android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Comply T-400 foam tips... Wow!

I guess I'll put this in here. The other day I was in Radioshack, and while I didn't find what I wanted, I saw a lonely set of T-400 tips on the rack, and noticed they fit the Pana HJE900, the stock tips of which I sometimes use on my Fischer Audio Eterna. So I decided to grab them, since they were a measly 8 bucks. Since, I've used them three times, once in absolute silence, once while vacuuming, and once while mowing the lawn. Each time, they've gotten more pleasurable than the last! Here's a short summary of what I've noticed so far:

Isolation: Great. On par with the stock double-flange tips that came with the Eterna, better than the small tips that I use from the HJE900. Larger tips don't fit me well, so I can't comment on the relationship to those. Something I also think I'll include here is that the noise of my footsteps is WAY less than with the other silicon tips (I forget what it's called, bone something-with-a-c I think). That alone makes them my new favorites...

Sound: I want to listen a little more before saying a lot about how they sound, but one thing I've noticed is that the bass isn't as loud as with the double-flanges and the highs aren't as loud as the little Pannies. In terms of sound, at the moment, I much prefer the double-flanges.

Comfort: Here's where they really excel. I can hardly feel them, even with my screwed up jaw that's been bothering my left ear with IEMs lately. They also stay in without any trouble at all. It's pretty much what I was expecting. Wore them for 7 hours straight in quiet, didn't have to take them out to give my ears a break or anything at all. Which is blissful.

I'll probably comment more after I've had more experience with them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-15-2011, 04:18 AM

Nice read, I am curious in your opinion after you see how long they last and when you have to pay full price

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
... [I forget what it's called, bone something-with-a-c I think). ...
word/words your looking for is "bone conduction" I believe, which as you know means the transmission or conduction of sound to the inner ear through the bones of the skull.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Were these $15 for 3 pairs? I wonder how long they will last. I saw many commending the sound improvement, however they also said they don't last that long, and at $5 a pair, to keep replacing them can add up. I hope yours last quite a while. Some people reported buying ear plugs at less than 50 cents a pair, and modding them into a T-400 substitute. I was thinking about buying these, however after hearing they may not last so long, I decided against it. I wonder if there are any generics available? It looks like these are probably cheap to make.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 AM

Glad you're enjoying the tips! It's always nice to enjoy something you stumble on.
If you have questions, complaints, or just something to say, feel free to email us... Social @ Comply Foam . com (no spaces).

Note on length of life: the majority of people say the tips don't last long for two reasons — 1) the tips can get dirty and waxy, making them "too gross to use." People say they had to throw away tips because the gunked up with earwax, instead of actually being damaged or tearing, which is what it sounds like. 2) there is a bad habit of constantly applying the tips to the earphones, them removing them to apply to different earphones, then removing the to apply to the original earphones, and so on. Constantly removing/applying them dramatically increases the likelihood that the tips will tear.
These can be resolved in 2 ways (also): 1) keep your ears clean and wash your tips with warm water (only) when/if they get too gross. Washing will help a lot; be sure to let them dry completely before applying them to earphones again. 2) Only remove the tips from the earphones to replace them or clean them.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Were these $15 for 3 pairs? ...
He stated in first post that they were "8 bucks," that's why I stated what I posted as they do not tend to last long for most folks that use their gear often. IMO they're too expensive to constantly buy ....

Edit: But I will agree that they're really nice and comfy too if you get they for free or on the cheap side.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplyGuy View Post
These can be resolved in 2 ways (also): 1) keep your ears clean and wash your tips with warm water (only) when/if they get too gross. Washing will help a lot; be sure to let them dry completely before applying them to earphones again. 2) Only remove the tips from the earphones to replace them or clean them.
I concur.

I have been using T-400 for a year and Ts-500 tips for 6 months and I have yet to throw away my first pair (out of 3). It definitely makes them cheap.

Cleaning cycle: put some baby soap in a glass of warm water. Plunge the foam tips into the water, press them a few times to soak water in, let them swim for 15-20 minutes.
Take them out, squeeze the soappy water out, and rince them a few times with warm water (soak in, squeeze out...).
Absorb the remaining water by letting them rest on top of absorbing paper for a day.
Et voilà, brand new tips and the nice baby soap smell is a bonus!

I successfully applied this to Shure and Comply foams.

And I strongly recommend spherical Comply foams (Ts series), they fit my big ear canals much better than the standard ones. A must with Panas HJE-900, TripleFi-10 or JVC HA-FX700, which are delivered with a very poor selection of silicon tips.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How does the Ts-500 differ exactly from the T-400? Will both work on the Sennheiser CX300? if I could get the T-400 for under $10 I might go for it.

Why doesn't Comply sell a single pair of mid sized, small or large T-400 tips for $5? Many more people would take a chance with $5 than would be willing to risk $15. Did I see a pack of 5 pairs of medium T-400 for $20? The 5 pack for under $20 would be interesting if one had a choice of all three sizes. Imo having a single pair available at $5 is what would get many to try them.

Last edited by JK98; 11-15-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM

T= cylindric foams
Ts= spherical foams
100/400/500 series have different internal diameters to fit different IEMs, 100 having the smallest diameter, 500 the biggest. You can find which series is right for your IEM on Comply's website. For CX300, you can use T-400 or Ts-400.

Mid-size will fit most needs, unless you have very small ear canals.
Large size is just huge (I have very big ear canals, and these are way too broad and long).

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM

They are not sold in single pairs because distributors wouldn't allow that, and the ticket price (with shipping) would seem really high.
The 5 pair wouldn't work in mixed unless it was a 1-Small, 3-Mediums, 1-Large or something like that... it would work is it were a 6-pack, but it's not.
Like tienbasse said, you can see which tips are approved for earphones on the site.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was talking about having a 5 or 6 pack available will all the tips in the package the same size, but to have them available for all 3 sizes. As for shipping, yes people wouldn't buy a single pair through the mail due to shipping costs, but would buy a single pair at Radio Shack or some other store. Once people have tried it and like it, then they might order a 5 pack or 6 pack.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM

Tienbase - that looks like like a really good & easy cleaning method. I never tried foam tips bc I read everywhere they don't last long enough.

I mostly workout with my IEM's and I'm wondering if I apply your cleaning regimen, if it would make sense to try Comply's or even the Shure Olives or do you think I'd still go through them quickly?

I'm pretty OCD about my ear canal and clean them everyday and usually clean them before I use my IEM's too.

EDIT: Oh yeah I also clean my silicone tips after 1 or 2 workouts too. I always take them off the nozzle after I finish working out, in the off chance some sweat might've gotten in the nozzle so I let them air out.

EDIT2: ComplyGuy - How long would a set of Comply T-400's last if I cleaned them according to Tienbase's regimen after every workout? Same question with the TX-400's? I would only wear the tips then 3-5 times a week for 2.5 - 3.5 hours each time. Would acoustic quality deteriorate over time?

Last edited by FLMikey; 11-15-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

monsters have spherical silicone tips and I like their fit. I will prolly pick up a ts set soon

Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Nice read, I am curious in your opinion after you see how long they last and when you have to pay full price

word/words your looking for is "bone conduction" I believe, which as you know means the transmission or conduction of sound to the inner ear through the bones of the skull.
I wore them for a small amount today, with the same opinion.

Thanks for filling in my blanks! For some reason, my mind always jumps to "bone contusion." The result of too much athletics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Were these $15 for 3 pairs? I wonder how long they will last. I saw many commending the sound improvement, however they also said they don't last that long, and at $5 a pair, to keep replacing them can add up. I hope yours last quite a while. Some people reported buying ear plugs at less than 50 cents a pair, and modding them into a T-400 substitute. I was thinking about buying these, however after hearing they may not last so long, I decided against it. I wonder if there are any generics available? It looks like these are probably cheap to make.
I'll be sure to keep note of how they deteriorate over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMikey View Post
EDIT2: ComplyGuy - How long would a set of Comply T-400's last if I cleaned them according to Tienbase's regimen after every workout? Same question with the TX-400's? I would only wear the tips then 3-5 times a week for 2.5 - 3.5 hours each time. Would acoustic quality deteriorate over time?
The package says they should last 3 months or so. I hope they last longer if I take good care of them.

For people who don't know, the fit is pretty phenomenal whether you have big ears or not because to insert them, you roll them in your fingers to make them small then when you put them in your ears they expand for a great fit. I'm 99% sure that if you follow this procedure, the tips will fit nearly everyone. For example, my ears are pretty small. I always use the smallest tips available, with the exception of the double-flanges I talked about before. That said, these tips fit me wonderfully despite the fact that completely uncompressed, they appear to be about the size of the large Fischer tips, slightly more cylindrical.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 AM

I hope they last a long time for you too. Looks like the key is to keep your ear canal clean before using them, then only removing the tips from the nozzle when you need to clean them.

I'd imagine you'd get 3 months following that advice and using the suggested cleaning method. I'm now debating picking up a pair haha..

Old 11-16-2011, 09:26 AM

I tore my first pair by trying to pull them off from the tip. The trick is to get your nail under the bottom and prise them off that way (pushing rather than pulling).

Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM

I Bought a 5 pack ( i think) of T-400 medium for about $22 US on my way through Atlanta in the summer.

I put a pair on my Hippo VB and junior #2 has them on his VB leaving me 3 pairs.

Problem is that I dont get anywhere near a good seal with the medium and they fall out easily whereas junior does fine on a medium.

I guess my big ears are a large but I couldnt see any mutli-size packs on sale or any single size try-out packs for large.

Finding any on sale anywhere in the UK is like looking for hen's teeth and rocking horse poo.

Anyhow, Ima persevere with them as I spent my $$ but I think it is lousey that they don't do a single size try-out pair for say $7 and then maybe a 5 or 6 pack or even a 10 pack for $40.

If I figure out a way of using foam ear defenders, Iwill give it a go. I will hit Wallmart and Walgreens to see what they have when I next come to the USA.

Darn it but the UK is becoming one heck of place of lost souls and poor retailing

Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Administrator

I never tried it but I've heard of the safety ear plugs being holed out with a leather punch. Those remove a plug of material so it doesn't close like shoving a awl through them. I see leather punches dead cheap around the 'Net. A few experimental memory foam safety plugs shouldn't cost much either. It might be worth a small investment if someone wants to experiment with making their own disposable memory foam tips.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

An easy place in the US to buy Comply tips quickly is Radio Shack. The Radio Shack stores are small, so it is easy to find the tips. There are no long lines in Radio Shack(except perhaps on Black Friday). Radio shack's prices can be high, but they sometimes have good specials. Walgreen's is usually not a good place to buy electronics. The selection is small, and prices are high. This week's advertised special there was an 8GB SD card for $20. They are $10 or less elsewhere.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 PM

@FLMikey — there's no data on how long a pair of tips will last in regards to exercise; the variables are immense! It can depend on how clean your ear canals are at the beginning and how much you sweat (those are probably the biggest). If you're going to workout with them, i would suggest getting the cheaper S-series tips instead of T or Tx. It'll save money and (my personal opinion, not the company's) is that they are better for exercise. I've never done "real" tests on lifetime of tips strictly for exercising, especially going as far as to washing them after. Sorry this isn't helpful!

also, comply is having special black friday & cyber monday specials coming up.

Last edited by skip252; 11-16-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: posts merged, please edit your previous post instead of multi posting

Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 PM

@ skip252

Great idea on the leather punch and safety foam defenders. I can borrow a punch from my FIL, now where would I buy the expanding foam defenders cheap in the USA?

Can I pick them up in a drug store or a Walmart

I think that if Comply actually did a try out single it would show more customer service than an expensive pack of 5 which now I will give to my youngest son.

It has also saddened me that they say a medium fits most people, I kinda really have huge ears. I should have known as I have always used the large single and bi-flange silicon tips but the chap in the store said that no one bought large and so they no longer kept them.

I might try and see if there is a deal on at Ratshack and take another punt on a 5 pack...large and then do the wash and rinse or use a bit of peroxide followed by a soak and rinse to keep them going longer. At this rate I will have spent more on the tips than I did on my original CX300 and that cant be right....roll on generic far east copies, nothin like competition to improve a compnaies listening skills.