android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
If you are going to use a set of headphones for music use it would make sense to start by consulting websites and reviewers that are music oriented instead of gaming oriented. as I said, my coworker thinks the razers are great and loves them for games and music...but he has also never used anything over stock earbuds and logitech headsets until I made him "splurge" on a set of JVC aircushions for his ipod.
Ha! OK, that makes sense now. Stock ear-bud sux. Oh well, I agree to check audio-related website but, I wanted to check but nobody reviewed them because it was sold by a gaming company.

Quote:
your going to get sweaty ears from any closed can. closed means there is no air circulation. if that is an issue get a set of open headphones. problem there is that, in general, open cans have less bass. personally, I just deal with the sweat and take periodic breather breaks. a lot of hype in the link I am about to post but there are some honest opinions in there too...
Well, my Sennheise HD202 have a leather padding and they make my ears sweat but NOT my Creative Fatal1ty headset with foam padding.

Quote:
They look good. However, I'm concerned that it doesn't enveloppe my full ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamg View Post
Just so you know I wouldn't want to spend that money on the Razer because a) it's retail pricing (so you're probably paying $20 more than what it's worth) and b) apparently "It's difficult to recommend the Orca; you won't get a lot in terms of audio quality although your spending almost twice as much as a similar sounding Philips headphone." (according to the first review that I've found anyways).

So these headphones cost around $70 CDN - twice as much as some pair of Philips headphones that sound similar. For the sake of having a headphone comparison you'd need to know which Philips headphone he's comparing the Orcas to.
The retail pricing I found was 55$, not 70$.

Quote:
Well from what I've found there are three headphones that fit the price range - SHO8801, SHO9561, SNH5200. So google these headphones and add a "Head Fi" at the end so that you may be linked to a review on Head Fi.
Is it me or I actually never found any review of these...?

Quote:
If people actually compared the Orca to another headphone that we know about (which would be quite a few) we'd actually be able to have some idea of what it sounds like. Not many enthusiasts go for lower-end Philips headphones due to their mainstream sound signatures, though.
Then, any recommandation between 50 and 100$. As long as it have awesome sound (like mentionned in my last post), it's VERY confortable, completely covers my ears and a good design (new!), I'm all for it. Gimme link to what you think could fit in the budget and sounds awesome.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

velour pads help with sweat for sure. Sennheiser has a new set that I haven't heard yet but if they are like the previous version, the hd428, then they will be nice. I really enjoyed my hd428. I think its the hd419.

as for the other set enclosing your ears...what are you basing that concern on? be careful using pictures to judge that because a pic with just the headphones offers no perspective. a thick headband can make earcups look small and vice versa. the thread seems to say that they fit over the ears from what I have seen. also if a cup is oblong instead of round it usally goes over the ear completely. not all over-the-ears are oblong but all oblongs are over-the-ear. make sense?

as for specific recommendations, there are tons of options out there. they all have their tradeoffs...there are also tons of threads about $50 recommendations. personally I am out for a set of xb500s. big bass, comfy pads, and can be EQed pretty well.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 PM

In confort... in my head, I had for exemple the headphones you use in a HMV to preview the discs you might buy. I don't know if you ever use those but I remember from experience that the sound might be meh but my ears were completely envelopped by the pads and the noise was completely blocked-off. I know for sure that noise cancellation is a very expensive feature and it's not for a 50-100$ budget.

For Over-Ears recommandation, I have the...
Sony MDR-XB500S
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

Any other recommandations? I also would like links to their respective review for any other recommandations.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ok so you want us to find the recommendations search for the reviews and post them for you. what are YOU going to do? thats more work than most people will want to do since they are not getting the reward of actually buying the set . once you get a recommendation it should be pretty easy for you to do your own research. between here and head-fi there are plenty of user impressions to get you started.

check out the jvc ha-m750 as well
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64841

also, I didnt see you list the hd428 or hd419. if you dont like what you see I understand, just hoping you didnt miss them

Last edited by IDvsEGO; 11-30-2011 at 01:57 PM.