will this make my other two Zen Xtras unrecognizable by CMS?

Incidentally, I have BOTH these MediaSource versions installed on my computer:

Creative MediaSource Organizer Version 3.30.21
Creative MediaSource 5 Version 5.10.38

But when I open either, neither one recognizes the new player.

Also, once installed, will my 200+ existing playlists still be showing in (what I guess will be) the new MediaSource, and still be draggable into the new Xtra?

Last edited by EdisonLite; 12-14-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You download the files from http://support.creative.com/download...ownloadId=9839 & install. Yes, your other players will still work. The 60 GB one is the player that needs the plug-in that is why CMS does not "see" it. This plug-in is for CMS5

Old 12-16-2011, 02:50 AM

Coach, I'd like to get your opinion. Before I heard back from you, I reached someone at Creative who was willing to talk to me despite the fact I was calling about an unsupported, deleted product. He said the only way to get CMS5 to recognize my 60GB Xtra (with the PlaysForSure firmware) is to do either of these things:

*upgrade from my WMP 9 to WMP 11
*download the PlaysForSure plug-in (the same thing you suggested)
(or do both if neither one by itself does the trick)

But he said doing any of those will cause CMS to NOT recognize the older players (as they have version 1 firmware). He also said there's no guarantees and that I could lose the playlists and have none of the players recognized by CMS.

Does this sound right?

(He also said that the PlaysForSure plug-in was mostly designed for users with WMP 10 because they were getting shaky results, but that all was fixed by the time WMP 11 came along and that WMP 11 users really didn't need that plug-in that the WMP 10 users needed.)

I guess I'll take the plunge and do one or both of the suggestions, as I really want a working 60GB player that's recognized. And I guess I'll be ok with the older players not being recognized - as long as the new one is. I'd just hate to have none working and my 200 playlists useless. (And in that case, maybe I could go back to WMP9 and uninstall PlaysForSure, and the old players would work again with my CMS5 or CMS3 (?)

Do you think I should try the WMP 11 upgrade first? or PlaysForSure plug-in first? I guess I want to start with the option that would cause the least problems . Thanks again, Coach!

P.S. FYI -He did say there was a complicated way to get all 3 players recognized, but again, no guarantees. He said to upgrade my old players to the version 2 firmware (PlaysForSure) and that I'd lose all the mp3s and playlists in the player (I'm ok with that - they're on my computer), BUT in order to do all this, I'd have to have the Windows XP with Service Pack 2, not 3 (which I currently have). So I'd downgrade to ServicePack 2, transfer the PlaysForSure 2 firmware into the old players, keep WMP 9, or if this approach failed, then upgrade to WMP 10 but not 11. And all 3 would be detected. (And I can't recall if I was supposed to upgrade to Service Pack 3 again once the old players had the PlaysForSure fw in them.) Sounds very convoluted and confusing, so I think I'll skip this but that's what he said was the only way to accomplish all 3 being recognized!

Last edited by EdisonLite; 12-16-2011 at 03:08 AM.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just install the PFS plug-in see how that goes. The older players should still work with CMS3. The plug-in is for CMS5. If you install WMP use 10 not 11. You should not have to downgrade to Service Pack 2. I have both CMS 3 & 5 on my XP comp. My older players work & are seen by CMS 3. I have 2 Zen NX players that don't have PFS firmwares.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 AM

Update. I hope Coach or someone can help. I installed Plays For Sure plug-in for CMS 5. CMS 5 now recognizes the 60 GB player. (And btw, I previously transferred the mp3s in with Windows Explorer, no problem). But now, when I dragged a playlist into the player using CMS 5, some songs transferred OK and others said Error. The "error" mp3s did not have their proper, current locations notated in the playlist. (I had moved all my mp3s from my C drive to an external F drive some years ago, after making the playlists).

So when I now try to drag the playlists in, it can't locate the files that have moved and won't add those entries into the playlist I'm making in the player. Strangely, some entries on the CMS playlists seem to have been updated themselves (without my doing it) because they now have their proper new locations. Other entries have old, wrong locations, so I guess CMS did some updating on its own.

Anyway, I'd like CMS to seek out and find the new locations of those mp3s (the folders where I moved them to) and update the playlists accordingly. Any way to accomplish this?

UPDATE: I was just looking in tools in CMS and found "Media Sniffer". It says it monitors the changes (movements, deletions, additions) of media files in my computer and automatically updates the PC Music Library database to resolve or prevent broken links. This seems like it could do the trick, but I'm not clear of exactly what to do. Basically, I want all the wrong, broken links in the playlists to be updated to their present location (i.e. this would be MOVEMENTS). But when I check off the Media Sniffer box, it asks:

Upon detection of new files:
*Always ask whether to add files into the library
*Add files into library without asking
*Ask when file does not contain artist, album or genre info

I don't necessarily want it to add ANY files it discovers into the library (I'm a songwriter and have all sorts of work-in-progress mp3s that I don't want to be added to my Music Library). I just want MOVEMENTS of existing entries in the library to be noticed and fixed.

Secondly, it then asks for folders to monitor. Do I add every old wrong folder, or every new correct folder (or both)? There are a lot of folders in question -- and it says "Your computer performance may be affected if too many folders are being monitored" so I only want to add the ones I must.

So what do I do exactly? Thanks for any help (and taking the time to read all this!)

BTW, in CMS 3, when I try to connect my 40 GB and 30 GB units now, they are unrecognized. I can live with this if I can just get CMS 5 to properly transfer all the songs in the playlists.

Last edited by EdisonLite; 12-17-2011 at 03:31 PM.