android
Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Clip Zip Shuffle list issue?

I've had a suspicion for some time now that when using the shuffle list option in the music menu. Where I have a track twice on my player both examples play consecutively .

I have Dire Straits (Private investigations) both the Album track and a live recording on a different Album. In shuffle list if one of these is played it is followed by the other.

This has happened a number of times with this particular track and some others. However, today in the car both versions of private Investigations were played, Followed by Blur (Charmless Man) which is on the Best of Blur Album twice (once live) being played twice.

Is this normal? (The repeat tracks not the choice of music I'm aware this is suspect!!) I thought that shuffle list would do just that and the chances of these tracks keep repeating are so remote that I shall enter the lottery today!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Apparently, the shuffle algorithm was written to play "identical" songs 1 after the other--others have noted this as well. A way around this possibly would be to retag one of the songs to something different (perhaps adding "(live)" at the end)?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 AM

Mikerman, Thanks for that. At least I'm not going senile!

I'll run a report in MM to check which tracks I have duplicated and remove the duplications from the compilation and greatest Hits Albums!. I'll sure the Blur tracks are tagged differently with the Live at Wembly Arena at the end!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Personally, I'd just keep the duplicates and live with the issue with a shuffle--I wouldn't want to lose the songs from album play.

Also, if the tags are different but the filenames are the same, that could be what they player is picking up on (and a slight change to the filename, if you wanted to do that, could do the trick).

Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 AM

Thanks again Mikerman. I'll do a little more investigation round the tags and Filenames. Happy to know it's expected behavior!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've started to think of the Clip Zip as the youngest child in a family, with all the unique characteristics that being the youngest can bring . . . .

Old 11-30-2011, 04:56 AM

Just wanted to say that even when disregarding this bug, the shuffle algorithm on the Clip Zip is pretty terrible. It tends to advance to a song by the same artist, or a song that was added to the playlist around the same time as the last song.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickaxe View Post
Just wanted to say that even when disregarding this bug, the shuffle algorithm on the Clip Zip is pretty terrible. It tends to advance to a song by the same artist, or a song that was added to the playlist around the same time as the last song.
Thankfully, I generally listen to albums as a whole . . . .