android
Old 12-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Lightbulb advice, Cowon quality build

I'm looking to replace my cowon s9 and I'd like to know if there there are cowon products that don't feel as plastic-y as the s9.

I really like the sound quality and eq settings that cowon offers, but learning from using the s9, I need a new one that has a metallic casing. Preferably an iphone type or sony x-series type of casing. I wouldn't mind if I venture out towards other products other than the cowon or sansa lines, as long as they play flac, wav and mp3 and of course having the best sound quality it can generate, without the fancy expensive headphones or amplfiers.

Any input would be appreciated.

I use my dap mainly for the listening experience and for band practices.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM

The fact that you want to play flac reduces the scope a lot...

Sony NWZ-A84x and NWZ-A86x series feature metal cases, excellent sound quality and dead-easy and efficient interfaces.
Drawbacks are limited battery life (8-10 hours), no flac, and possibly volume limitation if you buy a European model.

Otherwise, some HifiMan players may suit your metal and flac needs, but at the cost of a decent interface and memory capacity.

Conclusion: quite tough to get an upgrade when you already have a S9 or a J3...

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post
The fact that you want to play flac reduces the scope a lot...

Sony NWZ-A84x and NWZ-A86x series feature metal cases, excellent sound quality and dead-easy and efficient interfaces.
Drawbacks are limited battery life (8-10 hours), no flac, and possibly volume limitation if you buy a European model.

Otherwise, some HifiMan players may suit your metal and flac needs, but at the cost of a decent interface and memory capacity.

Conclusion: quite tough to get an upgrade when you already have a S9 or a J3...
No, you DID NOT recommend those piece of SHIT hifiman players!!!

Check out the Cowon C2 - the build quality is solid, the audio effects are Cowon's latest, and the battery life is rock solid. It maxes @16gb, and thanks to a microSD card slot can do another 32gb easily.

Here's dfkt's review: Cowon C2 Review

Hifiman,...WTF?!?!?!

Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM

lol I was considering all pretty much, hifiman series, s:flow 2, colorfly, sansa and ipod classic. Of all the places, abi members have so much against the hifiman and s:flow 2 compared to most of the forums that I go to. Have you actually had the chance to have a listen to those 2?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Lightbulb need a cowon player that's sturdy

So my cowon s9 is at the brink of it's life, one thing I learned from it is that, the user interface and responsiveness of the software and touch capability could be better. Now, I need a player that's pretty much got a solid metallic feel to it, pretty much almost like a ipod or sony walkman type of mp3 player.

I'm picking cowon just because I put sound quality above anything else since I have a flac collection. I would be devastated if I had to go mp3 on a dap.

Any input would be really nice.

Cheers!

Last edited by skip252; 12-11-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Threads merged. Please don't multi-post the the same request.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgexz View Post
lol I was considering all pretty much, hifiman series, s:flow 2, colorfly, sansa and ipod classic. Of all the places, abi members have so much against the hifiman and s:flow 2 compared to most of the forums that I go to. Have you actually had the chance to have a listen to those 2?
People have posted flacs recorded from those players here. They're pretty bad. I would look elsewhere if you're concerned about quality.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
No, you DID NOT recommend those piece of SHIT hifiman players!!!

Hifiman,...WTF?!?!?!
I don't recommend, I'm just providing options.
I wouldn't get something sold as high-end, providing only 8Gb memory and an interface from 10 years ago, but it may please other people...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I wouldn't get something sold as high-end, providing only 8Gb memory and an interface from 10 years ago, but it may please other people...
Then DON'T RECOMMEND SOMETHING YOU ACTUALLY FEEL IS CRAP!!! It's an overpriced piece of garbage.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 AM

lol woah calm down dude. you got some issues. Shouting doesn't help, instead why don't you provide us some more information to why they're crap?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Hi lgexz,

He's yelling because he doesn't know you, and you might actually consider it as a viable player. It really isn't that bad, but it's not very good either. It's most offensive in that it's nothing like what it's manufacturer nor it's fanbois would have you believe. It's as grossly overpriced as it's spec sheet, too. Friends don't let friends get ripped off. Or something like that.

Not that Cowon's aren't overpriced, BTW. I mean a 32G J3 costs as much as some 10" android tablets or dualcore Atom netbooks, and it can't even play good games. Cowon's coasting on it's SQ these days, and I don't know why. I'm kind of mad at them, but what can ya do? Yell?

You have a Cowon and like your Cowon, I'm sorry to say, you'll be hard pressed to upgrade to better sound as tienbasse points out. And truthfully, all the current Cowons sound the same. A J3 is no SQ upgrade for an S9.

There are others that will say differently, but those of us that own multiple units will tell you, Cowon is using the same chips and same output stages on all it's players, probably down to the exact same inductors and capacitors on the outputs. Unified designs save on costs, but we haven't seen anything innovative SQ-wise from Cowon in a long time.

What exactly is your problem with the durability? "It feels plasticky" doesn't mean it's weak! I mean, if you expect an iPod 4th gen Touch to survive being tossed in the bottom of your guitar case any more than the S9, this is what we'd call an ill-conceived notion.

If you're talking about case flex, then size is the problem. When you make something so thin but with a 4" screen, it's going to be less solid than one with a 2" screen, yes? In this respect, a J3 *could* be considered more durable, although I'm extrapolating here.

Have you considered a Rockbox'd Sansa? All of them are tiny, and their SQ is surprisingly good. And as far as bang-for-the-buck, they are untouchable. And being so tiny, you'd have to really try to break it.

The C2 is thick, like the D2. And it does flex. But I highly doubt you'll crack the glass in rough use. An i9/i10 is so small it disappears in your pocket, but no SD slot.

Lastly, if you're really considering switching away from Cowon, you need to go listen in-person or order from a place with a liberal return policy. You might not like what you hear.

Good hunting!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What I've highlighted indicates that you've already read about those players here. The forum has a search function that will lead you back to the threads you've obviously already seen. There's no need for a retread here.
Quote:
lol woah calm down dude. you got some issues. Shouting doesn't help, instead why don't you provide us some more information to why they're crap?
It would be better if you went back and found that information for yourself. If you have specific questions, post those.

Why don't we all limit any further discussion in this thread to the positives of a search for a S9 replacement. There's several hundred other posts in various threads here concerning boutique DAPs the OP can find if they want to read them again.

Everyone checking on the status of their CAPS LOCK key as they post would also be a good idea .

Last edited by skip252; 12-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
heh, so you realize they're not worth getting, but you suggest it anyway?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Listing alternatives will more often then not come off as advice. Regardless of intent.

Anyway...
- The Cowon C2 is a step down from the S9
- Cowon J3 is a step up
- Sony a8xx series as was already mentioned though you would do well to check the battery life statistics... I find the numbers quoted hard to believe.
- Sandisk Clip Series

Pick your poison... Different initial costs, build quality, support for audiotypes, capacity etc etc. Good hunting and pass on the boutique players.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
They're not worth getting in my opinion but fill most of the OP needs, so they're worth mentionning with pros and cons so people can make their own opinion.

I'm really surprised than providing documented options (nothing more) seems to piss off people that bad, I'm not trying to argue with anyone here...

Old 12-12-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
They're not worth getting in my opinion but fill most of the OP needs,
The OP asked for "best sound quality". The HifiMan series players all have terrible audio quality. So no, they don't meet the stated requirements. Hence, it was not a good suggestion.

Quote:
I'm really surprised than providing documented options (nothing more) seems to piss off people that bad
Its that you gave dumb suggestions. That is what is annoying people. You're welcome to list options, just try to list ones that make sense in context.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:51 PM

has anyone heard of this?
http://mp3.generationmp3.com/2011/12...ur-audiophile/

and this:
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets...roid-20110913/

Just weighing all my options. I'll most likely get another cowon but I'm gonna have to have a listen with the hifi series.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I'll most likely get another cowon but I'm gonna have to have a listen with the hifi series.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...1&postcount=34.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I do have issues, when I expect better of a respected member of the forums,...he's good people, I thought he would know better.

Besides, I'll say the same thing some others have mentioned - search the forums and get your info. It helps us help you,...and always getting the same questions over & over is quite annoying, seeing as you've already read others opinions on the same gadgets you've mentioned. If you've zeroed in on POS players please don't waste our time,...simple as that.

Quote:
They're not worth getting in my opinion but fill most of the OP needs, so they're worth mentionning with pros and cons so people can make their own opinion.

I'm really surprised than providing documented options (nothing more) seems to piss off people that bad, I'm not trying to argue with anyone here...
It's no argument my friend, but recommending a player that's got sub-standard SQ is a no-no IMO. It may have certain features the OP has requested, but the "SQ" feature isn't one of them. It's LOUD!!! Same as the S:Flo 2, but that's about it. Expensive doorstop,...

I personally meant no offense to you,...my bad!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Thanks! I'd like to know what "rolled off" treble or bass is?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I'd like to know what "rolled off" treble or bass is?
A slight attenuation of the high frequencies and a slight attenuation of the low frequencies.

Tags
build, case, casing, cowon, quality