android
Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 PM

Default Question about charging and playing

Hey is it possiable to play your Clip+ while it is recharging via the usb plug of your computer??? I like to play my Clip+ hooked up to the line in of my SB Live 24 bit.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator

You can't use the player if there's a data line connected. If you're using a USB only charger you can.

I've read some posts about putting the plug partially in to charge and listen at the same time but that never worked well for me. The slightest bump and it would connect fully and shut off the music. I have a couple of USB chargers around and just use one of those when I want to listen and charge simultaneously.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info Skip!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 PM

When I put Clip+ connected to cigarette lighter, I get NO AUX message. I doubt cigarette charger (with mini usb) messes with data. My Clip+ is version 1. Will someone share car charger/Clip+ experience?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paker View Post
When I put Clip+ connected to cigarette lighter, I get NO AUX message. I doubt cigarette charger (with mini usb) messes with data. My Clip+ is version 1. Will someone share car charger/Clip+ experience?
I've never seen a "NO AUX" message on my Clip+. Are you seeing the message on your car unit? If so, we probably need to know the brand and model of the car unit., and how you are connecting the two.

I use both the Clip and Clip+ in the car while being charged. I use a cassette adapter plugged into the Clip's earphone jack.

Steve

Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 PM

Sorry for my confusing post.
What I mean is when Clip+ is connected to car charger, car radio reads NO AUX. As soon as I unplug car charger from cirgarette lighter hole, music plays. I tried with 2 different car chargers, no difference.

I know there are data pins which are shorted inside the charger. Should I unshort them?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
What I mean is when Clip+ is connected to car charger, car radio reads NO AUX. As soon as I unplug car charger from cirgarette lighter hole, music plays. I tried with 2 different car chargers, no difference.

I know there are data pins which are shorted inside the charger. Should I unshort them?

Try using a cell phone charger that is mini usb that is what i use and it works fine

Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM

I listened to my clip zip while charging with a micro usb wall charger that came with my Amazon Kindle 3.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM

Default charging and listening

Hey I hooked up my clip+ to my powered usb hub, disconnected the hub from the computer and I can listen and charge at the same time now.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Makes sense. See my answer in post #2 of this thread. Once you disconnect the powered hub from the PC there's no longer a data connection. The hub becomes a power only charger and you're able to listen and charge at the same time.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Makes sense. See my answer in post #2 of this thread. Once you disconnect the powered hub from the PC there's no longer a data connection. The hub becomes a power only charger and you're able to listen and charge at the same time.
You post was what gave me the idea, thanks skip!!!!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM

I'm completely confused. If the statement is you plug one end of the cable into the cigarette lighter and the other end into the clip, the radio does something. Sorry, there is something else you are doing, the cigarette lighter is powered from the car battery via a fuse, nothing to do with the radio, are you also making a connection from the clip earphone outlet to the car aux input using an audio cable, if that's the case then it's a different situation.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Administrator

The person that had the issue with their car radio was attempting to use the USB port to get audio out of the Clip. There's no audio output there so the car radio gave them the NO AUX message.

If a head unit or car radio has an AUX input you can use the headphone jack to connect and play files using the Clip. Playback would be controlled through the Clip, not the car. Since there's no data connection you could also connect the USB port to the cigarette lighter with a USB charger and charge at the same time.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Try using a power only usb cable. You can get these on Amazon. Another option is to Rockbox your player. When booted in Rockbox, holding down a button while connecting prevents a data connection.

Apparently the car charger you are using is making the player think there is a data connection.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Try using a power only usb cable. You can get these on Amazon. Another option is to Rockbox your player. When booted in Rockbox, holding down a button while connecting prevents a data connection.

Apparently the car charger you are using is making the player think there is a data connection.
Will someone please tell me what is being done to the car radio, I know of no car radio that monitors what is being plugged into the cigarette lighter. As I said earlier, we need to know what is being plugged into what.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Administrator

The Clip's headphone out is connected to the car radio AUX IN via a audio cable. Then the Clip's USB port is connected to a USB charger that's plugged into the cigarette lighter. The audio goes to the radio from the headphone out and the USB charger supplies the power. Since there is no data connection at the USB port it's possible to charge and listen at the same time.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks Skip, I re-read the posts from paker and he never explicitly told us what he was doing. I just tried this with my new clip zip and it works fine and I know I could also do this with the earlier clip. I don't know what is happening unless the usb end of the car charger is wired in some funny way.
He should try the Rockbox approach.