android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-04-2011, 07:02 AM

Default closed / half closed headphones (new headphones for a new player)

my fuze+ died and i decided to get a c2. also i want new headphones. i've used only in-ears yet and i do not have much experiences with closed headphones. i still have the denon ah-c360 but i want to use them for sports only.
my price range is up to 60€ and i want to use them in public transportation mainly. i've found a few phones in that price range which sound quite good accodring to some reviews i have read:

Creative Aurvana Live! (for only 50€ at creative.com)

JVC HA-NC120

AKG Acoustics K 518 DJ or K 430
Shure SRH 240

i have got the JVCs already but i am not sure if i like them or not. the isolation is very good but i am not sure if i like the half closed design. also they seem to fall of easily (or maybe it is because i am used to in-ears ).
with a sony mp3player (e-series) they sound good (but a bit muddy) but i will wait until the cowon arrives to tell if the sound is satisfying.

unfortunately i cannot really pre-listen to the shure/creative phones because they aren't sold at the electronic markets here (at least i couldn't find them).

what do you guys think?

Last edited by kredig; 12-04-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd go for the creative's, as the price is right. The sq is said to be pretty good as well.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

but how is the build quality of these? i have had sereval creative products and those were not really good at this point.

for some more information: i am listening to good old 80's metal mostly or heavy metal in general.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Creatives are a really nice sounding set of headphones and are a bargain at that price for the sound quality they give. They are a bit on the flimsy side, but they are at least comfortable. The same I cannot say about the AKG's. The Shures I have not tried much but that was because their more expensive brother the SRH840 was right next to them and the cheaper siblings sounded like complete bunk when directly compared.

By the way, when did you see thsoe Aurvana Live!'s for 50? I looked now and only saw them for 79 If the shipping on the 50 ones was decent I'd buy them myself to give as a present.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I really liked the sound of the AKG 518 but the clamp was crazy. Most people say they can be stretched to help that out and honestly I wish I wouldnt have been so hasty on my return of them

Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 AM

@jack4l: the 50€ for the creative phones are probably for germany only. at least it is the german web-store.

okay, i guess i will stay with these headphones. with the cowon they sound fantastic. maybe the equilizer of the sony is kind of crappy (i didn't like the overall sound anyways).

Last edited by kredig; 12-05-2011 at 02:31 PM.