android
Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 AM

The badge clip is working fine so far. The only drawback is that it is bulkier than the OE. So because I wanted to see if there was a more elegant solution I ordered both types of clips from countycomm (along with several other gadget gear knickknacks just to make it seem like the $8 for shipping was worthwhile ). I expect to evaluate them firsthand for use with the Clip+ later this week.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Replacement Clip Review

I received the two clips from countycomm. Here is the entire lineup including my badge strap clip shown alongside the Clip+.

Top Side

Back Side

From left to right are the countycomm SO-LED light (various LED colors available) with screw-on clip detached, Clip+ with original equipment clip detached, ID badge clip strap (top), NITE IZE self-locking clip (bottom).

Here they are in profile.

My Assessment

SO-LED clip.

At first glance this clip looks to be about the ideal size for the Clip+. However it is surprisingly heavy duty, which raises concerns.

The springs are quite strong considering it's intended purpose is only to hold a tiny flashlight that is significantly lighter than a Clip+. The rotating ratchet is also robust, so it takes a surprising amount of force to twist it from position to position. The "spec ops" design requirements apparently were to insure these babies will never fall off or break in the field.

The drawback I see for use with the Clip+ is that to withstand these spring forces and twisting torques it probably would need to be screwed onto the back of the Clip+ player the same way it is screwed to the LED flashlight. You might get away with epoxying it but I wouldn't count on it. So to use this with confidence you would probably need to drill a couple of holes in the back of your clip. Even then the back of the Clip+ may prove to be too thin to hold the screws securely or without breaking.

And there is another problem. See how the pivot rivet for the rotating mechanism protrudes from the back side of the clip?

This means you cannot fasten it directly to a flat surface. The SO-LED light has a concave hollow which provides room for this rivet. No such space on the back of a Clip+, so you would have to fashion some sort of spacer to provide clearance.

[edit]After sleeping on this I thought, "What about attaching this clip with double-sided tape? That would provide the clearance for the pivot." But after I took a second look at the mounting surface of the clip...

... I'm still skeptical. You can see there are only two small mounting surface areas surrounding the screw holes. I'm doubtful they would provide enough grip to handle the forces involved with using this clip.[/edit]

So my verdict for this clip is: Might work, but problematic.

NITE IZE Self-Locking clip.

This looks nice. At first glance it seems that the size also is just about right for the Clip+, but more on this below. Notice this isn't the type of clip you need to squeeze or compress to attach, rather it simply slips over a pocket or belt edge, then a self-adjusting, self-locking "grabber" (for lack of a better word) holds on. You press on the release lever when you want to detach the clip from whatever you've clipped it on.

It comes with pre-attached double-sided adhesive tape and and an alcohol pad for cleaning the surface you want to stick it to. I expect that mounting method would be plenty strong enough for a device as light as a Clip+. A potential drawback being: if you find you don't like it, it may be difficult to remove without damaging the back of your device.

Another drawback is that there is no flat surface to attach it to on Clip+ as it is manufactured. You would first have to grind or sand off the mounting posts from the original clip and at least part of the ridge that forms the original "clip-gripper".

Also the microphone hole would be covered by the mounting tape unless a small portion is removed before sticking to the player. Even with that work-around it's uncertain the microphone will perform normally.

My verdict for this clip is: Workable, but with reservations.

Conclusion

I started out expecting that either or both of the clips from countycomm would be more elegant solutions than my DIY badge strap clip. But after looking closely I see more disadvantages than advantages for use with the Clip+. They're both nice pieces, and with effort you could probably use either of them, but they simply are not ideal for this purpose. No better and with more drawbacks than the cheaper badge strap clip in my opinion.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 06-12-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: More info on SO-LED clip mounting concerns. spelling.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:19 AM

I like the "scotch on the microsd slot" idea. Gonna put some on mine too, later.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
I like the "scotch on the microsd slot" idea. Gonna put some on mine too, later.
My card only popped out once when I didn't want it to, and that was one time too many. The 32GB card is worth more than the Clip+. Hence the tape. It's actually a piece of packing tape, not as thick as normal "Scotch" tape. You'll do a neater job when you tape yours. I just threw a piece on.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Why not use something like a Dremmel with an abrasive attachment to shave-down the broken hinge, so it's flush with the back of the Clip+ before you stick the replacement clip on? It would look much neater and sit in the centre?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Radish View Post
Why not use something like a Dremmel with an abrasive attachment to shave-down the broken hinge, so it's flush with the back of the Clip+ before you stick the replacement clip on? It would look much neater and sit in the centre?
That's essentially what I said. I didn't actually stick it on off center. The photo is just to illustrate that it's not possible to stick in the center without removing the hinge and part of the lower raised ridge. If you read you'll see I wrote:

Quote:
...there is no flat surface to attach it to on Clip+ as it is manufactured. You would first have to grind or sand off the mounting posts from the original clip and at least part of the ridge that forms the original "clip-gripper".
But then I also wrote that if you put it in the center it could block the microphone.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Wonder why Sansa didn't stay with the clip design from the original Clip? Those things were indestructible. My Clip is deceased...but I saved the clip from it, to use on something else......

Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, the original Clip clip seemed to have a tension crack issue, with SanDisk originally sending replacements to customers and later selling them in its online store.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Actually, the original Clip clip seemed to have a tension crack issue, with SanDisk originally sending replacements to customers and later selling them in its online store.
Both of my original Clips developed that crack, but never broke, at least as long as I owned them.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Hmmmm....whereabouts do they develop these cracks?

They seem really sturdy- I just re-examined mine....it's still like new....

Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipman View Post
Hmmmm....whereabouts do they develop these cracks?

They seem really sturdy- I just re-examined mine....it's still like new....
Right where the point of the metal spring touched the plastic of the clip.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator

It seemed to be a per case issue, not all of them. One of mine developed a little split just below the top slot of the back clip right over the spring. I just kept using it and it hasn't split completely yet. It's the one I use to workout most often so it's taken a pretty good beating across the last couple of years. I do clip mine to either my collar or a breast pocket not my belt. I've had had belt clips on stainless steel multi-tools snap off when attached to my belt so I wouldn't expect a plastic clip to hold up there.

It's a lot like the Clip+. Some people have no issues, others break fairly quick. In just about every post I've read everyone says they used it properly. Just looking at the plastic posts that holds the spring on the Clip+ it seems as if that were beefed up they wouldn't fail as often. The pictures I've seen it usually those that break not the clip itself.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Yeah, from the pics, it looks like the clip on the Clip+ would be more prone to break- those posts that hold the hinge pin are too thin- especially where the hole for the hinge goes through 'em.

Just examined my old Clip clip again....you're right Marvin- there is a little crack there- doesn't look like it'll spread or do any harm though.

I'm really thinking that no one seems to build a quality MP3 player designed to last. Virtually all seem to have non-user-replaceable batteries and other things which guarantee a short life. They need to change that. It seems everything these days is becoming disposable- but I like to buy things that last. I tend to keep things very long...even if they become obsolete. These players sound good today...they'll still sound good 5 or even 10 years from now...but they manufacture them to last (or so it seems) for only maybe 1-3 years...if you're lucky. (I was still using my first computer- bought in 1999 - 500Mhz, 10GB HD, 256Mhz RAMWin98 up until 2008!)

Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Necro post of the day

For the first time ever, I have broken a clip. My trusty two-year-old Clip+ broke on me last night.....had reached inside my coat to skip a track and right at that moment somebody bumped into that arm.

Now I'm debating.....attempt to attach something else, or sell this one to somebody and replace the entire unit? Decisions, decisions.....

Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
For the first time ever, I have broken a clip. My trusty two-year-old Clip+ broke on me last night.....had reached inside my coat to skip a track and right at that moment somebody bumped into that arm.

Now I'm debating.....attempt to attach something else, or sell this one to somebody and replace the entire unit? Decisions, decisions.....
Use a Dremel. I like my Clip+ without the bulky clip attached to it. The size factor is so much nicer without that bulkiness.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmanishere View Post
Use a Dremel. I like my Clip+ without the bulky clip attached to it. The size factor is so much nicer without that bulkiness.
But I use the clip...so I am selling the player and replacing it with a Clip Zip.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 PM

For people replacing their clip, i would like to recommend using Sugru to attach it.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Ok, my clip broke a few months ago. Instead of complicating my life, I just took superattack and reattached the clip back. It's not the most functional solution, but it still works, permitting me to clip the player to most of my clothes.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 PM

I have used the self-locking clip for my Clip+ attaching it to a ground down back. I also use the self-locking clip on a Sony bluetooth stereo receiver because the original plastic alligator clip is too weak. As a replacement adhesive, I use both 3M clear mounting tape (Heavy duty) and foam mounting tape depending upon the application. The foam mounting tape comes in rolls the precise width of the self-locking clip.

These self-locking clips are very durable.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 AM

Default how i fixed my broken clip...

i stumbled onto this forum to get ideas when i broke mine. here's the solution i came up with...

i ordered a simple money clip from amazon for ~$5...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00863FBIO

i dremel'ed off the excess plastic on the back so it was a flat surface and then super-glued the money clip to the back. the shape of this particular clip fits perfect as the little "lip" part wraps under the bottom edge giving extra support and it doesn't block the mic hole at the top edge. i also "spread" the clip a little before gluing on to make it less tight when slipping it over things like the edge of your waistband...

i also ordered this aftermarket rubber jacket for the clip...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

which covers up the glue mess and makes it barely noticeable as a hack...

i've been using it like this for about 3 months now with no problems - it actually feels sturdier than the original clip! thanks to all on this thread for the inspiration. hope this helps someone else out there that has run into this problem. it's a great little mp3 player and i use it more than any other device.