android
Old 06-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Default Anyone got the ATH-ESW9?

Hi all, long time no see!

I've heard some great things about this beauty woody, could anyone who owns them clarify this?

I'll be using them around and about the house, taking them with me on journeys and wearing them out and about town.

I listen to alternative music, mainly - massive attack, radiohead, grizzly bear, the cranberries, and some random jazz compilations and such.

I dont own an amp at this current moment in space and time but I may purchase an E7 or something in the future if necessary.

So basically, do they suit my requirements and/or are there better alternatives out there for around the same (or cheaper!) price?

Thanks forum,

James

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Anyone?

Old 06-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I was hunting for them for awhile, were quite hard to find for a decent price, but ultimately the reason I didn't get them was that they just don't isolate enough in a moderately loud environment. I never got to try them in a quiet setting, the most quiet setting I tried them in was the Jaben store in Singapore, so yeah, not ideal. Maybe in a quiet room you can appreciate their sound signature more.

As for alternatives... Well I liked my TMA-1 more from the get go then I ever did like the ESW9 when I got to try them. They are plastic, but in my opinion share the same kind of unique looks with their monolithic black and no logos, as far as fashion statements go- I think its better I didn't go with a set of wooden headphones ;P I havn't seen any other wooden portable headphones, so they are one of a kind in that regard, but I guess that speaks more to their flaws then anything else.

Another thing to note is- even if you see these for a nice price, the chance that they are fake seems to be pretty high. Although if you just want wooden headphones, even the fakes actually appear to use wood.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the reply,

Ive tried the TMA-1's but they just dont have enough clamping force on my head, they always slip off when moving around. Im not really obliged to try the HD25-1ii's either because i fear they will be rather piercing/sibilant and not suit the music I listen to.

The warm coloured sound of the ESW9 is more suited to my music taste, the only problem, as you mentioned, was the fact that they do not have very good isolation. Some people find it adequate or to have good isolation, others find it has no isolation.

As a fashion statement, no, the ESW9's arent particularily fashionable but boy, they do look awesome.

I've seen them for around $200 new (legit) and $160 second hand. Is that a good price for them?

I really havent seen any other alternatives... but Im also worried about the isolation and durability issues.

Its a tricky one.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1 View Post
... but Im also worried about the isolation and durability issues.
I wouldn’t worry much about durability; they appeared to have great build quality when I checked them out. Although wood does scratch and if you tend to be rough on things that might be an issue. Isolation is a different story and very poor IMHO, I would say this is because they are supra-aural headphones. It bothers me to have pads touching or sitting on my ears and they do allow in ambient noise on my head. It’s been a real long time since I tested them and opted not to buy them so I won’t comment on the sound quality per say but I do remember that I didn't find the sound fun/exciting and I can’t imagine they would do much for your chosen genre of alternative music. Although I do agree with what’s been said, they certainly look beautiful, unfortunately that doesn't add to my listening experience.

*naturally your mileage may very ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I wouldn’t worry much about durability; they appeared to have great build quality when I checked them out. Although wood does scratch and if you tend to be rough on things that might be an issue. Isolation is a different story and very poor IMHO, I would say this is because they are supra-aural headphones. It bothers me to have pads touching or sitting on my ears and they do allow in ambient noise on my head. It’s been a real long time since I tested them and opted not to buy them so I won’t comment on the sound quality per say but I do remember that I didn't find the sound fun/exciting and I can’t imagine they would do much for your chosen genre of alternative music. Although I do agree with what’s been said, they certainly look beautiful, unfortunately that doesn't add to my listening experience.

*naturally your mileage may very ...
Well thank you for clearing up the durability query. I dont particularily mind supra-aural, unless they are really uncomfortable, and its better for me to have something smaller and more portable. I've read around and I've heard people say that even though it doesnt have much PRaT its a very fun sounding 'phone. Some one mentioned that the ESW9 and the ES7 are the most 'fun sounding headphones I've ever heard', Im not sure if this is just misjudgement or 'each to his own' kind of thing. And yes, aesthetics don't add to the listening experience but they sure do raise a few eyebrows and turn a few heads.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Since you don’t mind supra-aural you’ll be fine as the padding is very soft and in general I believe most wouldn’t find them uncomfortable. But there’s no getting around isolation or not, but I guess it depends on where you’d be using them. As far as the “better looking,” that might be hard to come by as I’m sure they’d turn heads as you say, although I don’t need to impress anyone other than my ears.

BTW I’m not here to talk you out of anything, only voicing my opinion because you asked. As far as being “the most fun sounding headphones I’ve ever heard” is only a line of pure hype IMHO. The day I tested them, they were laying next to a pair of fugly SRH840s and guess which pair I tried first, yea the ATH-ESW9 and guess which one’s I found more fun to listen to, the SRH840s by far!!! I too really wanted to own the ATH-ESW9 till that day I tried them, guess I got over the cool looks fairly fast. Regardless, you may love them and if you end up buying them by all means post back your impressions or a review, we’d love to read it

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Banned

I received my pair of ESW9s from Headroom the other day and I'm blown away by their beauty, comfort and sound. Simply incredible.

As the only ones I could find directly available in UK appeared so cheap they must be fakes (lots of those out there, after all), I decided to import them from Headroom - http://www.headphone.com/headphones/...-ath-esw9a.php - who are authorised AT dealer. With the import duties, total cost came to somewhere in region of £250. I consider that a bargain for what they offer, and I like the fact that in a London full of shiny bling like the Beats and co, I'm pretty much unique with my classy retro-wooden phones. Those of you crybabies who are going on about lack of isolation are mental - they isolate fine and can be used out and about without any issues.

Ace on a stick.

Last edited by bennyboy; 12-13-2011 at 08:51 AM.