android
Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 AM

Default Popping Sound When Charging?

Whenever I listen to my Zune with it charging (not a Zune charger, but a nice 4-usb port one), I get a mild popping noise through my earphones.

Does this happen with all Zunes, or is it my charger? If so, is it harming my Zune?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Idrk much about this, but it will probably hurt your Zune (most likely kill the battery) if its too high voltage. I think the official Zune charger is 4.9V, but im not sure. I get a light (and breif) popping noise when i turn the sound down between 0 and 1 volume. Also when it restarts. If you have this too are they the same?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 AM

A "popping" sound can also hurt your headphones over time and if it's real strong once could do the trick :/

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-28-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Jackson View Post
I get a light (and breif) popping noise when i turn the sound down between 0 and 1 volume. Also when it restarts. If you have this too are they the same?
I have this too, but that's not it. It's a constant quiet-but-enough-to-be-annoying pop.

Should I get an official charger?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Read your chargers. I am 99% sure that you will see that the current is rated at 1000mAh or 1Ah. That's twice the current output of a computer usb port (500mAh). My cheap as hell charger that I have is this way, and it messes with the screen so that I can't really do anything with it if it's plugged in this way. If this is the case, don't worry about it harming your Zune. I use mine all the time and it still has pretty much the same battery life. Because of the funk with the screen, I don't use it while it's plugged in, so I don't know if it makes a popping noise or not.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Huh. When I got my Zune, I recieved a cheap charger that did the weird screen-funk thing. I never used it again as it scared me.

The charger I've been using (not the cheap one) doesn't freeze up or do anything to my Zune. It works normally and perfectly, except the odd popping noise. Well, I'm glad I probably have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmaster765 View Post
Whenever I listen to my Zune with it charging (not a Zune charger, but a nice 4-usb port one), I get a mild popping noise through my earphones.
Might be an electrical arc between your ears. Does it make you warm and fuzzy all over?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The charger I've been using (not the cheap one) doesn't freeze up or do anything to my Zune. It works normally and perfectly, except the odd popping noise. Well, I'm glad I probably have nothing to worry about.
Hmmm... Did you buy it online? Do you have a link you could share with me or info like what brand it is and what store you bought it from? I really want one that leaves my Zune usable while charging.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Hmmm... Did you buy it online? Do you have a link you could share with me or info like what brand it is and what store you bought it from? I really want one that leaves my Zune usable while charging.
I got it from Wal-Mart.

I found it online also. It's from Music Power called the Quartet

Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I got it from Wal-Mart.

I found it online also. It's from Music Power called the Quartet
Thanks so much, man! If this really doesn't make my screen flip out, that'll be so sweet. Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 PM

I have the official V1 Zune charger (5V, 1.5A), and it as well makes the screen behave in a weird way. In fact, I think the behaviour is not due to the design or the output of the charger, I believe the behaviour is due to the charger messing with the ground potential of the device. It seems when the user is insulated from the device (even a very thin silicone case will decouple the device from the user), the capacitive touch screen is prevented from working properly. The easy solution is to remove the case (if you have one), and constantly touch the metal back of the device while using it. I can use the device 100% while charging, as long as I'm in contact with the metal back of the device.

As for the popping sound, it may be caused by static discharges messing with the headphones. The driver inside the headphone is (by design) extremely sensitive to changes in electric currents, and any small static charges in your clothes etc. may find a path to ground via the headphones and the device (which is connected to ground through the wall socket and the charger), causing a popping sound.

Let me know if this helps.

Last edited by anlin; 07-06-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yea... The first part you said isn't the same as what I'm talking about. I'm well aware of the case issue. When my Zune is plugged in, it doesn't just flicker a little like what you're describing. There are phantom presses (around where the plus sign is normally on the media menu) and that's what makes it unusable.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:17 AM

Your original post doesn't say anything about phantom touches, just talks about the screen acting all funky. This is precisely what the screen does with the charger plugged in. Granted, I don't get the phantom touch behaviour you are decscribing, but I still get multiple touches per second around the place the finger is on the screen at the time. This makes sliding gestures impossible, and pretty much renders the device useless.

Anyways, you could consider one of these:

as an alternative to saxmaster's charger. They can be had on ebay for less than $5. I've had one for a year now with absolutely no problems whatsoever. It is a bit on the large side, but the quality and price can't be matched.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@anlin, yes, my full description is in another thread somewhere down the page. Thanks for trying to help, but I think I'm going to go with the quartet because I could use the extra ports.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 PM

The Quartet is now being sold on ThinkGeek here.

In different news, the popping noise was not actually the charger's fault. It was actually interference of some form from a fan I have running when I sleep (I can't sleep well in complete silence). When I turn my fan off, the popping stops.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh, I've also noticed lately that when the volume on the player is turned up very high, it gives a popping sound when changing volume, even if not playing anything at the time.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Oh, I've also noticed lately that when the volume on the player is turned up very high, it gives a popping sound when changing volume, even if not playing anything at the time.
Yes. I also have noticed this.

Tags
zune zune zune puppy zune